Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #76
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...
 
Leadmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,204
Having served I don't see the problem with civilians wearing military kit. As long as it doesn't include unit specific insignia.
__________________
Next Convention
London Comic Con - May '13

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #77
Scorpion89
The Master
 
Scorpion89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadmill View Post
Having served I don't see the problem with civilians wearing military kit. As long as it doesn't include unit specific insignia.
I don't have an issue with Specific Unit Badges why are you against folks wearing them.
__________________
Check out my photographs at,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/
Scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #78
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae
 
eBay Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,888
Because its basically saying "I was part of this unit". Which would most likely be a real life unit that has been deployed numerous times and suffered casualties. Its respect to those who actually served in the unit.
__________________
Scarlet Impaler Cosplay!

2014 cons: Whatever happens down in Pensacola or where ever life takes me!

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #79
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn
 
kuroki-neko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
Because its basically saying "I was part of this unit". Which would most likely be a real life unit that has been deployed numerous times and suffered casualties. Its respect to those who actually served in the unit.
what about military school uniforms? i don't think there is much of a difference between them and a normal school uniform. unless the the students are sent into combat while they are going to school; i can see that but if its just the cloth and buttons and no patches or anything detailing of any rank or involvement in anything military and is just being worn as a part of an outfit i don't see a problem. when its like that with no patches or rank its just a military style jacket/shirt/ article of clothing.
__________________
my cosplay group page (all for love)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/All...77427085622442
kuroki-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #80
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae
 
eBay Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,888
I see it the same way. It goes along with wearing Camouflage pants and such out in town. as long its doesn't have insignias, ranks, name tapes, its just an article of clothing. Unless you are talking about clothing articles from Service and Dress uniforms, the real fancy stuff you see in commercials. Fine line between Cammies and Service/Dress.

Now, I'm not so sure about military schools, because I never attended one, but my guess is that it might be alright in the name of Cosplay, but not an out in town deal. If you are wearing said uniforms out in the streets and you run into someone who attended said military school, they might not be happy. So, I'd be careful about the whole thing.
__________________
Scarlet Impaler Cosplay!

2014 cons: Whatever happens down in Pensacola or where ever life takes me!

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #81
Scorpion89
The Master
 
Scorpion89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
Because its basically saying "I was part of this unit". Which would most likely be a real life unit that has been deployed numerous times and suffered casualties. Its respect to those who actually served in the unit.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you and I can back it up wit the following items.

I'm a Living History reactor I mainly do US Civil War and WWI I belong to 7 different Federal Units including The 3rd US Reg Inf. if that one doesn't ring a bell I'll tell you who they are they are the Honor Guard for Arlington. We have had many talks with the men and women of the 3rd about this very subject and they always tell us that we are their connection to their past.

Every Federal Unit I belong to does stuff with today's unit, we wear unit patches that are for that period of time.

As for Cosplay stuff wearing an Unit patch doesn't mean you were/are in that unit hell most of ther Cosplay Military Style stuff I see have very different types of unit patches.
__________________
Check out my photographs at,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/
Scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #82
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn
 
kuroki-neko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
I see it the same way. It goes along with wearing Camouflage pants and such out in town. as long its doesn't have insignias, ranks, name tapes, its just an article of clothing. Unless you are talking about clothing articles from Service and Dress uniforms, the real fancy stuff you see in commercials. Fine line between Cammies and Service/Dress.

Now, I'm not so sure about military schools, because I never attended one, but my guess is that it might be alright in the name of Cosplay, but not an out in town deal. If you are wearing said uniforms out in the streets and you run into someone who attended said military school, they might not be happy. So, I'd be careful about the whole thing.
true but i see that most military uniforms really fit to my figure and look good on me; such as i have a few uniforms for roleplay/cosplay/ film making purposes. ill never wear the ones of rank out in public.


and i agree, but there are costumes/uniforms for cosplay that look like real miltary unifroms. but alot of us cannot remove the patches without damaging the cloth that its on. but isnt wearing a military school uniform like wearing a football jersey? your not a part of the team your just wearing it for the passion of the moment.
__________________
my cosplay group page (all for love)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/All...77427085622442
kuroki-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #83
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com
 
Phantomtango1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 286
I disagree with the military school uniform being like wearing a football jersey. Again, people have to earn that uniform (even in military schools). Wearing one around because it looks great or "cool" seems a bit off to me. Especially if it was a fully uniform and/or has insignia on it, that I just don't comprehend at all. If I was in less of a mood I'd go right ahead and say if you want to wear it, then earn it. But a blank uniform with no patches/insignia is just clothing. So I have little to no problem with that (with the exception of someone wearing blank service dress around).

