Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
Seth Nightlord

Due to the message limit, I am posting this as separate answer:

Those who ask "How much is this costing you"? Yes, not everyone has the luxury to traveling as much as we have... I'll say that I'm very blessed and thank God, that I've been able to research the shenanigans of every economic / inexpensive way to travel from state to state.

It can be done, if you are willing to do the hard work. Prior to all this, had to travel to Asia before, to 4 states, for a month alone, and kinda learned that way how to "get by" (and survive). Again, I'm no expert, but its been through a combination of knowing what discount websites to look up, having "connections" with convention people who can help you, and a Visa / United mileage credit card (assuming you have the money to pay it back, and the mile points do help).

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cospl...00338663392734

Youtube our TRAVELS: www.youtube.com/cosplayernationtv
Seth Nightlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
xIkuna

You should make your way to the Minnesota Detour!
We're pretty awesome~ :3

Cosplays:
Laurel Lance (Black Canary)- Arrow
Maggie Greene- The Walking Dead
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
Seth Nightlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
You should make your way to the Minnesota Detour!
We're pretty awesome~ :3
Thanks! Have you lived in Minnesota all your life? What cons do you suggest there?

Unread 08-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #19
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Nightlord View Post
Greetings. We are the documentary project, Cosplayer Nation and wanted to share our travels of cosplay cultures all across the U.S.

So far we have documented it in the following places:

Boston, MA
Paris, France,
Miami, FL
Hartford, CT
Somerset, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Tulsa, OK
Los Angeles and San Diego, CA
yeaaaah.

still, sounds pretty cool.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
Seth Nightlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybren117 View Post
yeaaaah.

still, sounds pretty cool.
Ah yes, that's explained in the later part, one of the longer posts : P

Unread 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
red&black

Your interviews on youtube with the cosplayers are very well done.

Last edited by red&black : 08-26-2011 at 03:56 PM.
red&black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
xIkuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Nightlord View Post
Thanks! Have you lived in Minnesota all your life? What cons do you suggest there?
Yes, I lived there all my life. The biggest anime con is called Anime Detour, and there are several smaller cons like AniMinneapolis, which just had it's first year! There is also a scifi con called ConVergence.

Cosplays:
Laurel Lance (Black Canary)- Arrow
Maggie Greene- The Walking Dead
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #23
Seth Nightlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
Yes, I lived there all my life. The biggest anime con is called Anime Detour, and there are several smaller cons like AniMinneapolis, which just had it's first year! There is also a scifi con called ConVergence.
Cool deal, how many attend these smaller cons usually? Is there a Chinese/Japanese presence in MN, or pockets of Asian communities?

Any cosplays you've seen in your state, that you think is unique or haven't seen in other states?

Unread 08-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
Seth Nightlord

Red & Black thanks for your suppprt btw

Btw 2: anyone out there ever been to Kawaii Kon in Hawaii?

Unread 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Maybe you should try Youmacon in Detroit. The atmosphere seems different there than any other con I go to, even other Midwest cons - possibly because Detroit has a ...unique... sort of reputation, and those who live there have to deal with the preconceived notions all the time. (I'm not from the Detroit area, but it's been said of Michigan natives in general too - we're tough. We have to be. The recession hit us about ten years before the rest of the country noticed, and many people fled, but the rest of us were too stubborn. ) The fact it's held in the RenCen now (GM's headquarters, 75 floors tall) right in the middle of downtown makes it unmistakably feel like Detroit. Seems to have more ethnic diversity than other cons I've been to, too.

Edit: And for the record, by "feel like Detroit", I mean that as a good thing. I adore Detroit (heading over to a Tigers game next week, can't wait!), and the more people investigating what it's REALLY like there, rather than relying on the crap they hear in the news, the more people will find out how great and resourceful the city and its people are.

Last edited by Andrea : 08-30-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Addition!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
saphira
i daydream,therefore i am

*hehe* if you came to Portugal, you'd be very surprised XD
we have a small comunity(after all, we are a small country X) ) with a very friendly environment, and our cons are really very much more homey that any i've been to (in spain and france, for ex.)
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #27
MommaUrsa
Team Zuko!

This is an awesome thing you're doing! Your interviews are well done, and very interesting. o___o

I've been lucky enough to be able to attend conventions in different states, and each convention definitely has its differences, and not just because it's a different convention. I've really enjoyed Anime Iowa and Anime Weekend Atlanta. If you are ever given the chance, you should definitely hit those two cons up. There are wonderful cosplayers there, and the atmosphere at both cons are a lot different.
MommaUrsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #28
Seth Nightlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Maybe you should try Youmacon in Detroit. The atmosphere seems different there than any other con I go to, even other Midwest cons - possibly because Detroit has a ...unique... sort of reputation, and those who live there have to deal with the preconceived notions all the time. (I'm not from the Detroit area, but it's been said of Michigan natives in general too - we're tough. We have to be. The recession hit us about ten years before the rest of the country noticed, and many people fled, but the rest of us were too stubborn. ) The fact it's held in the RenCen now (GM's headquarters, 75 floors tall) right in the middle of downtown makes it unmistakably feel like Detroit. Seems to have more ethnic diversity than other cons I've been to, too.

Edit: And for the record, by "feel like Detroit", I mean that as a good thing. I adore Detroit (heading over to a Tigers game next week, can't wait!), and the more people investigating what it's REALLY like there, rather than relying on the crap they hear in the news, the more people will find out how great and resourceful the city and its people are.
Funny you mention that, we were looking at Youmacon a few weeks ago... and that is a rockin convention center. Forgive the stereotype, after seeing the Michael Moore documentaries and some of us being fans of Eminem, there's that image we get of Detroit usually - and at the same time, this makes us more intrigued to see the anime fandom over there. Especially when seeing the Youmacon website -- TOTALLY did not expect that at all, in a good way

And for those who haven't seen it, do check it out - it speaks for itself

http://www.youmacon.com/~desk/location.html

Thanks for the advice, we will try to put ya on our list

Unread 08-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #29
Seth Nightlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayyy-chan View Post
This is an awesome thing you're doing! Your interviews are well done, and very interesting. o___o

I've been lucky enough to be able to attend conventions in different states, and each convention definitely has its differences, and not just because it's a different convention. I've really enjoyed Anime Iowa and Anime Weekend Atlanta. If you are ever given the chance, you should definitely hit those two cons up. There are wonderful cosplayers there, and the atmosphere at both cons are a lot different.

Thank youTayyy-chan for your support too - if there's anything you want to see more of (like questions for us to ask cosplayers, professionals to interview, footage you want to see etc) please say so.

This goes for everyone else too, who watches the youtube channel, since its very much work-in-progress, and handling our real jobs as well, is not easy to do both at once - but we do it for fans as yourselves and because we are too : P

Intriguingly , we met an Anarchy Stocking cosplayer from Tokyo in Tulsa who told us about Anime Weekend Atlanta -- she might be going there. We bumped into her also at Otakon, in fact here is her video we did : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhPgG_dVh_8

What are some things you remembered about Anime Iowa?

Unread 09-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #30
Seth Nightlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphira View Post
*hehe* if you came to Portugal, you'd be very surprised XD
we have a small comunity(after all, we are a small country X) ) with a very friendly environment, and our cons are really very much more homey that any i've been to (in spain and france, for ex.)
HOLA, voce fala portuguese? Would be honored to come to Portugal, so you'll have to give us the tour when we make that leap : P

Speaking of france, did you watch our Paris footage yet?

( go to www.youtube.com/CosplayerNationTV , and search uploads for 'France' )