Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-29-2003, 10:21 AM   #16
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

BIOJECT... just go for it. Your face IS a little bit square, but I'm sure someone here can describe some good makeup tips to help with that. A good wig will do wonders too. I don't see a problem...
What... you aren't SCARED by what these "friends" are gonna say, are you? You love a character so much you want to dress like them. How would that make you gay?
You'll meet a lot of people at cons that will fully support you. ^__^

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Mizuno Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #17
LunarYoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOJECT
That reminds me. My friends think I'm too androgynous to crossplay (I agree though) as a female character especially when it's Deedlit who is supposed to be petite and fair skinned according to them. If you want to see how I look just take a peak at my profile.
When your a guy & you want to crossplay/crossdress, the more androgenous you are in appearance the better you are off when you actually crossplay/crossdress. Unless you can be mistaken as female in your normal every day life, then being very androgenous in the way you look is a big plus. Being skinny also greatly helps as well. Looking like a wookie wouldnt exactly help you if you are trying to crossplay/crossdress. perfect example of this is man faye.

Lunar Yoma

Ours is the Wisdom of Solomon,The Magic of Merlin,The Fall of Icarus. From Countless Ages We Have Beckoned, From Infinite choices We Have Suffered. The World Chokes Under Stifling Conformity, Hopes Crumble in the Fire of Mediocrity, Heroes Die in the Snare of Pride. Armaggeddon is at Hand. Reality is a Lie. The Truth is Magic. Open Your Eyes and Awaken.
LunarYoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2003, 02:29 PM   #18
LunarYoma

Quote:
I agree with you all the way LunarYoma, but I think most guys wouldn't prefer a Tomboy over what a guy would call the "standard" girl because they/I enjoy seeing them in skimpy outfits. We're guys and we like that stuff.

I do think girls who are Tomboyish have their own little advantages though. My Aunt is a partially tomboy and she's REALLY fun to hang out with. She enjoys hiking and doing all kinds of crazy outdoorzy stuff.

With guys preferring girls to be more feminine over being tomboyish, it's only our raging hormones! My preference is... short and cute. lol
I wasnt refering to guys being attracted to girls when they display alot of masculine triats. i was refering to how guys react to girls who are tomboys. Most of the guys will not suddenly feel insecure in their own man hood when the see a tomboy & feel the need to physically attack her, like alot of men do when they even hear about a guy putting on a dress, let alone seeing a guy in womens clothing.

Lunar Yoma

Ours is the Wisdom of Solomon,The Magic of Merlin,The Fall of Icarus. From Countless Ages We Have Beckoned, From Infinite choices We Have Suffered. The World Chokes Under Stifling Conformity, Hopes Crumble in the Fire of Mediocrity, Heroes Die in the Snare of Pride. Armaggeddon is at Hand. Reality is a Lie. The Truth is Magic. Open Your Eyes and Awaken.
LunarYoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2003, 03:15 PM   #19
DarkindDreamer

well i could believe it, your a very attractive guy and i dunno why you couldn't get ya a girl.

as to the croos play i think your face would be fine, your jaw is a little well defined which is a rather masc. trait but the hair style for your character would soften that up as well as the correct shadow and highlight technics. plus you could always wear a chin piece which would help with the more elvish look, since you'll have to have the pointy ears too.
so i really don't think ya got anything to worry about man.
Unread 11-29-2003, 03:28 PM   #20
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Well, see? There you go. You've got the full support of the crossplayers here, and they've allayed your worst fears that they're all gay. It's your friends who have the problem, not you, and if they don't want to hang out with you because they're afraid you'll look gay and therefore somehow that will transfer some kind of cooties to them? Well, screw 'em. Make plans to meet up your cosplay.com pals at the con and hang out with cool people instead.

LunarYoma, that was really good of you to post. Thanks for sharing that part of your life with us.

