Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #61
Pvt sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
Throat pro: you see those two buttons on the yolk that has the red stain? Thats where the throat pro connects to. The two buttons on each side then a velcro piece on the front of the flak.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
Helmet cover: Those are not meant to come on helmet tight. There is going to be a lot slack with it.
Are you sure? Because most of the images I have seen have the cover being more form-fitting, better-showing the part of the helmet that descends to cover the ears and neck. Some of these pictures make the covers look almost elastic.

I decided that the cosplay I am going to do is an ASA soldier from the TV series Jericho. I already have the patch, and I love the show. The only thing I'm having trouble with is finding goggle covers. Do you know where I could buy any?
Pvt sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #62
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Hmmm.. I see what you mean here. I guess the Army ones just fit better... The ones that we use, along with other helmets for airsofting and such, have some slack to them. If you do have slack, then its because the makers you got it from made it in the USMC style, just with the ACU pattern.

The 'Jericho' link doesnt work, what do you mean by cover? If you are talking about that heavy cloth that the Soldier wears over his goggles in you first link. You can't really buy those..or at least I don't think so. They normally supposed to come with new goggles. But alas, if you are missing one, you take a boot sock thats old or an odd one out, chop off the 'foot' part, take off one end of the goggle strap, and just slide on the 'tube' part of the sock and reconnect the strap, then adjust it back to your fit.

2014 cons: Shatterdome Con for sure, and maybe other local ones like AUSA.

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #63
Pvt sleepy

Yeah, I bought the one made for the Advanced Combat Helmet, but I just can't get it to fit like it does in the pictures. I do have a PASGT style helmet, so I think I'll try fitting it on there to see if that works better. (Also, both helmets I have sit very high up on my head. I had to remove most of the pads from the ACH helmet, but the PASGT's padding doesn't seem like it's supposed to be removable. I ordered the size larges, but it still feel like if sits too high. Is that normal, I do I just have a big head?)

That's a good idea! None of the goggles I can find appear to come with one, but it shouldn't be hard to make my own.
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #64
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt sleepy View Post
Yeah, I bought the one made for the Advanced Combat Helmet, but I just can't get it to fit like it does in the pictures. I do have a PASGT style helmet, so I think I'll try fitting it on there to see if that works better. (Also, both helmets I have sit very high up on my head. I had to remove most of the pads from the ACH helmet, but the PASGT's padding doesn't seem like it's supposed to be removable. I ordered the size larges, but it still feel like if sits too high. Is that normal, I do I just have a big head?)

That's a good idea! None of the goggles I can find appear to come with one, but it shouldn't be hard to make my own.
Well, before getting all technical with different helmets and such. You should know that, yeah a maker of helmet cover says its for a specific helmet, note that they aren't the helmet makers usually. So there will likely be a bit of a size difference, or even a large size difference, something like a different measuring system. If you ask me, I wouldn't worry about it too much about it. The helmets are a weird shape and weirder pattern for the covers (from a sewing point of view)...

Unread 10-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #65
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

Pvt Sleepy, is your ACU infantry costume based on a character?
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #66
Pvt sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomtango1 View Post
Pvt Sleepy, is your ACU infantry costume based on a character?
Not a specific character, but I am going to add a removable ASA patch from Jericho so it looks like an ASA soldier, until I think of something better. Do you have any suggestions?
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #67
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

No suggestions really, but if I may be frank, personally I would base it on a character rather than just going as an accurate US Army infantryman. It's not my intention to start an argument. I think you're putting a lot of effort into finding the right pieces which is fantastic and shows you care, but I suppose I prefer to see military cosplays that have an obvious tie to characters or a theme (ie. post apocalyptic). Mainly because as someone who's actually in the military, I do see that uniform as a special thing, and hold the people that wear it to a higher standard. We earn it. Some people will not like the idea of a person just "cosplaying" a Soldier, Airman, Sailor, Marine, or Coastie. Do be prepared to get that sort of feedback if you wear it out and have no character.

Again, not my intention to make you feel bad, but I do think you should be aware that dressing up as an accurate modern soldier from OIF/OEF will not sit well with certain people. Some may flat out tell you what they think, others may not. You may get feedback immediately, or it may take awhile. But prepare yourself for that possibility. Personally, I do not agree with it, but it is a free country and you can do what you want with that uniform so long as it isn't for personal gain and you don't disrespect the people that earn their living in that uniform.
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #68
Pvt sleepy

I understand your concern and I appreciate you bringing it up. I did not intend to use the uniform by itself for cosplay, but I wanted to do a character with that uniform because I already had so many pieces from scenario paintball, which I don't get to do very often. The Allied States of America soldier was because I'm a huge fan of Jericho, but you're right that to most people it will probably just like a generic US army uniform. And I would never intend to disrespect anyone in the military. I'm not trying to pose as someone who has served. I just thought I would try to put my equipment to good use before selling it (our paintball group broke up around the same time as I got invested in the equipment, which was only a few weeks ago.). That's why I appreciate you telling me this so I don't accidentally offend anyone. I originally hoped to do cosplay from Modern Warfare 2, but since I won't have finished it until after Modern Warfare 3 comes out, that really isn't an option anymore. But you're probably right. I'll sell it to someone who can put it to better use.

Last edited by Pvt sleepy : 10-25-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #69
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

I don't see anything wrong with going as someone from Jericho (I'm not familiar with many comics or games), because you have a character to tie it into. I'd also hate to see you sell it if you want to keep it. I was more concerned with anybody getting an accurate uniform and battle rattle together, going out, and acting like they're in Iraq or Afghanistan. That's what I would be concerned about. Yes, I'm sure the Jericho uniform is accurate, and I wouldn't recognize it as such, but at least it is a character and you can explain that and people would be aware. Honestly, if I met someone who was strictly cosplaying a Soldier from our recent wars and had no character from a series, I'd probably have some words with them. Because if they're not in the military, then they just look like they want to dress up and play a bad***, and that's obnoxious. But if they are actually in the military, I'd tell them that they should know better than to wear the uniform on unofficial business.

Again, that's just my personal opinion. I was under the impression you (or others) might be acquiring these uniforms for cosplay as actual military members. So it's just my warning that if people are intersted in doing that, there is the possibility they won't be well received by some people. Which I know cosplaying has its elitists which are easily offended, but this is a much touchier and more significant faux pas than "You didn't get Axel's wig right" or "Your Boba Fett's all wrong."
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #70
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Most of us here do cosplays from games, and sometimes animes, protraying specific characters. Being in the military, I do see your concern in that, and I do agree. At the same time, we cosplay as well, not a lot though, part of the very few, really. Games that take place modern era allows to cosplay from such titles easily. If anything, we a significantly more accurate and authentic. With that, we also (at least Marines) do not go around and say "we are cosplaying our jobs".

Unread 11-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #71
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

anyone know where to get a good tatical vest? im planing on making some mil cosplay, even though i do have some uniforms most of them are formal and don't really fit as a character. even though i have a full suit of jungle camo
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #72
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
anyone know where to get a good tatical vest? im planing on making some mil cosplay, even though i do have some uniforms most of them are formal and don't really fit as a character. even though i have a full suit of jungle camo
Do you have a local surplus store I would start their first. What type of Tat. Vest are you looking for.
Unread 11-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #73
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

just do an eBay search on tactical vest and you will get all the ideas you will ever need

Unread 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #74
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
Do you have a local surplus store I would start their first. What type of Tat. Vest are you looking for.
well something if i wore it for a cosplay would reconize it as tatical vest; but it just would depend on what was in stock im not looking for anything in preticlular quite yet
Unread 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #75
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

Tactical.