Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #31
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra.Exe View Post

(The character Psycho Mantis wears a gas mask too.)

And the pic you posted with the balaclava looks a little bit like the random guards in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFTlJYRInbw

Of course, you don't have to look like any particular character. People dress up as original characters at cons, so I don't see anything wrong with military cosplay!

By the way, what sort of places do you guys get your stuff from? I know army surplus stores have been mentioned, are there any other places? I'm not going to work on my Metal Gear costumes for a while, but it would be nice to know.
I actually never thought of Psycho Mantis! I've gotten the gas masks from Army surplus. The vest and such I got from uhh...Airsoft GI I believe. And the shirt I just so happened to have lol I could do the guard too! I just need a camo hoodie

Last edited by DaKKaDaKKa100 : 08-11-2011 at 03:51 PM.
DaKKaDaKKa100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #32
Pvt sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKKaDaKKa100 View Post
For only $50? Heck yea I'd go for it.
well, the seller just informed me that, "I got it off a buddy who was deploying and then got out."

Isn't that very illegal?
Pvt sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #33
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt sleepy View Post
well, the seller just informed me that, "I got it off a buddy who was deploying and then got out."

Isn't that very illegal?
Er...Well, yea kinda. I actually know a few guys in the military and they almost ALWAYS sneak stuff out to sell or just keep. A buddy of mine got a smoke grenade and a simulation mortar shell from his brother in the military.
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #34
Holme Peros
2+2=4 *slap* 2+2=5? *pat*

Quote:
Er...Well, yea kinda. I actually know a few guys in the military and they almost ALWAYS sneak stuff out to sell or just keep. A buddy of mine got a smoke grenade and a simulation mortar shell from his brother in the military.
It is very illegal... I'm in the USN and that is considered US property, so if they got caught they will go to jail. Uniform items are fine it's things like equipment like that stuff where people get in trouble.

As far a military cosplay I love seeing people when they do a post-apocalyptic or zombie inspired military cosplays

Blind Mag (Repo! The Genetic Opera)
~ Planned~
Holme Peros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #35
DaKKaDaKKa100
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holme Peros View Post
It is very illegal... I'm in the USN and that is considered US property, so if they got caught they will go to jail. Uniform items are fine it's things like equipment like that stuff where people get in trouble.

As far a military cosplay I love seeing people when they do a post-apocalyptic or zombie inspired military cosplays
Then this works out! Since I suppose gas masks could be considered either one. They always wear them in zombie movies. And its just an apocalyptic symbol.
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #36
Pvt sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holme Peros View Post

So what should I do? Should I report it and turn it in? I really wish I had asked the seller that question earlier. And asked someone in the military about its legal status earlier.

Quote:
Then this works out! Since I suppose gas masks could be considered either one. They always wear them in zombie movies. And its just an apocalyptic symbol.
I love post apocalyptic stuff, too. I've really wanted to make a quasi-military-post-apocalyptic costume ever since I started reading Romantically Apocalyptic.

Even if I do that, though, I'd like to someday make a regular military cosplay. Through military surplus stores, I can make a complete UCP ACU for about $400, or a multicam ACU for $600. But I'd like to have a specific character to base it on. I was thinking something from a first person shooter, but I don't know what to pick. Also, if I do make a US army costume, do you think it is acceptable to use the old PASGT K-pot, or do I need to go for accuracy and use the MICH-2000? I just think the old one looks cooler.
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #37
Jkid
Cosplaying Photographer

I did bought some military uniforms from a thrift store where I live, in preparation for Anime USA 2011. Maybe use the uniform for a convention veteran uniform with all the pin's I've collected from past conventions I went to.

Also something to add.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0738 (Medium).JPG (76.8 KB, 0 views)
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #38
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Quote:
So what should I do? Should I report it and turn it in? I really wish I had asked the seller that question earlier. And asked someone in the military about its legal status earlier.
Honestly, you probably won't catch any shit for it. It's not like it's a dangerous weapon or item, so you'll be fine.

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #39
~Alandra~
Big Sister

Just making sure if anyone buys a gasmask from an Army Surplus, or even off of ebay to check to see how old the filter is on it. The filters made from the 30s- 60/70's most likely have asbestos in them. I tossed out the old filter that came with my old WW2 Belguim, didnt trust it very well.