And yes, Will, aka A DDR Legend here, is most certainly straight. And he's one of the coolest crossplayers - his Sakura stuff is awesome.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #21
Menchi
Tee hee <3

why i always catch these threads o late on i dont know, but anywho...i have never inperson met on guy who crossplayed who was gay myself. as far i remember nine is gay but his resaons for crossplay is nothing to do with sexuality (i forget what it was sorry nine). is more the fact they are unconfortable with themselves if they wont hang with ya, as i had ppl i know say they wouldnt hang out with me if i used falsies...but they got over it.

the best way i can put it...is if they wont hang out with you in a dress, they prolly are not your friends. dressing like a girl doesnt mean you want to be a girl or think you are, it jus means your dressed like a girl and nothing more.
Unread 11-29-2003, 07:42 PM   #22
MoonLitDemon2
The Anime Tramp

Quote:
I've been spending months trying to enlighten my friends that crossplaying is awesome and that it takes balls to dress up as the opposite sex. They reply that they still won't hang with me during the expo and that I still would be gay. Now I really don't want any offense taken from this topic because I have no problem with gays. It's just... well... every guy I've seen on this board who does crossplay is and well it doesn't help when your trying to get your friends to support you for doing something out of the ordinary.

ok first off let me just say that is very mean of your friends to not stick with you just because your dressing as the opposite sex! so what! i think its good that your willing enough to dress as one of your fav characters even tho its a girl and your a guy.
also, i don't think this really counts but we can use it as an example..... i'm a girl and this year i am crossplaying for AB 2004 ...... yes i am Bisexual BUT when i descided on my cosplay i didn't know i was bi yet (i just opened up to it at the end of August....) and before i new i was bi i chose to dress as Duo Maxwel from GW and Shuichi from Gravitation..... (might not do Duo tho... only if i have money and time left...) point being i was straight when i wanted to crossplay...... now i know that didn't count much because you were talking about guys crossplaying but hey its somehting to think about....
tel your friends to stop being such steriotypes and i bet if you talk to alot more guy and girl crossplayers you will find that alot of them are straight... or at least bi..... and yeah i agree that alot are usually gay but still, not every one of them....

and...... its good to be out of the ordinary!!!!! weeeeeeeeee
MoonLitDemon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2003, 08:00 PM   #23
MoonLitDemon2
The Anime Tramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno Tenshi
BIOJECT... just go for it. Your face IS a little bit square, but I'm sure someone here can describe some good makeup tips to help with that. A good wig will do wonders too. I don't see a problem...
haha as a matter of fact i do make-up for the plays at my highschool and i could probably help yah!...... ok basicly all you really need for your face are a few things....

1. make sure to shave really really well if you have a little hair on your face... remeber women don't have that!... well usully don't anyway.... also if you really want to or can, get your eyebrows done.... at least a little bit so there nice and clean and even and not very bushy....

2. get a could consealer (don't mind my spelling... if its spelt wrong) that will match your skin tone or somewhere between your skin tone and the skin tone of your character and evenly distribute it all around your face... get some of your neck too and yor ears.... or will you have fake ears cuz of your character lol... and don't forget before aplying it to use a god gentle moisterisor (again with spelling) ...... it realy helps....

3. find a light blush and just put a little on your cheeks.. don't put to much on cuz u still want it to look natural but it gives you a soft rosey look.....

4. for your eyes, use Mascara and eyeliner..... and if your character has eyeshadow then get that color and put it on as well.... the use of the eyeliner and mascara will kind of shape your eyes or just make them look more girly....

5. now for your lips, umm it depends on if your character has red lips or pink.... whatever color get it!.... put on a chapstick or a lip gloss first and then put on the lipstick (i've found most guys have drier lips) and if necessary add some shine lip gloss after that.....

well umm i think thats all.... if any questions than just pm me or email or just reply on here and i'll probably check it......

if your having trouble ask a friend or if your doing this for anime boston i can help you there ^_^ ...... ok well i gtg ttyl!

Last edited by MoonLitDemon2 : 11-29-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Unread 11-29-2003, 09:45 PM   #24
BIOJECT
Long Pointy Elf Ears! Mmm

I think Deedlit's lips are pink but they are still extremely faint. I don't think she wears lipstick. Maybe an extremely light color would work?
Unread 11-30-2003, 02:00 AM   #25
yasafusa
FLAT AS A CAT

well, I'm straight and I crossplay because I think it's great fun!
Unread 11-30-2003, 08:16 AM   #26
Merle-kun
What TIME is it!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani
And if they don't want to hang out with someone that "looks" gay (by their standards) they surely wouldn't hang out with someone who happened to actually BE gay, and that means THEY are the ones with a problem.

