Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 08-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Tips for Crossplay Photography

Many of my subjects crossplay. They do a great job with their costumes, and I want to help them best portray the gender they've chosen. Does anybody have any ideas? What do you read as "male" or "female" when posing your subjects? What are some common issues you see when looking at crossplay photos?

Composition, lighting, any ideas are welcome.

Thanks guys!

Next Con
Youmacon 2011

ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

A lot of successful crossplay is appropriate body language and a casual crossplayer may need more direction with posing than a dedicated crossplayer. Reading tips for actual transgendered individuals can help a photographer have a better understanding of stereotypical male/female body language.

I've also seen some great FtM crossplay that would pass, if only the ladies had a little more oomph in their stance. The angle you shoot from can have a big impact on this - for example, shooting at a 3/4 angle can make a MtF cosplayer more shapely, and shooting a FtM crossplayer more head-on can give them more presence.
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
Riku-Risa
Stuffed animal

I only know something about posing in a guycosplay when you're a girl.. most important: don't put your legs together; it will show the hips right away. that must be the most simple tip for poses... else it really depends on the character I think.. there is ex a huge difference between cosplaying ex Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji or Otani from Lovely complex... get to know the model (or if you are the model; get to know yourself) and find the most suitable angels for a certain cosplay
Riku-Risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Lynxmari127

for boys as girls try to get them to think more sugary thoughts and pose at a slight angle then take the photo as the adjacent angle for girls being guys have them think manry thoughts and heve them pose at an angle and take the shot slightly raised or lowerd at a straight angle. personal experiance FTW!
Lynxmari127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Rhiarhea

The biggest thing is posing. If you're a male character, then you want to have a wider stance than someone being a female character, for sure. Guys tend to sit a bit more 'relaxed' than girls, legs apart comfortably, meanwhile girls tend to keep their legs together as if they're wearing a skirt (even when they aren't).

When it comes to lighting, I got some photos with someone who had all this lighting equipment set up, and the biggest thing I learned from him (I noticed it a lot after he mentioned it especially) is that harsher light is more masculine, softer lighting is more feminine. Such as male features are often more bold than female features, which often look more softer.
Unread 11-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
AchakKeise

This tips really leave good help for freshers.
AchakKeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

MtF: Legs close together, 3/4 view, back straight, head tilted slightly (down if the character is submissive, if she's a 'tomboy' then slightly up) Hands close together (genneral idea is "women take up less space" so try to have the model pose as compact as possible), upper-body twisted slightly to enhance curves if applicable. small 'timid' smile, wide eyes. Try to pick a background that's more natural if possible, such as woods, if that's not an option, lighter colors when you can. If in a group try to make them appear shorter than male characters, if not in a group try to pose near larger objects to diminish their size.

FtM: slump slightly to make sholders appear broader, straight-on, wide-legged stance, arms streched out if applicable (i.e. if there is a prop like a staff or sword have it angled away form the body with the arms extended atleast slightly) basically the opposite of MtF - try to be as large as 'open' as possible. Huge "boastfull" smile. Pick a darker background, more artificial. If in a group try to make them appear taller than female characters if not in a group pose next to smaller objects to enhance their size.

Either: try to tone down the flash/lighting if possible and no lighting directly at the face because it will negate or at the least lessen the impact a lot of contouring makeup

Obviously all these rely on the character being steriotypical, mix-and-match as needed for femanine male characters or masculine female characters.
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
PutPutters
Extreme Procrastinator

Study from people who've gone ftm or mtf. They observe how the people of the gender they change to act. They know, lol. Or just sit down in a public area and watch how females act/talk/walk and how males act/talk/walk.

Other than natural differences in poses/stances of females and males, there's also the character's personality and the cosplayer's body shape. Some male characters are a bit feminine and vice versa for female characters. As we all know, people have different bodies. You've got to spend a bit of time with them to learn which pose makes them look like their character and their character's gender.
http://zephyrbolt.deviantart.com
http://youtube.com/theoppositeofnothing
http://theoppositeofnothing.deviantart.com
PutPutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
Ryoko-and-Yami
SO inappropriate!

Tips for drawing might help as well. My art teacher has noticed a lot of girls have trouble drawing men, but I think this is why girls have trouble posing as men as well.
He always tell me to have the male not just standing with his legs apart but also thrusting his pelvis out slightly. Also men don't generally put their hands on their hips.

Need a wig styled? Ask me! http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...?product=48369

Currently selling a variety of wigs, costumes, anime, and manga! Check it out! http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...0/ppuser/50381
Ryoko-and-Yami is offline   Reply With Quote