Anyways I find post-apocalyptic military styled costumes the coolest ones around. I did my own P.A. Outfit based off of Rosie the Riviter and had a gasmask to go along with it. Fun stuff ^^

More of my works..
https://www.facebook.com/AlandraCosplay
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeekyStrawberry
~Alandra~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #40
Pvt sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
Honestly, you probably won't catch any shit for it. It's not like it's a dangerous weapon or item, so you'll be fine.
I hope your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Alandra~ View Post
Just making sure if anyone buys a gasmask from an Army Surplus, or even off of ebay to check to see how old the filter is on it. The filters made from the 30s- 60/70's most likely have asbestos in them. I tossed out the old filter that came with my old WW2 Belguim, didnt trust it very well.

Anyways I find post-apocalyptic military styled costumes the coolest ones around. I did my own P.A. Outfit based off of Rosie the Riviter and had a gasmask to go along with it. Fun stuff ^^
The m-40 was introduced around the late 80's, early 90's, so it should be safe, right?

P.S. Does anyone know how to safely use an M-40 mask? I tried it on for a while, and now I'm afraid I've lost brain cells from re-inhaling CO2.

Last edited by Pvt sleepy : 08-20-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #41
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra.Exe View Post
DaKKaDaKKa100, in response to your first post, you could get away with wearing all that military stuff if you make it look like a specific character. I know a lot of characters from the Metal Gear series wear military stuff. Especially MGS3, I think... (I tried to make a Big Boss costume a while back, but kinda failed... )

I think Snake even wears a mask similar to the Russian one you have (for only one cutscene, though). It's not exactly the same, of course. (You can see it at about 2:50 in this video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wEMSHFOGxk

(The character Psycho Mantis wears a gas mask too.)

And the pic you posted with the balaclava looks a little bit like the random guards in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFTlJYRInbw

Of course, you don't have to look like any particular character. People dress up as original characters at cons, so I don't see anything wrong with military cosplay!

By the way, what sort of places do you guys get your stuff from? I know army surplus stores have been mentioned, are there any other places? I'm not going to work on my Metal Gear costumes for a while, but it would be nice to know.

Bwahaha! I know ALL FREAKING ABOUT DOING MGS cosplay.

Somewhere on the MGS thread, I listed all of the items you need to make an MGS3 Big Boss. I made The Boss for myself and Big Boss for my best friend.

And I love Psycho Mantis!

Sorry, had to cut in since my favorite series had been the topic of a post.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #42
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Quote:
I hope your right.

The m-40 was introduced around the late 80's, early 90's, so it should be safe, right?

P.S. Does anyone know how to safely use an M-40 mask? I tried it on for a while, and now I'm afraid I've lost brain cells from re-inhaling CO2.
The question here is, are you sure you know how to use it? I'm in the Marines and we just recently started to rotate the M40 out, and if you don't know how to use it properly, it would cause damage. Also, note this, if you have a black canister for your M40, don't use it. Its been tested that after prolonged use, 6 Months, it may cause cancer. So, don't use it at all, find a OD Green one or take it apart, gut it out and clean it.

2014 cons: Shatterdome Con for sure, and maybe other local ones like AUSA.

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #43
Pvt sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
The question here is, are you sure you know how to use it? I'm in the Marines and we just recently started to rotate the M40 out, and if you don't know how to use it properly, it would cause damage. Also, note this, if you have a black canister for your M40, don't use it. Its been tested that after prolonged use, 6 Months, it may cause cancer. So, don't use it at all, find a OD Green one or take it apart, gut it out and clean it.
Son of a cylon, is there anything that doesn't cause cancer these days? Well, since it's for cosplay, I'll gut it. Should I clean it with soap and water, or what? Also, are you phasing out the M-40 for the M-50?
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #44
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Quote:
Son of a cylon, is there anything that doesn't cause cancer these days? Well, since it's for cosplay, I'll gut it. Should I clean it with soap and water, or what? Also, are you phasing out the M-40 for the M-50?
According to the state of California, everything can cause cancer, lawlz.

Once gutted, dish soap and water should be fine, better if you a dishwasher. Windex-ing it wouldn't hurt too.

And yes, we are now getting M50's.

2014 cons: Shatterdome Con for sure, and maybe other local ones like AUSA.

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #45
Pvt sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
According to the state of California, everything can cause cancer, lawlz.

Once gutted, dish soap and water should be fine, better if you a dishwasher. Windex-ing it wouldn't hurt too.

And yes, we are now getting M50's.
Thanks for the help! Now does anyone know what I should use the mask for? I was thinking about doing a post-apocalyptic cosplay, but I'd really like to do a military one, too.