Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
GundamExige

Gundam Costume HELP!!!!!

Hey guys. I'm currently working on a Gundam costume (check my profile for pics) and I'm having a little trouble. I scaled the head and it fits perfectly. But when I measured the legs and arms of my Gundam model and scaled them up based on the size of the head I made, I found out that they would be waaaay too long for me. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem or how I can add 2 feet to my height and 1 foot to my arms?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
GundamExige is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
craiken

I want to add the old cliche Katoki proportions joke when it comes to the model kits.

Just curious, how did you come to what scale your helmet would be?
craiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
GundamExige

I measured the height of my head and adjusted it on Pepakura Designer accordingly. And also, what's the joke?

Last edited by GundamExige : 08-09-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
craiken

The joke is anything with "Katoki" or "version Ka" in gundam model kits is that those model kits's proportions have very, very long legs, a slimmer chest and sometimes longer arms. But mainly very long legs.

But from the looks of it, that's an RX-78-2 helmet, so it shouldn't have the weird proportions.
I've no knowledge of how Pepakura does their scaling, truth be told I always assumed people got a hold of one of the gunpla kits, put it together then based their measurements off that since it's in either 1/144, 1/100 or even 1/60 scale.
craiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Umbra.Exe
Loves bad puns

Umm... I've never made a costume like that before (I wanted to, but I don't have the resources or patience), but you could try doing it like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Zks...eature=related

He seems to be standing on stilts, and in another video, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlA5...eature=related

The hands move, despite being longer than his arms. There are probably strings or cables inside, so that he can flex the fingers...

I found a tutorial on the hands here, looks kinda cool. (I just searched for "robot hand" on Instructables, but I've known about this tutorial before.)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Simp...-robotic-hand/

Other than that, I don't know how else I can help you. Once I considered using large buckets (like the orange ones they sell at Home Depot) for stilts. I'm not sure how that would work exactly, but I'm just trying to give you some ideas. Like I said earlier, I never actually started my costume, I never even got past the planning stage... ^^; Good luck with your costume, I hope you figure it out!
Umbra.Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
GundamExige

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiken View Post
The joke is anything with "Katoki" or "version Ka" in gundam model kits is that those model kits's proportions have very, very long legs, a slimmer chest and sometimes longer arms. But mainly very long legs.

But from the looks of it, that's an RX-78-2 helmet, so it shouldn't have the weird proportions.
I've no knowledge of how Pepakura does their scaling, truth be told I always assumed people got a hold of one of the gunpla kits, put it together then based their measurements off that since it's in either 1/144, 1/100 or even 1/60 scale.
You're right it is an RX-78-2. And that is how most people do their scaling, but you're wrong about it not having the weird proportions. I'm using the 1/144 Real Grade Version to scale my parts and it has the weird proportions.

Also does anyone know how this guy did it?
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/337539/
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
GundamExige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra.Exe View Post
Umm... I've never made a costume like that before (I wanted to, but I don't have the resources or patience), but you could try doing it like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Zks...eature=related

He seems to be standing on stilts, and in another video, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlA5...eature=related

The hands move, despite being longer than his arms. There are probably strings or cables inside, so that he can flex the fingers...

I found a tutorial on the hands here, looks kinda cool. (I just searched for "robot hand" on Instructables, but I've known about this tutorial before.)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Simp...-robotic-hand/

Other than that, I don't know how else I can help you. Once I considered using large buckets (like the orange ones they sell at Home Depot) for stilts. I'm not sure how that would work exactly, but I'm just trying to give you some ideas. Like I said earlier, I never actually started my costume, I never even got past the planning stage... ^^; Good luck with your costume, I hope you figure it out!
Thanks for the help. Especially the hand one.
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
CozartEnma
Kotetsu will never die

Try using a platform shoe for the feet, then your feet are 4-5 inches higher and gives an illusion that show your legs are longer

鏑木・T・虎徹~バーナビー・ブルックスJr~カリーナ・ライル~キース・グッドマン~
ネイサン・シーモア~ホァン・パオリン~アントニオ・ロペス~イワン・カレリン~

I BELIEVE IN HEROES
CozartEnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
GundamExige

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozartEnma View Post
Try using a platform shoe for the feet, then your feet are 4-5 inches higher and gives an illusion that show your legs are longer
I thought of that but the highest I would be able to go would be 7 inches and that's not enough.
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Redgameboy
it's in my Dodoria wounds

how'd u make the helmet? what's on the inside of the helmet (material-wise)? I'm gonna do one, but was wanting to somehow get a cheap bike helmet or somethin and work around that using Daytona vinyl and foam mats.
Redgameboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
CozartEnma
Kotetsu will never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgameboy View Post
how'd u make the helmet? what's on the inside of the helmet (material-wise)? I'm gonna do one, but was wanting to somehow get a cheap bike helmet or somethin and work around that using Daytona vinyl and foam mats.
From what I've seen and done, I've used cardboard (idea from Featherweight, find his tutorial in Tutorial list 3) and the inside can be padded with foam for a tighter fit or just for the sake of being comfortable inside the helmet, cause I can tell you, cardboard pressed against your face for a whole con is NOT comfortable

鏑木・T・虎徹~バーナビー・ブルックスJr~カリーナ・ライル~キース・グッドマン~
ネイサン・シーモア~ホァン・パオリン~アントニオ・ロペス~イワン・カレリン~

I BELIEVE IN HEROES
CozartEnma is offline   Reply With Quote