And I'm sure that some football players would probably say the same thing about Joe Schmo wearing a jersey without working for it. It's all about personal perception.

Scorpion, I understand your argument, but that's a unique case with the Old Guard and I personally don't see that argument applying when people talk about cosplaying modern military uniforms of currently active units. Your Civil War and WWI reenactment probably won't offend anyone because no one's around to have served from those wars. Yes, you are a connection to the past. There's a much higher risk of ruffling people's feathers if someone cosplays a unit currently involved (and we all are) in modern wars. Especially if you run into someone who isn't familiar with Cosplay, in which case to them it looks like the cosplayer is just trying to dress up and play war.
__________________

Last edited by Phantomtango1 : 11-17-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Phantomtango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #84
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn
 
kuroki-neko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomtango1 View Post
I disagree with the military school uniform being like wearing a football jersey. Again, people have to earn that uniform (even in military schools). Wearing one around because it looks great or "cool" seems a bit off to me. Especially if it was a fully uniform and/or has insignia on it, that I just don't comprehend at all. If I was in less of a mood I'd go right ahead and say if you want to wear it, then earn it. But a blank uniform with no patches/insignia is just clothing. So I have little to no problem with that (with the exception of someone wearing blank service dress around).

And I'm sure that some football players would probably say the same thing about Joe Schmo wearing a jersey without working for it. It's all about personal perception.

Scorpion, I understand your argument, but that's a unique case with the Old Guard and I personally don't see that argument applying when people talk about cosplaying modern military uniforms of currently active units. Your Civil War and WWI reenactment probably won't offend anyone because no one's around to have served from those wars. Yes, you are a connection to the past. There's a much higher risk of ruffling people's feathers if someone cosplays a unit currently involved (and we all are) in modern wars. Especially if you run into someone who isn't familiar with Cosplay, in which case to them it looks like the cosplayer is just trying to dress up and play war.
i can agree with that, but normaly finishing a uniform "set" is hard if your not buying them from a surpus store.

but tons of fans wear jerseys (or whatever you call them)

but you make a good point but when this happens are renactment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSTEq...eature=related
thats just off they all know most of them are not did not serve in what have you.
__________________
my cosplay group page (all for love)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/All...77427085622442
kuroki-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #85
Holme Peros
2+2=4 *slap* 2+2=5? *pat*
 
Holme Peros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomtango1 View Post
I disagree with the military school uniform being like wearing a football jersey. Again, people have to earn that uniform (even in military schools). Wearing one around because it looks great or "cool" seems a bit off to me. Especially if it was a fully uniform and/or has insignia on it, that I just don't comprehend at all. If I was in less of a mood I'd go right ahead and say if you want to wear it, then earn it. But a blank uniform with no patches/insignia is just clothing. So I have little to no problem with that (with the exception of someone wearing blank service dress around).

And I'm sure that some football players would probably say the same thing about Joe Schmo wearing a jersey without working for it. It's all about personal perception.

Scorpion, I understand your argument, but that's a unique case with the Old Guard and I personally don't see that argument applying when people talk about cosplaying modern military uniforms of currently active units. Your Civil War and WWI reenactment probably won't offend anyone because no one's around to have served from those wars. Yes, you are a connection to the past. There's a much higher risk of ruffling people's feathers if someone cosplays a unit currently involved (and we all are) in modern wars. Especially if you run into someone who isn't familiar with Cosplay, in which case to them it looks like the cosplayer is just trying to dress up and play war.
I agree completely with Phantomtango1 (btw I love your phantom costume! I didnt know you were on this site XD found your website a while ago when looking for phantom costume help lol).

I know people I work with who have served overseas would not be happy with people wearing uniforms if its a working unit or a current uniform item because they haven't earned it.

