Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-30-2004, 11:43 PM   #91
Flippy
GET SOME TEA! ^%$#!
 
Flippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,333
What ever makes you happy and doesn't endanger others is alright....the US is a pretty weird country after all...whatever happens happens....look away.
__________________

________
...mm
/^(..)^\
\,(..),/
..V~~V
Flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-31-2004, 11:53 AM   #92
ElvishBoi
Elven Cosplayer Dude.
 
ElvishBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy
I think you look like one ofthe better legolas's I've seen and your long hair kicks ass ...:end of side note:
Thank you very much I wouldn't mind if you dyed my tunic a dull green for me hahaha
And I'd say some of the people on this thread *including yourself Flippy* have done a good job appearing feminine in their costumes... so it should be a mark of pride eh?
I mean... how silly is bobbing for apples, but if you like it and you're good at it... hey why not ^_^
ElvishBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2004, 05:28 PM   #93
Flippy
GET SOME TEA! ^%$#!
 
Flippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,333
Yeah I think that if your involved with cosplay at all you shouldn't really care what others say...we've accepted that we may look silly to others and just gotta deal....sticks and stones may hurt my bones but words will never hurt me.

( I have tried to strear away from an feminine look in my Samara costume. I really tried to make that costume as streamline as possible and binded my chest to take away relation to being feminine. The only feminine thing that really remaind was my hair. It has been the only con that I was not hit on. So I can see how hair can help a person be more feminine but there are other aspects leading up to a Feminine look. It's an art to many many male cross dressers and crossplayers out there. I'm thankful that I'm already a women and don't have to to be feminine. How ever it is also a pain to be more masculine....that is also an art. Many women give themselves pixie and buzz cuts and still are easily detected as a women. I don't know, I think I contradicted myself but anyway both gender have alot of baggage attacted to them.)
__________________

________
...mm
/^(..)^\
\,(..),/
..V~~V
Flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2004, 09:20 PM   #94
Bridget_tenchi
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1
Does transgender mean anything to anyone on this board ^^;
Bridget_tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #95
Lostboy
Registered User
 
Lostboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget_tenchi
Does transgender mean anything to anyone on this board ^^;
Of course.
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #96
Kuri-chan
Caveat Emptor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget_tenchi
Does transgender mean anything to anyone on this board ^^;
Yup Yup! Go find and read some of my prior posts to figure out what. ^^

Now to stretch this statement back to the original topic of the thread (Why the myth that crossplay and sexual orientation is somehow linked), please keep in mind that neither sexual orientation nor gender orientation have anything necessarily to do with crossplay.

Hmm... Let my try to rephrase that. ^^;;

The idea that sexual orientation (Heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual - the three most commonly recognized orientations) has something to do with costuming preference is a myth, perpetuated by people who do not understand, and want to categorize people into their existing world view. The purpose of my posts in this thread is to dispel this myth, so cosplayers will not be a part of the population who perpetuates the myth.*

Now a side myth that I’m seeing emerge is that crossplay has something to do with gender orientation (How you perceive and express your own sense of gender; lots of label confusion on this one; lets use “transgendered” to keep it simple), which while it makes a little more logical sense than sexual orientation, is still a false myth worthy of being dispelled.*

I’m sure few things are more annoying for someone perfectly compatible and happy with their biological gender than being asked repeatedly “Do you crossplay because you want to be a member of the opposite sex?” This, of course, is silly.*

Most* (not all, but I assure you, most) cosplayers who choose to crossplay do so because they love the character, or love the costume. It has nothing to do with sex or gender.

Now speaking as someone who is not perfectly compatible with their biological gender, my gender orientation still has nothing to do with my taste in costuming, or why I choose to crossplay.

The problem with this myth is that it is easy to believe, because to a limited extent it makes sense; it’s the shortest jump in conclusions, and in SOME cases, may be correct.*

I’m sure there is more than one person out there, many in fact, who crossplay because they are looking for a way to express themselves in terms of gender identity. They specifically chose to costume as a member of the opposite gender, using gender as a focus for selecting the characters they costume as.

There is nothing wrong with this. It is a perfectly good reason to cosplay, just as good as liking a costume, liking a character, or what have you.

However, speaking for myself, I do not select characters to cosplay as because of my gender identity, and I do not want someone assuming I crossplay just because I happen to be transgendered. For me, dressing up as a girl is an enjoyable side effect; not my primary motivation.

Personal conclusion:
Crossplay does not equal, and is not influenced by sexual orientation.
Crossplay does not necessarily equal, and is not necessarily influenced by gender orientation.

*Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary! When in doubt, ask rather than assume. ^^;;

Veering Slightly Off Topic:
For those who are interested in discussing the issues that relate to being transgendered, or are looking for (im)moral support from a kindred spirit, you are welcome to contact me via chat or private message. I would love to talk to you! Please remember however that these forums are for discussing cosplay, not gender issues. ^_^ Please try to stay on topic to help keep the lives of our wonderful moderators and fellow cosplayers easier.

-Kuri
Kuri-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 10:13 AM   #97
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin
 
Eleryth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 5,308
OT: Just gotta say, that's a great post. Seriously, Kuri... I love it.

