Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair
 
supergeekgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,497
This is actually quite common, especially at sf&f cons. You see people sometimes in a mix of militaria they picked up online and at surplus stories. It just looks cool, so they put it together. Some people throw a fit when it's not even the same era or country worn together, but most people understand that it's a costume and don't even blink.

I've only once had a con that wouldn't let me carry airsoft with a zip tie on it. That was Anime Nebraskon. 'Course, they let the 501st guys carry pretty realistic blasters, but whatever. Just know that some cons won't let you carry them even with a tag or peace bond.
__________________
Cons 2014 - Ahn!Con | Kawa Kon | Wizard World St. Louis | Costume-Con | Marcon | Cosplacon | Dragon*Con | Archon | Chicago TARDIS
In Progress- Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale | Jonathan Strange from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell | Madeline Westen from Burn Notice
Misha's Costumes in Progress- Mr Norrell from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor
 
DaKKaDaKKa100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Okay! so I got like...Half a cosplays worth! I guess I'll post pics on this thread since I made it! Also I dunno what moved means so I apologize for putting this thread in the wrong place! Hokay so Here is some pics! The only difference in them is the head wear-
With Soviet Russian gas mask
http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/...cosplay023.jpg
Olive drab balaclava and military hat
http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/...cosplay022.jpg
Czech Gas mask and Swedish WWII helmet
http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/...cosplay021.jpg

And yes I do realize the Helmet is rather...er...outdated? But I still think it looks cool! I'll eventually get around to getting some proper pants but In my opinion, jeans look just fine to me with military stuff. Any hoot, shout out some suggestions or criticism or whatevs!
DaKKaDaKKa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,395
Looks cool to me. Specially the Soviet gas masks. I have a thing for the old, creepy-looking fullface ones...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor
 
DaKKaDaKKa100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Looks cool to me. Specially the Soviet gas masks. I have a thing for the old, creepy-looking fullface ones...
I'd have to agree with that. The Soviet one seems to have a better...er...fear factor, than the rest of them. The only con to that mask is once you put it on, no one can hear you talk. At all. It muffles your voice really bad.
DaKKaDaKKa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair
 
supergeekgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,497
Looks good. Only issue I see is that some cons won't allow you to wear face-covering masks in the lobby. I've been to a few of those. Make sure it's easy for you to remove.
__________________
Cons 2014 - Ahn!Con | Kawa Kon | Wizard World St. Louis | Costume-Con | Marcon | Cosplacon | Dragon*Con | Archon | Chicago TARDIS
In Progress- Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale | Jonathan Strange from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell | Madeline Westen from Burn Notice
Misha's Costumes in Progress- Mr Norrell from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #21
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor
 
DaKKaDaKKa100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
Looks good. Only issue I see is that some cons won't allow you to wear face-covering masks in the lobby. I've been to a few of those. Make sure it's easy for you to remove.
The Russian mask is by far the easiest to take off. You just pull up on the er...snout? And BOOM it's off lol
DaKKaDaKKa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #22
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast
 
dagmarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKKaDaKKa100 View Post

And yes I do realize the Helmet is rather...er...outdated? But I still think it looks cool! I'll eventually get around to getting some proper pants but In my opinion, jeans look just fine to me with military stuff. Any hoot, shout out some suggestions or criticism or whatevs!
Dude, unless you're going for a specific era, I wouldn't worry about it. Though, I wouldn't do the jeans. Simple cargo pants are always a good look for military. I do a human resistance costume from Terminator, and it's all over the place.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...362270_n.j pg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...701940 _n.jpg

The camo pants are cargoes from Target that I tore up and dirtied up. The vest is a usually a flak jacket more common in Vietnam, some of the pouches are vietnam era, the knife is WWII, the harness is Korean war, and everything else is modern. Even the ruck sack is a large musette bag from around WWII. I say, go nuts, man. Have fun with it.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #23
Luminary703
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
Dude, unless you're going for a specific era, I wouldn't worry about it. Though, I wouldn't do the jeans. Simple cargo pants are always a good look for military. I do a human resistance costume from Terminator, and it's all over the place.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...362270_n.j pg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...701940 _n.jpg

The camo pants are cargoes from Target that I tore up and dirtied up. The vest is a usually a flak jacket more common in Vietnam, some of the pouches are vietnam era, the knife is WWII, the harness is Korean war, and everything else is modern. Even the ruck sack is a large musette bag from around WWII. I say, go nuts, man. Have fun with it.
That's pretty sweet that the con let you use metal for your props. This upcoming one I'm going to be attending I wanted to do some sort of freedom fighter costume with a punkish vibe to it. Just found out I can't have anything that could have shot a projectile before modifications and it can not contain metal . What kind of freedom fighter would I be if I didn't sport an AK!?! Lame... I also wanted to carry a replica Python in a cross strap shoulder holster with some fake rounds on the sash part of it but again... no metal... The hell man.
Luminary703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast
 
dagmarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,291
Actually, y'know what? The knife is rubber. But they NEVER check, which is something that confuses me. They make sure my MINIGUN is peace-bonded, but not the more likely real knife that's hanging on my chest.
__________________
'I am a beautiful animal!

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #25
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor
 
DaKKaDaKKa100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
Actually, y'know what? The knife is rubber. But they NEVER check, which is something that confuses me. They make sure my MINIGUN is peace-bonded, but not the more likely real knife that's hanging on my chest.
That worries me just a tad bit. They should be a bit more...observant. But yea, I'll start lookin around for some cargo pants. I don't get paid for a little while so I won't have any for a bit. Does anyone know where I could get some cheap combat boots?
DaKKaDaKKa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #26
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast
 
dagmarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,291
Copshoes.com usually has some decent deals. That's usually where I get mine.
__________________
'I am a beautiful animal!

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #27
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,395
I buy mine from Army Surplus. The one near me has shelves upon shelves of gently used ones and overstocks, for usually around $30, maybe $40. And since they're actually made for being worn and used, they're awesome everyday boots (though now with it being summer, and with my job requiring me to change my shoes in the winter, I haven't worn them in quite some time in favour of slip-on winter boots. Since the laces take effing forever to undo)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #28
Pvt sleepy
Registered User
 
Pvt sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
I've never done real military cosplay before, but I just found a real, unused M-40 gas mask with canister and extra lenses for $50. Should I buy it?
Pvt sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #29
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor
 
DaKKaDaKKa100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Dang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt sleepy View Post
I've never done real military cosplay before, but I just found a real, unused M-40 gas mask with canister and extra lenses for $50. Should I buy it?
For only $50? Heck yea I'd go for it.
DaKKaDaKKa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #30
Umbra.Exe
Loves bad puns
 
Umbra.Exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 93
DaKKaDaKKa100, in response to your first post, you could get away with wearing all that military stuff if you make it look like a specific character. I know a lot of characters from the Metal Gear series wear military stuff. Especially MGS3, I think... (I tried to make a Big Boss costume a while back, but kinda failed... )

I think Snake even wears a mask similar to the Russian one you have (for only one cutscene, though). It's not exactly the same, of course. (You can see it at about 2:50 in this video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wEMSHFOGxk

(The character Psycho Mantis wears a gas mask too.)

And the pic you posted with the balaclava looks a little bit like the random guards in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFTlJYRInbw

Of course, you don't have to look like any particular character. People dress up as original characters at cons, so I don't see anything wrong with military cosplay!

By the way, what sort of places do you guys get your stuff from? I know army surplus stores have been mentioned, are there any other places? I'm not going to work on my Metal Gear costumes for a while, but it would be nice to know.
Umbra.Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.