I'm not a big fan of seeing current camis being worn for cosplay purposes because of this. It is not just an article of clothing. And not all services approve of the wearing of camis in public; for example the Navy. We are not allowed to go out and about in it. Also USMC and USN uniforms have the logo through out the pattern so even if you take the patches and what not off you can still tell that it is a US military uniform. But if the camis are not current and dont have the branches logo and you take patches off then go for it.
__________________
,.~'"'~.,,.~'"'~.,NY Comic Con,.~'"'~.,,.~'"'~.,

Blind Mag (Repo! The Genetic Opera)
~ Planned~
Holme Peros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #86
Scorpion89
The Master
 
Scorpion89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 944
Okay I think some of you missed what I said about patches so let me put it this way I cosplay three different types of Military Uniforms 2 are from Doctor Who both are UNIT one is from the classic Doctor Who Times and I wear Royal Army Stander issue Uniform for time period of early 1970s but all of the patches and badges are UNIT ones IE they say U.N.I.T on them. The other Doctor Who one is from the new shows it is a Flight Suit for the Valiant the Space Carrier I wear a modern USN Flight Suit but all of the patches are Doctor Who related along with the flight jacket I have for that cosplay.

The third is from Res Evil and while the Uniforms is modern in my case a mis-match of US Army and Royal Army all of the patches and badges are for Res Evil.

The thing is guys I go to allot of Cons and I rarely if ever see folks who are wearing Uniforms with actual Unit Patches on most if not all of them have the type of patch and badge for the character they are cosplaying.
__________________
Check out my photographs at,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/
Scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #87
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com
 
Phantomtango1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
Okay I think some of you missed what I said about patches so let me put it this way
No, we didn't. We're just speaking two different languages. You say "unit patches" to folks who are actually in the military, and we think the patches and symbols that belong to an actual military unit. And if I see someone wearing something like that who is/has never been involved with that unit, then I would have words. You get away with it for living history because you reenact Federal units from wars well in the past. But apparently, when you say "unit patches," you mean something that literally says U.N.I.T. from a TV show that I have not and will never watch.

So just be aware everyone that this stuff gets lost in translation.
__________________
Phantomtango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #88
Scorpion89
The Master
 
Scorpion89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomtango1 View Post
No, we didn't. We're just speaking two different languages. You say "unit patches" to folks who are actually in the military, and we think the patches and symbols that belong to an actual military unit. And if I see someone wearing something like that who is/has never been involved with that unit, then I would have words. You get away with it for living history because you reenact Federal units from wars well in the past. But apparently, when you say "unit patches," you mean something that literally says U.N.I.T. from a TV show that I have not and will never watch.

So just be aware everyone that this stuff gets lost in translation.
So your saying you have never watch Doctor Who ever nor have you ever watch any of the Res Evil Movies played any of the games at all.

As for wearing an Unit Patch well on my Flight Jacket I have all sort why because I earned them I'll be damn if you or anyone else will tell me I can't. Also I think you folks need to go and look at some of the Unit Patches that are worn on Cosplay military Folks none of them are Active Duty Military Units they all come from the Anime/SciFi/Manga/Shows.

As for Reacting Rev War/Civil War/WWI and WWII units there is a very big difference between that and cosplaying.
__________________
Check out my photographs at,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/
Scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #89
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com
 
Phantomtango1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
As for wearing an Unit Patch well on my Flight Jacket I have all sort why because I earned them I'll be damn if you or anyone else will tell me I can't. Also I think you folks need to go and look at some of the Unit Patches that are worn on Cosplay military Folks none of them are Active Duty Military Units they all come from the Anime/SciFi/Manga/Shows.
Stop and re-read what I wrote. If the patches aren't from real military units, then there is no problem. I don't give a crap what tv show/anime/manga whatever they're from, so long as they're fictional. Paste those all over whatever jacket you have, no one is going to care. Again, you and I are not speaking the same language when it comes to unit patches. That term to ME means something from a real military unit; to you, it means anything that looks like a unit patch but is fictional.
__________________

Last edited by Phantomtango1 : 11-25-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Phantomtango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #90
Scorpion89
The Master
 
Scorpion89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomtango1 View Post
Stop and re-read what I wrote. If the patches aren't from real military units, then there is no problem. I don't give a crap what tv show/anime/manga whatever they're from, so long as they're fictional. Paste those all over whatever jacket you have, no one is going to care. Again, you and I are not speaking the same language when it comes to unit patches. That term to ME means something from a real military unit; to you, it means anything that looks like a unit patch but is fictional.
Well first off you have never watched Doctor Who so yuo don't know the difference between U.N.I.T, and a Unit Patch or badge,

This is what U.N.I.T is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIT

As for actual Military Unit badges yep I have 15 of them on my Flight Jacket and four on My Flight Suit why because I earned them 10 years Naval Air and 4 Years of Naval Reserves.
__________________
Check out my photographs at,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/
Scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.