Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
fishoom
Hewwow dere

Talking Your first experience wearing lolita in public?

I just ordered a whole bunch of lolita dresses and the like, and I am anxious to wear them. It'll be my first time wearing lolita and I'm super nervous!

So I'd like to know what your first experience was like wearing lolita out in public. If you only wore it to a con, that's fine! I'd still love to hear.
fishoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Meiki

My first time wearing lolita was pretty tame, thankfully. I wore my first outfit to high school one day, and I was really nervous. I got a few stupid comments like "strawberry shortcake," but overall people were pretty nice!
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
LostLittleWitch
Please cut the lights D:

While this doesn't qualify as "lolita", I recently got a skirt from Fan Plus Friend and I wear it quite often along with knee socks and a pair of Mary Janes I own. No one has so much as batted an eyelash yet, although I don't have a blouse or a petticoat either, so I'll have to see how that goes once I manage to purchase them.

On that note, do you guys think that some styles of lolita may draw more attention than others?
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Lycorisa

hmm my first time I wore lolita to public was to an opera . LOL the older people said it was cute. I was nervous at first but no one said anything mean or anything so it was a nice day :>!
Lycorisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLittleWitch View Post
On that note, do you guys think that some styles of lolita may draw more attention than others?
I think that sweet draws the most attention, just because people aren't used to seeing anyone older than 10 in pastels. I think mostly though, it's certain items that attract the most attention. Bags shaped like food or animals, rocking horse shoes, bonnets, and parasols aren't seen very often so they're a lot more likely to be stared at haha.
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Soul_Siren
Magic is Golden

My first experience with lolita was at A-kon a few years ago. Gothic lolita is my style, and I received compliments on it. I think it was the first time I was called "lovely" in public by total strangers. XD

I've also worn gothic lolita to the local Japan Festival. A little girl saw me and told her mother she wanted a dress like mine. ^^

No need to be nervous! ^^ If it's something you like, then don't let someone else spoil it for you. Most people I've encountered have only positive things to say on lolita style. If anyone would say something mean, I would chase the offender away with my parasol.

Last edited by Soul_Siren : 09-07-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Soul_Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
PoodleBoy

My first time was at a con in Chicago several years ago. I was with a group of other lolitas. I was particularly nervous as I was the only boy in our group. I was all sweet lolita-ed out complete with wig and shoes and everything inbetween! It went really well and the day flew by because I was having so much fun! Only a couple of people "read" me as being male, but I didnt even care about that! It was the beginning of many fun times ahead!
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
fishoom
Hewwow dere

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am really glad that no one got much of a negative response.
Today was the first day of school for me and I went in a lolita outfit. However my petticoats I've ordered haven't come in yet so I had no poof...
A lot of people stared at me -.- But I did get some compliments!

To those of you who wore it to a con - would you ever consider wearing lolita in everyday life? Or have you already?, haha.
fishoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Kyomi
SO ZETTA SLOW

The first time I wore lolita out in public was to a small cosplay picnic at a park. There weren't many people there so no one really paid me any mind. We wandered into the nearby mall afterwards and we got some stares, but I can't say if it was because of me, my cosplaying friend (who was half in cosplay - she was worried about walking around there in bootyshorts so she had my petti on), or the both of us. Nevertheless, it was a lot more tame than I thought it would be.

The first time I wore one of my own skirts I made out in public was at the last convention - Fan Expo. The day I decided to wear it happened to be the same day as the organized lolita photo op, so there were a ton of girls in lolita who would just stare at me as I walked past. I remember there was this one time where I was going back to the hotel when a girl in a JSK walked by and just started to stare me down without saying anything, pretty much until she walked past. I'm not good with something like that so I started looking down instead. (Just curious : Is there a solution to this?) No one said anything directly to me about my skirt during the convention (which, to me, is a good thing), except for my friend, who was one of the organisers who tried to convince me to join the photo op.
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Soul_Siren
Magic is Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyomi View Post
I remember there was this one time where I was going back to the hotel when a girl in a JSK walked by and just started to stare me down without saying anything, pretty much until she walked past. I'm not good with something like that so I started looking down instead. (Just curious : Is there a solution to this?)
Sounds like JSK girl was rather rude. Best solution: smile and continue having fun. You are there to enjoy lolita. It wasn't cool of that chick to get all snobbish, and don't let anyone like her make you feel down.
Hope this helps. ^^
Soul_Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
LolitaiX

uhm the first time was the day before school and i was at walmart getting some note books last minuet this lady chased me down the hall shouting in a new jersey accent "THAT IS A BADDDDD DRESS GURL! ITS SOOOOO CUTE I LOVE IT!" and it was really sweet and of course i said thank you and giggled and everyone stared at me Lol

"holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal to throw at some one else, in the end you're the one who gets burned"
LolitaiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
SallyValentine

Hmm... Well, I can't really remember the first time I wore the style in public... Although, I remember this one time when I was out in town with my family, I guess it wasn't strictly lolita, but close enough. Anyway, I wear a gothic lolita style, and I was walking around, and there was a girl talking on a cellphone, and she goes 'Oh my gawd, a ten-year-old's a goth!' I was 11 : P
I did get some compliments though, the one I remember most was a lady who just said that she liked the style a lot... I sometimes get compliments on even casual gothic lolita clothes... They always seem to be from women between about 25-50, for some reason xD
SallyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Inkreader13

My first experience was about 2 weeks ago! I wore my dress to a cosplay/steampunk picnic. Everyone in the group who commented on my dress loved it!

I also had an awesome moment. A little girl and her mom were waiting to use the washroom while I was washing my hands. The girl whispered to her mom and the mom said out loud "Well why don't you tell the girl you think her dress is pretty?" It was super cute.

Wearing lolita out was really great. The first time I wore a cosplay in public by myself (out to eat lunch during a con) I had a horrible experience. It was great to be so easily accepted.
Sunday - Madoka

Follow me on my Deviantart and Tumblr.
Inkreader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I usually get compliments and some people asking if I'm going somewhere fancy. Although today I got a comment that was very odd. A guy called me "little red riding hood" his tone wasn't rude or anything so I just laughed. It was the outfit I'm wearing in my avatar, which has no red in it. The only red thing was my hair and I don't have a hood. Weird.
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
AngelicKey

I got alot of attention from little girls in my sweet lolita dress. they thought I was a princess. ^^