Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gundam

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
zanderwitaz
Zprops.net

mass produced gundam costume

I posted this thread in the general anime forum but no one seemed interested.

After becoming comfortable with the way a gundam costume is put together, and with my experience making vacuum formed star wars costumes, I have considered making a mass produced gundam costume that could be trimmed down to fit the wearer. I could distribute these as raw kits, much like the existing stormtrooper armor kits.

my questions to you guys are:

1) would you be willing to spend 400-500 on a gundam costume kit?

2) which mobile suit would you want to costume as, from the following list:

RGM-79 GM

RGM-79G or GM sniper (same armor)

RGM-79C

RGM-79N GM custom

ALEX gundam

rx-78-2

EZ-8

RX-79G ground type

please help me out by listing your top 3 of the above list, in order. thanks guys!
zanderwitaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
zanderwitaz
Zprops.net

Gundam costume-to be mass produced!

I have moved this thread here since the anime specific threads are just too small and too slow. I need to start on this project asap, if there are enough people.

After becoming comfortable with the way a gundam costume is put together, and with my experience making vacuum formed star wars costumes, I have considered making a mass produced gundam costume that could be trimmed down to fit the wearer and sold in kits. This is not some "what if" thread, this is a serious consideration of mine.

my questions to you guys are:

1) would you be willing to spend 400-500 on a gundam costume?

2) which mobile suit would you want to costume as, from the following list:

RGM-79 GM

RGM-79G or GM sniper (same armor)

RGM-79C

RGM-79N GM custom

ALEX gundam

rx-78-2

EZ-8

RX-79G ground type

please help me out by listing your top 3 of the above list, in order.
I am open to other suggestions, as long as the mobile suit is angular and somewhat simple, with a small backpack. no wings, funnels, that sort of thing.

thanks guys!
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

While I think this is an interesting commission concept that I don't think I've seen really offered around before- I think if you're only considering some of the more, to be honest (at least/especially in the west), obscure Gundams, you're not going to get anywhere. Even EZ-8, while 08th MS was fairly well-received in the West, is going to be fairly obscure.

RX-78-2, yes, you will find demand for that. But I can't see there being demand enough to justify such expensive process for any of the others you listed. If you offered a variety of the main Gundams from the series that were more popular in the west- say, Wing Gundam, RX-78-2, Strike or Strike Freedom, and Exia... You'd find more demand- especially if these can also be modified to suit Gundam Girl type cosplays. Variety is key to finding demand.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
zanderwitaz
Zprops.net

Hmm, well making a variety of gundams doesnt sound like an option to me. I would settle for the rx-78-2, but there are papercraft tutorials and such that would deter someone from purchasing a kit. I think the GM variants are feasible because the more die hard gundam fans are more into UC stuff, and it seems the gundam fans more willing to pay for gundam stuff are UC fans as well. (because they are older and more established.) The gms are also a great platform for other GMs, for example the GM custom and alex gundam share parts. The GM command and gm cannon, too. The basic GM is an obvious platform for other other early GM variants.

there is a good amount of exia cosplays as youve stated, but they all seem to be from the pillipines. and they would be hard to mass produce, as they are more busy in the design.

The strike gundam is a good balance between the two, and I will take it into consideration.
(although theres tons of them out there and would be less satisfying to make.)
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
craiken

RX-78-2 is your best bet for being a money maker.

ALEX Gundam is nice as well.

Also, the price range of 400-500 for a DIY kit of a Gundam costume? That sounds like an amazing deal really if it came with instructions to put it together, sorta like the gundam model kits.

Hell as someone into the model kits, having a what is essentially a human size scale Gundam model kit I can put together at around that price? Sounds great.
craiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Joey~

You can send me a Gundam Kit to Argentina? xD?

I want RX-78-2 Gundam.
Joey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
zenithvsp
Ark Industries

Hey there Zander, that's quite an undertaking you're embarking on *envies*
I think the number one vote would be something generic, such as the RX-78-2 Gundam. Second would be a GM, probably a RGM-79C (Command). The RX-78-2 and the GM (most) are so similar in design that you probably won't have any trouble with interchanging some of the part design(s). With the two first suits out of the way, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to introduce a slightly different design for the third. I was thinking something totally off of the ball such as the EZ-8. Although I think that the RX-79G would be quite adequate for the third. Or you might satisfy the tastes of the newer generation of Gundams such as 'OO', 'Seed', and 'Destiny'. You're essentially getting both worlds, UC and the..other new one. Ha ~ Needless to say, it's going to be tricky to make the suits properly wearable to a variety of body types. Are you going to make the suits one 'standard' size, or are you going to offer a very limited selection of sizes? Needless to say, this is a fantastic idea and I hope it gets popularized!

-Jarred

Cosplay Project(s) 2012 -- Southern California:
U N D E R - C O N S T R U C T I O N

Last edited by zenithvsp : 06-23-2011 at 03:50 PM.
zenithvsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
chanchimi
The Gundam

HOLY MACINTOSH, YES!

That would be amazing. I'd love one of those! Out of what you listed, I'd personally love:
ALEX
RX-78-2
EZ-8
chanchimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

I'd buy a suit, no doubt about it. Honestly, $400-500 isn't bad for something like this, not at all.

I'd probably be interested in the RX-78-2 Gundam, RX-78/NT-1 Gundam NT-1 "Alex", or even the RGM-79 GM. Though I'd love to see a RGC-80 GM Cannon, or even just an MS-06F Zaku II or MS-07B Gouf. But I'd definitely buy an RX-78-2 or RGM-79.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
ghosgreen

Just saw this now and would I spend that much on a kit? Yeah I would. Like what others said that really isn't too bad as kits goes. That is assuming how good it looks of course.

I saw you bring up the pepakura thing. Dude I can tell you now I know a few guys who would jump on this and skip the pepakura method all together. Me being one of those people if I could. I won't go into the details about how tricky it can be but having a ready made kit sounds pretty good. It's a great option for those that are interested in having the costume but not wanting to build one from scratch. Is the point I'm trying to get across. Is there is enough interest to make it a profitable venture that's another matter all together.

As for Gundams RX-78 would probably be the best to start with. As much as I would like to see an EZ-8 it might be a hard sell. GM would be great. And the vision of seeing a squad of GMs would be very cool to see.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
neozero

GM SNIPER!

I have a soft spot for that suit due to the dreamcast game.
neozero is offline   Reply With Quote