Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
SiveraChandler
Water Tribe

Glowing Wand! (Lux, League of Legends)

This is Spellthief Lux
one of my favorite characters in League of Legends, the game I currently get enough of.
I'm aware I look nothing like her, so I've settled for her wand and vial belt to add to my renaissance/steampunk outfits.

But I have no idea where to start, in the game, the vials and ends of the wand glow blue, and that would be a really neat effect if there's a simple way to do it.

SpellThief Lux IN GAME

I might wrap the ends in a colored leather, to help the illusion of the shape without trying to construct the entire thing as a solid piece. ANY advice you can give I would greatly appreciate!

Last edited by SiveraChandler : 09-07-2011 at 12:03 AM.
SiveraChandler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

cute vid.

So for glowing vials, you can do the short term trick of just emptying the glowstick liquid into vials. But it isn't very bright.

If you don't mind rigging up wires, you can get a decent glow effect by submerging UV (blacklight) LEDs in a solution of highlighter ink. You can harvest the ink by cracking open a bunch of highlighters and mashing them about while covered in rubbing alcohol.

The staff is similar. find a ball of some sort that is UV reflective, and pack the staff with a bunch of batteries and UV LEDs.

You can use regular LEDs to just illuminate whatever, but the effect doesn't have that cool otherworldly nature to it.
Unread 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Nachoman
Workmanship Nazi

The following will sound quite guetto, but it will be quite effective and easy to do by a novice:

Get a large faceted crystal for each end of the staff, then add a small flashlight shining into the crystal. Do make sure, however, that you are capable of getting to the batteries and switches.