Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:57 AM   #1
chibikairichan

Cheap But High Quality Cosplay Sites?

Anyone know a trustworthy site that sells High Quality, Detailed, and Cheap Costumes? Mainly looking for Kairi(KH) and Serah(FF) at the moment. Thanks! =D
chibikairichan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
DarkBeam

It really just matters which costume your trying to cosplay as for them. Kairi has multiple costumes you could cosplay but I'm guessing you mean the original one? If so here are some cheap ones I found but simply using google....
http://www.ecrater.com/p/11773830/ki...-kairi-cosplay
http://cosplayshow.com/Kingdom-Heart...me-p13199.html
Serah:
http://cosplayshow.com/Final-Fantasy...me-p23792.html
http://www.399cosplayshop.com/japane...fantasy-13.php

Like I said, I simply found these using google. However, if your up to it, try making the costume your self It could cost less in the end if you hit up your local thrift stores.
DarkBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
kiratsukai
culture shocked

This a bit of a pipedream... like saying:

"I would like an attractive, well-made computer with cutting-edge technology and the highest specs on the market and I want to pay the price of an acer netbook for it."

High quality costs money.
Details cost money.
Accuracy costs money.
Good materials cost money.

If you don't want to spend much money -- you won't get much of any of the former.

For cheap -- You can get something useable. You can get something reliable. You can get something that you can turn into something amazing with a lot of additional time and investment. You may even be able to get a rocking deal on something nice someone else has already worn a few times and has a bit of wear and tear or only very minor staining... but you're not going to get top quality, brand-new garments for bottom dollar.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 08-21-2011 at 09:22 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Also, the word "cheap" is pretty dang subjective. What's cheap and a great deal for one person might be way too expensive and a rip off for another person.

For example, depending on the difficulty and detailing of a costume, I consider anything under $200.00 to be "cheap". What's cheap for you? How much are you willing to spend?
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
animiexoxo
FoReVeRaLoVeR

Make it ^_^ .. get all your materials from things you already own, dollar stores , old navy , etc. ebay might help a bit too . i got a hianta wig on ebay for 6 dollars great quality shipping was paid to. i made my soul eater weapons from carbored boxes that i found inmy garage and such .. making it is better because

1. You'll get it the right size
2. It's customized so you can really make it any way you want
3. It's a good time waster
4. cheaper

i'm working on a hinata costume i already had the pants there softball pants and i just cut them then im using a leg wrap for the white part on the pants that i had in a first aid kit in the house and a little puch to attach to my waits or leg (it's adjustable) all i need is the coat because i already got the wig and im making the shoes

Hope this helps
animiexoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Pingu4u2

Heh, yeah. In the world of cosplay, I would say there's no such thing as "cheap". Even the most simplistic of outfits that I think "Oh, that should only take $80 tops, right?" ends up costing hundreds and taking a ton of time. There's just too many things you need to make a cosplay look good.

For example, I'm trying to cosplay as Rin from Aoi no Exorcist. Not exactly the most elaborate of cosplays, so I'd like to do it right. Found a nice wig from a store I trust on ebay, found a nice well made custom outfit that seems trustable on ebay, found a premade sword of his on ebay for a reasonable price, got his tail, ears, vamp teeth.. then used groupons from the ebay deal to get all of it for 53% off. And lo and behold, it's still costing me $280. So I'm going to say that, if you want a decent cosplay and are NOT able to find old cosplay stuff to reuse, $200-$300 for it is actually a "cheap" price.

(Though as an aside, I've actually seen the ebay seller Corland90, for a few months back, having ebay auctions where they were selling custom cosplay outfits for bid. I actually saw them selling a Kairi outfit that ended up going for $28. Shipped. This was before they suddenly disappeared off the face of earth.)
Pingu4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

For an elaborate costume, expect to pay a good amount for quality. Even for a simple costume it can be a ridiculous price and still not perfect. You end up having to alter anyway, and buy a wig and accessories they don't include. Hence why people make theirs, and why there are so many threads with "how to" and tips. It's amazing what you can do if you just try.

I used to loathe the thought of sewing, it looked way too hard for me; even though I can churn out good armor, any props big or small I could recreate for near nothing, just at the price of some time. But, once I put my mind to it, I was able to do things with sewing by hand that were otherwise considered hard for a beginner. Even my husband helped and found he could do a lot more then he thought. I don't even have a sewing machine. If you have no deadline, you can create anything and be more proud of it, if you had the money to buy one you can make one.

For the costumes you want, they're actually pretty simple, and good to start with. Cheap to make, overall. I know people here can help with it. Even look at others costumes, sometimes they have a whole description and photos of how they did theirs and what to expect. You're not going to find any good costumes less then $60, and trustworthy.
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Again, it depends on your definition of "cheap" and how much you're willing to spend. Unless you buy a used costume from someone else (like on cosplay.com's marketplace) you won't find one for under $50. If the costume and the shipping adds up to be under $100, I consider it cheap. I know other people consider getting a costume for under $200 to be cheap, and that's not even including the shipping. The higher quality you want, the more you have to pay. So I would check the marketplace here if you want cheap, and ebay if you want a site that's trustworthy. But that's just my opinion.
chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

I agree with pretty much everyone who has already psoted here. In the world of cosplay, props, and commission you live by this;
Pick two of the following
Cheap-Fast-Quality

If you picked Cheap and Fast you aren't going to get great quality since it was rushed and used cheaper materials.
If you picked Cheap and Quality you aren't going to get it right away since the maker has to worker with cheaper materials to make it look good.
If you pick Fast and Quality your going to have to pay a fairly heavy price since the maker has to find the best materials and make something amazing and get to you fast.

On a general basis when I commission people to make pieces for me I expect to pay a high price. For a full costume I am usually willing to shell out $300+ not including props, wigs, or extras.

2014 Convention Schedule-
ConnectiCon -Hartford CT July 11-13
Another Anime Con - Manchester NH October 17-19

~Cosplay 2014 Progress~
Jean!WoC -Attack on Titan 100% done!
Washu Hakubi - Tenchi Muyo! 100% done!
Motoko Kusanagi - GitS 0% (planning stages)
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Lt.Finn
Cupcake Lord

Both of these costumes are very makeable and Serah is definitely findable. You're not going to get high-quality and screen accurate for "cheap."

If you have a friend who can sew, commission them. Hopefully they will give you a discount or a trade. I'm making stuff for my BF and the tradeoff is she pays for supplies and gets me food at the con. We're *not* telling my mum this, or she would hang me.

If you don't sew, or don't know anyone who does, you can always do a discount and thrift store crawl. Get several pictures of the costume you're shopping for and pick out several thrift stores and discount stores (Marshalls, TJMaxx) to go to.
For example, for Serah I would do:
-A white button down and hack it up, the side bits could be done with extra fabric or paint.
-The "shawl thing" they sell at Marshalls in the junior section or you could venture into nightgowns
-The skirt you could get pretty much anywhere, but you would have to attach the lace yourself as well as the gold chains
-The stockings and the tan Chucks you can get anywhere too, but Chucks are not what I would call cheap..

It can be done for a lower price if you're thrifty and crafty, but I highly doubt you're going to buy a ready made anything for "cheap."
Lt.Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Cosplay FU is a really good quality site to buy cosplays from, I bought my Canada and Azusa/K-On! uniform from them and they're both really good quality and exactly like the photos so you know what you're getting.

Their prices are pretty good and I'd definitely recommend them ^^

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote