Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action) > Doctor Who

Unread 12-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Ten Suit and Coat

I want to make them myself. Let's get that out of the way.

Now, I've made suits. I've made a LOT of suits. I generally use the McCall's Perfect Fit Pants and switch the side of the zipper for men's wear. Then, for the top, I use the Simplicity Boyfriend Jacket pattern with modifications. Have you seen a better suit pattern out there? I'm willing to try a new one that requires minimal modification simply because I want to focus more on the fit than just trying to get the suit in the right shape. The reason I want to make my own suit is that I'd like to do the one that's brown with blue pinstripes. I haven't yet found a real suit in that style, and if I did, I doubt it would be affordable.

As for the coat, I've heard from others that there's no good pattern out there. I have this pattern already. I'm not bad at drafting patterns and modifying existing ones, and I think I could easily add the back pleat and vent to this, but any chance to make it easier... Anyone seen a better pattern out there? The faux double-breasted nature of his coat confuses me a bit. Do I just put buttons on it as if it were double breasted? There's NO WAY David Tennant's buttoning that thing double-breasted even of his skinny-mini frame!

Also, is the lining dark blue or gray?
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
Rycraft
MDN4C

It is double breasted; the lining on the coat is a rich dark/royal blue, with orange piping on the pockets.
Rycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycraft View Post
It is double breasted; the lining on the coat is a rich dark/royal blue, with orange piping on the pockets.
Looking at the inside, the pockets seem to be lined in orange satin. Interesting... This is going to be a more difficult coat than I expected.

Two more questions in case someone knows... On the recreations of Ten's coat, I keep seeing buttons down the vent, pretty big, obvious buttons. I have never seen these in the show, even when he coat is flapping around him. Are they just something I missed? Also, I haven't found a moment when we can see the inside of his suit jacket. Obviously, he's got to have a pocket in there for his sonic screwdriver, but does anyone know what the lining colors are for the suits and whether that pocket might have something odd about it.
Unread 12-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
ten_again
ten

You probably already know about this, but if you ask me Steven Rick's blog Making my Tennant Coat is the best source of information about the coat. That guy has done so many hours of research it is a shame not to have a look.

http://tennantcoat.blogspot.com/

Also, as for the buttons,I only have the Abbyshot model, but it does have buttons down the back so the vent can actually be closed, and when I wear the coat I usually do keep it closed because it is warmer that way.

I do know that the Magnoli version also has these buttons.

I don't think we ever get to see the inside of his suit jacket. The only time I can remember that he takes it off is when he puts it around Donna in the runaway bride.
ten_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Thanks! I'll check it out. I've been watching for the buttons, but they are definitely not as obvious as the the Magnoli ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_again View Post
Also, as for the buttons,I only have the Abbyshot model, but it does have buttons down the back so the vent can actually be closed, and when I wear the coat I usually do keep it closed because it is warmer that way.
I live in a pretty warm climate along the Mississippi. People freak when it gets below zero here. I'm more worried about staying cool in my coat.
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #6
ten_again
ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
I live in a pretty warm climate along the Mississippi. People freak when it gets below zero here. I'm more worried about staying cool in my coat.
Well, I trust you do know that it is mandatory to do a lot of running when dressed as Ten, so good luck on staying cool...
ten_again is offline   Reply With Quote