Tempted to steal it and put a mini-essay on my webpage (credited, of course), because you worded things so well... (I'm working on a cosplay database, in case you are curious - things like vocab, how to start, pages and pages of handy websites...).

Just... wow. Nicely put. /OT
__________________
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]~Anime North 2014 Masquerade Co-Director [Masquerade AT animenorth.com]
~ Anime North 2014 Culture Track Organizer

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #98
animeBecky21
Goofy girly user
 
animeBecky21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 490
Smile odd

It seems like most of the drag queens are gay, but there are plenty of TG people who aren't.

I've been wearing girls clothes since I was three - old enough to dress myself and able to find some to get into. And I am about as straight as they come. I can find something attractive in almost any woman...

I often refer to myself as being 'the only "lesbian trapped in a man's body" who actually walks the walk instead of just talking the talk' -

I'm new here, but I've been interested in this for a while now - I just didn't know there were places I could go to find out and discuss it. anyone who wants to chat with me, feel free.
animeBecky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2004, 10:09 PM   #99
Grav
in between
 
Grav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 280
I stumbled acorss this thread so pardon me if I repeat anything that has been said.

Just so you know, asexual, male, ...annoyingly femine looking.

Several of my friends cross play, at animazment this year my friend lisa, lesbian, was fuma and I was Kamui from x/1999. THough she often does crossplay it's because she's rather tall and is elected for the character. Our group of friends generally do themes. Sometimes it comes down to what type of characters do you look like. Katie, another friend of mine also ends up crossplaying most of the time, she's straight, because to us it's more important to look and act like the character. That's the fun in cosplaying.

I've finally given into some of my friends and next year they are getting me to crossplay. I have no problem with it except that because of the way I look...I get mistaken for a girl too often for my liking. For over a month that was a hot topic for discussion at my high school.

For some crossplayers I know they are very proud when they are mistaken, a sign they are pulling off the look, others aren't as thrilled with it. I've never meet one though that was ill tempered about it and in the same manner I correct them politely.

I'm curious about other's opinions though on that.

I think I'm rambling and not making much sense but it's late so please forgive me.

My guess is that the best argument for friends who don't grasp why you enjoy it is to say it is a test of your acting ability and costume expertise. That or hand them a copy of Mrs. Doubtfire. Hilarious movie, you have to love Robin Williams.
Grav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #100
Leon
The Envy + Rage of Youmac
 
Leon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 284
Hmm...as far as crossplay being something primarily done by gays, I think it's safe to say that's not true at all after reading the responses in this thread. I think that's just a stereotype. Personally, I applaud anyone that can pull off a convincing crossplay (Which is something that'd be difficult for me to do, given my height and build).
__________________
**********
Leon
Shaking that Cosplay Moneymaker since 2002!!

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #101
Ginger Catgirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 834
well, it's probably true that gay men are more willing to put on a dress...... especially the flamboyant ones. But I don't think it really has to do with sexuality... well, if you don't want to be glomped by members of the same gender, crossplay might not be your thing....

I dunno o_O as for me, I'm "Matt-o-sexual", I'm very dedicated to my current relationship, but I guess if we weren't dating I'd be bi... I'm not sure. I have too many lesbian friends O_O
Ginger Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 09:12 AM   #102
Ginger Catgirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeBecky21
I often refer to myself as being 'the only "lesbian trapped in a man's body" who actually walks the walk instead of just talking the talk' -
lol. I have a friend who is, by her own words, "a gay guy trapped in a woman's body"... she is so male. It's erather funny. But she has huge boobs.

Okay, that was wierd.

Anyway.
Ginger Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 10:22 AM   #103
JosephCain
Lupin the 4th
 
JosephCain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 213
This is a pretty interesting topic actually. It's kinda like saying some girls prefer ultra feminine men though they're really closet lesbians, I guess? Bad comparison? Who knows. I've wanted to crossplay, or crossdress for that matter, but I'm too much of a coward, and right now I'm on a diet. Ouchies. *Ahem* Also, the fact I've never been with a man or a woman slightly dictates the fact that I call myself "bi" and "undecided". Being 18 and with those stats greatly sucks. *Sage Nod* Ah well, I'm waiting for college before I let my hormones rage. Though, in my area ("the south"), I don't believe that I'll have much luck getting a boyfriend without getting hung, dragged around by a car, or being beaten to death. Heheh.
JosephCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 10:29 AM   #104
Lostboy
Registered User
 
Lostboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCain
Also, the fact I've never been with a man or a woman slightly dictates the fact that I call myself "bi" and "undecided". Being 18 and with those stats greatly sucks.
No it doesn't. Until I was 29, I was dedicated to the notion of not having sex til i fell in love. Well, at 29, i decided to just have sex with the next willing girl. That didn't actually HAPPEn til i was 31, though. And I wish I'd waited. It didn't feel all that great. I mean, it was OK, but I didn't love her. It didn't feel rapturous like it should have. It was just physical pleasure. I was really let down. Plus, there's STDs to worry about too. I'm re-dedicated to my old belief now: no sex without love. I'm sure different people have different priorities, but this is how it works for me.
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 10:35 AM   #105
JosephCain
Lupin the 4th
 
JosephCain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 213
You're 31, Lostboy? Geez... in your avatar you keep making me think early 20s.
JosephCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.