Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Assassin's Creed

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
mieu3
Registered User
 
mieu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 68
Apple of Eden

Spoilers? I want to make the Apple of Eden, but I also want to make it glow. I have no idea how to do it. I sorta made one already out of styrofoam, but it's not very pretty and is too small. And I have no idea what kind of paint to use.

Some reference pictures:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...le-of-Eden.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ppleOfEden.jpg
mieu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
~BloodCaduceus~
Future Trauma Surgeon
 
~BloodCaduceus~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 111
Hmm...perhaps some kind of opaque sphere shape that you can place a battery-powered lightbulb within?
__________________
NOW ACCEPTING WIG AND PROP COMMISSIONS!
For commission information, such as pricing, please PM me!

Next convention: NYCC (Saturday Only)
Costume: Hades from Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas

Proud Member of Cosplay Burlesque!
~BloodCaduceus~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Tflow13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
One Alternative...

I wanted to do the same thing and came up with this idea:

- Started with a 4" glowing juggling ball (I got mine here: http://www.dube.com/balls/lighted-st...ling-balls.php)
- I then drew out the basic lines from game screenshots on a 4" Styrofoam ball
- I cut out these pieces as thin as possible and glued to the juggling ball, leaving some space between each piece.
- I then covered each of the pieces with a thin layer of lightweight spackling I got from Home Depot and sanded to smooth it out once dry.
- Finally, I painted it using a sort-of dry brush technique to give it a metallic look.

It's not perfect, but does the trick for what I wanted.

Tflow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
mieu3
Registered User
 
mieu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tflow13 View Post
I wanted to do the same thing and came up with this idea:

- Started with a 4" glowing juggling ball (I got mine here: http://www.dube.com/balls/lighted-st...ling-balls.php)
- I then drew out the basic lines from game screenshots on a 4" Styrofoam ball
- I cut out these pieces as thin as possible and glued to the juggling ball, leaving some space between each piece.
- I then covered each of the pieces with a thin layer of lightweight spackling I got from Home Depot and sanded to smooth it out once dry.
- Finally, I painted it using a sort-of dry brush technique to give it a metallic look.

It's not perfect, but does the trick for what I wanted.

Do you have a picture of the final product?

I was thinking maybe I could get a softball or something and cover it with reflective tape for the glowy parts and then put clay or something over it, but I like your idea too.
mieu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo
 
Lisu-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 895
Here is how I did mine:

I bought plastic see through balls, battery powered christmas lights, glued those one the inside of the plastic ball. I cut the shapes out of craftfoam, glued those to the ball, making sure I left the opening of the plastic ball, well... open. (So I can open it to turn on and off the lights). Spraypainted the whole thing black, then used a gold acrylic paint to drybrush the craftfoam bits.
Lastly I used a little acetone to remove the black paint slightly inbetween the craftfoam, so the light would be more visible. But that's optional.

Edn result: http://orochimarisu.deviantart.com/g...et=24#/d356u0o
Lisu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Tflow13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieu3 View Post
Do you have a picture of the final product?

I was thinking maybe I could get a softball or something and cover it with reflective tape for the glowy parts and then put clay or something over it, but I like your idea too.
Yes, you can see it at http://twitpic.com/65ik3x
Tflow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
mieu3
Registered User
 
mieu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 68
Both of those look awesome, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do now. Thanks for the help!
mieu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
TKanaAmaterasu
Vulcan/Assassin cosplayer
 
TKanaAmaterasu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 36
I am guilty of using photoshop for my PoE. I made the ball then had a friend edit it to glow
TKanaAmaterasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
mieu3
Registered User
 
mieu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 68
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...c/IMG_0662.jpg

HAHA! Almost complete. @.@ Just need to paint it and maybe smooth out some edges.
mieu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo
 
Lisu-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 895
Looks great already! ^_^
Lisu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
badsects
Registered User
 
badsects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisu-chan View Post
Here is how I did mine:

I bought plastic see through balls, battery powered christmas lights, glued those one the inside of the plastic ball. I cut the shapes out of craftfoam, glued those to the ball, making sure I left the opening of the plastic ball, well... open. (So I can open it to turn on and off the lights). Spraypainted the whole thing black, then used a gold acrylic paint to drybrush the craftfoam bits.
Lastly I used a little acetone to remove the black paint slightly inbetween the craftfoam, so the light would be more visible. But that's optional.

Edn result: http://orochimarisu.deviantart.com/g...et=24#/d356u0o
This looks great!!
I really like this idea, and I'll probably used some of the same materials for when I give this a shot.

I was thinking about doing a fairly simple (I'm more for doing what I can with what I have, instead of spending loads on every last detail) Desmond cosplay for the next time MechaCon rolls around and I figured why not add the Apple of Eden to that. Also when that's done, I might just keep it on my desk at work.

Anyway! I'm probably going to go with the plastic ball and some LED lights while borrowing some concepts from this instructable, such as a push button and metal cut outs. (EDIT: So nevermind on the metal. it's a little beyond my means to do this part and actually do it well.)

Of course, I'll update as I go!

Edit again:

So I decided to disregard the LED part. i'm worried that if i start drilling into this it'll mess up and i've come way too far.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/310330_2313887565724_1205460021_32122652_192733854 6_n.jpg


I'll probably do some detail work, find something to put in it to add weight then seal it off.

Last edited by badsects : 11-03-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Cut some unneeded parts.
badsects is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.