Don't let their bigotry dictate your actions.
Dani's right... and, not to be mean, but from your question it sounds like they've already effected your actions. Because you're thinking like they are. Are you gay because you're wanting to crossplay? Does hopping into women's clothing for a few days make you a homosexual? Not at all, they don't always go hand in hand. I'm not sure how you got the idea that we're all gay. I haven't seen anyone declare their sexuality on this board one way or another. I'm not taking offenese or anything, just pointing out that you're friends are effecting you, and if you truely want to crossplay that thinking has to go out the window. You won't have any fun if you're worrying yourself to death at a con. =3 And as Sipesh said, you're welcome to hang out with us at a con!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno Tenshi
Umm... I'm not gay.... Menchi isn't gay... Merle-kun isn't gay (he's quite desperate for a girl, actually! ~_^)...
Actually, I have a really great girlfriend now =3 Heza-chan and I started dating after Sugoicon ^-^v And I dunno if I'd have called myself desperate ^^;;

Follow me on Facebook or at KimberlyBalduf.com!
Merle-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2003, 11:26 AM   #27
MoonLitDemon2
The Anime Tramp

"I think Deedlit's lips are pink but they are still extremely faint. I don't think she wears lipstick. Maybe an extremely light color would work?"

if her lips are faint and still kind of pink then get a pink lipstick that is very light or just a regular pink that matches it and put a little on..... even if a character doesn't wear lipstick i've found that girls naturally have redder or pinker lips than guys do and it also helps to smooth out your lips (unless your a guy blessed with awesome lips.... then i would like to meet you ^_~ lol jp) same goes for if your a girl dressing as a guy... either put nothing on your lips or get a skin colored or browner lip stick and put A LITTLE BIT on..... well this all depends on what your character looks like..... do whatever you think looks right you know the character better than i do ^_^" ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle-kun
Dani's right... and, not to be mean, but from your question it sounds like they've already effected your actions. Because you're thinking like they are. Are you gay because you're wanting to crossplay? Does hopping into women's clothing for a few days make you a homosexual? Not at all, they don't always go hand in hand. I'm not sure how you got the idea that we're all gay. I haven't seen anyone declare their sexuality on this board one way or another. I'm not taking offenese or anything, just pointing out that you're friends are effecting you, and if you truely want to crossplay that thinking has to go out the window. You won't have any fun if you're worrying yourself to death at a con. =3 And as Sipesh said, you're welcome to hang out with us at a con!
i agree completely with what Merle-kun said! nicely put hun ^_^ .....
Unread 11-30-2003, 11:35 AM   #28
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle-kun
Actually, I have a really great girlfriend now =3 Heza-chan and I started dating after Sugoicon ^-^v And I dunno if I'd have called myself desperate ^^;;
Cuuute! See? Proof that crossplayers CAN get cute girls. ~_^ Soooo... any out there for me? ^-^

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Mizuno Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2003, 12:08 PM   #29
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with crossplay and it by no means determines your sexual preferences. I've always wanted to be Kurama, my favorite male character from Yu Yu Hakusho. Was being female going to hold me back? NOPE! Quite frankly, I don't care about what others may think of me dressing up as a male character...people can think all they want about that, but I know that it has nothing to do with my sexuality. I'm 100% straight and dressing up as Kurama isn't going to change that. Sometimes in life you have to do things for yourself, things that make you happy. If being Deedlit is one of those things, go for it and do the best job you can! ^_^ Crossplay is perfectly harmless. Sometimes, we all happen to like a character of the opposite sex and want to cosplay as them. So don't let other people hold you back from that. I know you have my support, and others here at the board's support, as well. I mean, sure, I like dressing up as female characters, especially those in very feminine clothing because I AM a girl, but sometimes I want to be a male character because I love the character to death and want to cosplay as him (examples being Hiei and Kurama from my fav anime, Yu Yu Hakusho). It's all in the fun and love of anime! ^_^ So, go out there and be the best Deedlit you can be and prove yourself right, that's what it's all about.

*~Hime no Toki~*
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2003, 12:48 PM   #30
Sana-chan
I know, right?

I don't think crossplaying has to do with ones sexuality perse. I'm a girl, I like guys, yet I crossplay. It just depends on the person really. Crossplaying does not make someone gay. If your friends just can't see that you crossplay just because you like the character or whatever then... well, they're stupid. You should cosplay what you like, regardless of what others think or say ^_^.
Sana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote