Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gurren Lagann

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Kitsune_fly

Simon's Core Drill

Before I start, let me just tell you that I have never cosplayed before, and I'm totally new to sewing and everything. I'm currently taking a sewing class and hopefully by the end of the year I'll have some experience to build on.
I'm hoping to do a crossplay of Simon from Gurren Lagann sometime in the future. I don't care if it's years from now, I'll get around to it.
One thing I'm concerned about is his Core Drill. Some reference pics:

On the left is the commercial necklace available for sale pretty much everywhere. That would be perfect, but... it's just a bit too small for me. I'd say it's about an inch and a half tall, when in the anime it fits snugly in the palm of his hand.
I want to make a core drill from scratch. Hopefully I can get it a bit more to scale from the show, and not only that, but I want to make it slowly pulse a green light from the inside. Now, I have no idea how in the world I can do this. I'm pretty sure I can make a hollow drill bit and insert a pulsing green LED inside, attached to a battery of some sort (a watch battery?) mounted to the base. Maybe I can make it so that the bit screws onto the base for easy access to the LED?
The real question here is: How in the world do I make this thing? I have zero experience with any molding or other methods of making these things. I just need a veteran to point me in the right direction and tell me if what I'm envisioning can actually be done.
Remember, I'm not pressured to finish this anytime soon. I have all the time in the world to make this. If I need more experience I'll be willing to learn more.
Thanks a bunch in advance!
Kitsune_fly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
electroViolet
Needles Destroyer

since it's so petite you can make it from some kind of clay, maybe FIMO. Visit your local art store and ask for some kind of clay that would be solid and oven-baked.
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I woul make the part you want to have light up out of Friendly Plastic (In pellet form) honestly.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Kitsune_fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radleia View Post
I woul make the part you want to have light up out of Friendly Plastic (In pellet form) honestly.
That's interesting! I've been looking it up for a bit and it seems perfect for something like this.
However, most of the retailers I've seen carry the white colored pellets. If I were to add a bronze-like color to them and mold it, do you think the light could still shine through? I might have to make the case a bit thin in order for it to do that. :/
Kitsune_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
nyditch
Protector of Innocence

Yes, I found that one to be dis-satisfying as well. I made my own, but my profession allowed me to make it out of a chunk of steel. What I'd recommend is using is a heat-molable plastic like Shapelock or Insta Morph. I've not heard of Friendly Plastic before, and it seems a little different. I'll have to look closer at it, but it looks like it'd work too.

So basically getting some of that and just forming it by hand. As for a pulsing LED, that gets more complicated. There might be already-built little circuits you can use, but if you can't find those, I'd recommend an LED with some tiny little switch on it that you can access. For battery, something small like this would do. You don't need to order that many though. I'm sure your local Target or Walmart or supermarket or drug store has them.

And LED can be bought at most electronics stores like Radio Shack. It should work appropriately being hooked straight to that type of battery. Try hooking it up one way, and if that doesn't work, the positive and negative need to be switched so just flip the battery over. If you use a switch, just make it so the LED pin goes through the switch, instead of straight to the battery.

For holding the top and bottom together, what about some strong magnets? A couple of neodymium magnets would probably hold it together just fine, and to get into it you'd just pull it apart. They'd probably have to be glued in well so they don't pull out of the plastic when you try to open it; I'd think hot glue could work there.

Last edited by nyditch : 08-05-2012 at 06:11 AM.
nyditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

How about the one that comes with the Gurren Lagann DVD set? It's a couple years old but you can still get it on Amazon.
The set comes with a plastic core drill... I'm not entirely sure if it's the accurate size. And it lights up. I have one myself, it's pretty neat, despite it just being plastic. I don't think it's the one you have pictured above... I'd have to dig mine out to make sure.

Last edited by Blue Leader : 10-27-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Gabriel79a
The Beard

The answer is yes you can make one...

I like the idea of friendly plastic above for ease but it's a little opaque and light may not shine through it well. However I dont have a better option really that is affordable. My preference for the body would be to cast it out of something like a clear resin. If you are interested, here is the BEST one. There are a lot of videos online to help with this.

If I used Friendly plastic I would make a form to mold it over out of something you are comfortable with like clay. If you color the plastic too much, the light that shows through may not be green. If you were going to color it I would use a amber colored nail polish inside the friendly plastic.

For the part I actually know more about, the green light inside is really easy. Use one of these LEDs which you can power by a couple of coin cell watch batteries. You will need to add a push button to activate it if you don't want it to be on all the time. I like these micro switches.

Hope this helps!
Gabriel79a is offline   Reply With Quote