Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor

Military Cosplay

Okay, so I've been thinking. I would love to cosplay and all that jazz, go to an event or whatever, and have some fun. Well...I have come to the conclusion that I suck at making things. Nor do I like spending money just for a costume. So, here's my question. I am an extensive airsoft player, so I have some gear. Like military vests, clothes, balaclava, goggles, and the like. How is military-ish "cosplay" viewed by er...The peeps at the events? Because I downright love the look of military stuff (can't get enough of gas masks, which I have several of) and would it be acceptable at an anime/game/whatever convention? So help me out all you knowledgeable, awesome cosplaying veterans! (I'm new to this, if that helps any)
DaKKaDaKKa100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Yea totally dude, I've seen plenty of military-ish cosplays. I suppose you should mostly look in to video games for a specific character, but you really don't need a character to dress up. Just remember to act appropriately because if you're wearing something that looks like fatigues someone may get touchy if they have family in the service. Ya know? I only say that because it's an easily offended world we live in.

Speaking of gas masks, have you ever seen Commissars from Warhammer 40k? They use em, but they don't look like normal military.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdll...0/comissar.jpg

terrible pic but....it's so hard to find good commissar pics
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Yea totally dude, I've seen plenty of military-ish cosplays. I suppose you should mostly look in to video games for a specific character, but you really don't need a character to dress up. Just remember to act appropriately because if you're wearing something that looks like fatigues someone may get touchy if they have family in the service. Ya know? I only say that because it's an easily offended world we live in.

Speaking of gas masks, have you ever seen Commissars from Warhammer 40k? They use em, but they don't look like normal military.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdll...0/comissar.jpg

terrible pic but....it's so hard to find good commissar pics
If there is anything I love, it's Warhammer 40K. If I could, I would go as a Death Korps of Krieg guardsmen, but alas, I don't have the money nor the sources to obtain such items necessary.
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Luminary703

Kind of in the same boat. I really dig the whole post-apocalyptic bandit look by pairing goggles/gas mask with a cool hat or something. Planning on wearing a black undershirt (wifebeater to be more accurate but I hate that nomenclature lol) and BDU pants with knee pads and combat boots. I don't know what type of cosplay this would be considered but it's not based off a character or anything though I draw inspiration from "freedom fighters" or bandits kind of like the guy on the cover of Boarderlands. I'm also afraid people will ask what my "cosplay" is from as I won't have an answer lol. This will be my first time cosplaying and I have no idea how people are going to react. I'm freaking excited but scared at the same time -_-. I'm also horrible at sewing and stuff but plan to paint some of my gear to give it a worn rusted metal look so there is a touch of customization to my costume.

Last edited by Luminary703 : 08-05-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Luminary703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Long as you play within common sense (make sure you don't bring working weaponry/get it peacebonded and such, remove masks and the like in non-con areas to not freak out "Normies", etc.), there's usually no problem with it at cons. Either just throwing something cool-looking together, or doing a military-based actual cosplay with your stuff.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Long as you play within common sense (make sure you don't bring working weaponry/get it peacebonded and such,
Okay...So would bringing an actual airsoft gun be a no no? And...sorry for my ignorance but what is peacebounded mean?
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKKaDaKKa100 View Post
Okay...So would bringing an actual airsoft gun be a no no? And...sorry for my ignorance but what is peacebounded mean?
Most cons don't allow anything that can shoot a projectile, even if it's not loaded. Peacebound is when they put a bright neon colored tag on the prop so as to let all staff no it's safe. Check your local cons weapons policy to see what they permit.
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
Luminary703

Quote:
I think I saw airsoft guns at Otakon but I could be wrong. If there weren't then they were some really accurate looking guns. I'd imagine it would be quite difficult to make an AR15 look that authentic without it being airsoft.
Luminary703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Most of my costumes involve military gear of some sort. I have all my weapons constantly peace bound with zip ties. And I make sure it's either easy to hide for pictures or black. If con ops asks I move my hand and show them the zip tie and they generally let me go on my way.
dagmarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
Most of my costumes involve military gear of some sort. I have all my weapons constantly peace bound with zip ties. And I make sure it's either easy to hide for pictures or black. If con ops asks I move my hand and show them the zip tie and they generally let me go on my way.
Alrighty then! How do you exactly zip tie a gun so it doesn't get taken away or whatever?
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Alrighty then! How do you exactly zip tie a gun so it doesn't get taken away or whatever?
The con staff will do it for you
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
The con staff will do it for you
Well this is turning out much more smoothly than I expected. Thank ya kindly friends!
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
Pvt sleepy

Quote:
Well this is turning out much more smoothly than I expected. Thank ya kindly friends!
I'm glad you asked about it because I had the same question. I've been looking at building a complete multicam bdu with all the molle accessories, but there isn't really a particular character that I can think of that wears that.
Pvt sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #14
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Cosplaying can be anything =3 Don't feel restricted.
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Yeah, either the con security will do it, or you just wrap it around the trigger.
dagmarus is online now   Reply With Quote