Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 08-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Michi_Lolita
Future Crossplayer

Ways to practice sewing inbetween cosplays?

I'm just getting into cosplay and I already know I want to make all of mine. The only problem is that the only experience I have with sewing is a half semester of a home ec. class that was devoted to sewing, and that was 3 years ago. I want some ways I can practice my sewing ability inbetween my cosplays. (I can't start my first ever cosplay for a few months. A strapless black dress for a Magnet Vocaloid costume.) Does anyone know of any? ( I might have a sewing class this year, but I really have no clue until I get my class list. Which is tomorrow I think.)

(Sorry for the bad title. I'm bad at naming these.)
Kirino Kousaka - Oreimo
Michi_Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
harmonyisarine

There are as many ways to practice sewing as you can imagine. Jo-Ann's has classes, ranging from basic to advanced, or you can just start with your own projects. Simplicity is a pattern brand with really easy designs, especially if you get the SewEasy (I think) line. Just start making some basic clothes that you'll wear normally (or pajama shirts and bottoms if you're worried about wearing something you've made where people can see when you're just starting). this will teach you the basics that you'll then be able to apply to cosplay.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Just...make stuff. Really.

If you can't find anything in patterns that you would want to make for yourself, make stuff for other people. For gifts, even. Make your mom a fleece hoodie. Make your friend a plushie. Ask your family what they might want for birthdays or Christmas that you can make yourself.

When I was a beginner sewer, I learned a lot about certain techniques by making things completely unrelated to costumes and following patterns. Sometimes patterns can make you want to tear your hair out, but sometimes they have a lot to teach. You can learn how to do collars, facings, buttonholes, linings, and other things by making clothing straight off patterns. Learn to do zippers, too. I actually learned a lot from making a set of pajamas - the two-piece kind - and lined vests for my mom. And she was quite tickled to have custom-made clothing that fit her and was made out of special fabric.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Michi_Lolita
Future Crossplayer

I'll do these things. I don't have many patterns but I can start with those.
Kirino Kousaka - Oreimo
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Mr Firefly
Dear Canadian

You could always take up tailoring jobs for your family and friends if you think you can do it! Even simple things like hemming pants to slightly trickier things like replacing zippers can help!

Do the odd crafts here and there. Find patterns or make your own for things like plushies from your favourite series, aprons, pot holders, anything! They'd make great gifts too.
Mr Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
char99char
Crazy for costumes

There is a great book - Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing - you can buy a copy from half.com for a few dollars:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Readers...224866&tg=info

Anyway - this is the book I had in school. We would make sample pieces about 10" square to sew zippers into or make buttonholes on, practice hand hemming techniques, etc.

I would also recommend buying different patterns - you can find those on sale at Wal Mart or Jo Anns- especially if you get the coupons. If you don't want to make something out of fashion fabric - buy plain muslin to practice on. Try a princess seam dress, a shirt with darts, a shirt with a set in sleeve, etc.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Zarai13

Everyone one else has some good recommendations, but I also would like to suggest the "Learn to Sew" Patterns from Simplicity. They're relatively new and cover a lot of basics.
Zarai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Michi_Lolita
Future Crossplayer

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will try these things. I'm excited to start working on my sewing.
Kirino Kousaka - Oreimo
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Michi_Lolita
Future Crossplayer

And does anyone know what I could sew out of a polyester backpack? I already have one and although this one was free I don't want to waste it.
Kirino Kousaka - Oreimo
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Pencilcase? You'd need to get a small zipper, but they're usually the same material, and easy to put together....
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
Michi_Lolita
Future Crossplayer

Thanks
Kirino Kousaka - Oreimo
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Divinita Lunare Aria

Teach yourself, that's what I did . Taking classes is nice because you'll learn new techniques from different people.

Start practicing on simple things like, making pillows, or fleece hoodies (my first ever garment I made back in the day).

Seriously, the more you sew and the more variety of garments you sew, the more experience you will get.

Get some scrap fabric and practice sewing straight hems and seams and familiarizing yourself with sewing terms and what not.

The best way to practice is to sew :3. A lot.

In between costumes you can try out new techniques for an upcoming costume.

Start with patterns. Definitely. And after you gain experience you'll start modding patterns and then creating your own.
Divinita Lunare Aria is offline   Reply With Quote