Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
ChibiTeapot
Certified Cat Lady

Question First timer with questions.

Hi! I'm going to The Steampunk World's Fair this summer and have a few questions.

- Other than the listed events, what do you do at a Steampunk convention, exactly?

- Do you have to have some kind of character in place, or can you just go and act as yourself?

- I'm 14, is this appropriate for me? Would I fit in with the age range?

- What should I bring with me?

- Are there any important things I need to know about Steampunk in general?

If you can answer any of my questions, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
ChibiTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

ive never been to an event but, id think the age range would be 15-30
discussion of mechanics and/or electronics under the victorian future theme

my general guideline would be
1. steampunk is set in a "victorian age future" and lends itself to a age of engineering
and wartime/espianage theme
(this will dictate the general activities, mood and discussions)

2.going in shorts and a t-shirt will make you stand out like a sore thumb and isnt the best idea, imo, one should always try to match the theme just a bit, out of respect
(try a dress shirt and vest w/ slacks (for shorts, dark khakis should work)

3.if you go as a "spectator" (just to look), then try to learn something while your there
(if you have a genuine interest in being there, then show it, dont be afraid to ask about stuff)

lastly as is true with any event,
try not to act like a "deer in the headlights" for too long, its okay to be overwhelmed a bit but channel the awe into enthusiasm
generally, people dont mind, and usually expect questions,
so as long as you dont play 100?s w/ everybody, theyll usually enjoy sharing thier knowlege, youll lean stuff, and youll have fun
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

The most common view of steampunk I've seen is that "if the future happened in the past". I've actually never personally seen a take that's actually the future, but I guess it could be done, or a kind of regression, or something.

Just like any con, people wander around, hang out, talk - go to panels, games rooms, whatever.

Bring with you whatever you want. Money and ID, and whatever else you need during such an event. Some people like water (personally, I don't - but you know yourself better than I do !).

14 is on the younger end (steampunk stuff tends to attract an older crowd than anime cons), but I'm sure there'd be other people your age there. I wouldn't worry about "fitting in" - just being polite and having fun.

You don't need to have a character and you don't need to dress up. Sure, you can - but it's certainly not required.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Ironhill

I was at the Steampunk World's Fair last year and had a great time. In addition to the main listed events there are panels on everything from making props and costumes to movies and books with steampunk flavor to mummy unwrappings and Victorian Tea. Some of these will not be approate for you because of age. Sorry.

There wasn't a dealers room at last years con (first year). Instead, the rooms on the first floor were transformed into merchant stands where you could find everything steamy. I spent way to much time and money going from stand to stand. This area got crowded at times.

Don't worry about dressing up or being in character. One of the best panels I attended was on making steampunk personas. After going to that I went home and changed everything I was doing.

The best thing to bring is a camera. Believe me, if you don't have one with you, you will wish you did. You might want to bring food and drinks also and leave them in a cooler in the car. Hotel prices are a bit high and I would spend the money on other stuff.

The last thing is if you see an old man wearing a Charly Brown vest walking around, stop by andsay Hi. It will be me.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
DandyPianist
Pianist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
The most common view of steampunk I've seen is that "if the future happened in the past". I've actually never personally seen a take that's actually the future, but I guess it could be done, or a kind of regression, or something.

Just like any con, people wander around, hang out, talk - go to panels, games rooms, whatever.

Bring with you whatever you want. Money and ID, and whatever else you need during such an event. Some people like water (personally, I don't - but you know yourself better than I do !).

14 is on the younger end (steampunk stuff tends to attract an older crowd than anime cons), but I'm sure there'd be other people your age there. I wouldn't worry about "fitting in" - just being polite and having fun.

You don't need to have a character and you don't need to dress up. Sure, you can - but it's certainly not required.
I Must Agree with you on the fact that 14 is quite young for the "steampunk style". Though i think it also really just has to do with your concept on "steampunk culture" if going by the idea of it had humanity really somehow went down that path, we would all wear such things most likely regardless of age, though i still must say ide wait till maybe 16-30 maybe even 17... before actually starting. with the exception of some, it basically depends on how you look too... do you really pull off the whole "steampunk-mechanic theme" or do you fit into another theme? [me personally, i have been thinking of doing "steampunk" but i wonder if i would pull it off also there are many other things too]. I mean you could saying you are willing you could try (Emo,Gothic,Cosplay,Dandy,Kodona,Cyberpunk {cyberpunk being the other version of Steampunk in a way}, or hmm, even a butler type of idea and etc). as i see it really varies from each person and who they are? what there like? how they look? because you really have to admit some of us pull off the theme while there are other's better suited in other themes ( all im trying to say is we all have our own theme,we just have to find it) and i guess for now thats all im going to say, mostly cause this is supposed to be a qoute and i may have went a "little" overboard? lol xD

P,S, umm, i've been thinking what do you all think would be better for me im 6,6 ft brown hair blue-gray eyes, and white-ish lol like a babies bottom xDDDDDDDDDDDDD (lol srry i like to kid around) i was thinking of either going along the "Steampunk" or "Dandy" pathway im very kind and always willing to help and all so i was wondering what does everyone possibly think would be a "good" one for me? [note im fat yes, sadly? yes, but i've been cutting down going to gym (i love the gym but its...not fun lol) and should be able to pull of a very handsome look later after i lose all of it x3] but except for looking like the state blah blah blah marshmellow man from "ghostbusters" im all good! xD
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Zeek Aran

I was a participant at Anomaly Con, the first steampunk convention in Colorado, earlier this year.

The ages ranged from teens to 50s. I have photos. Some of those geezers had the best costumes, and they made me want to grow old and continue dressing up.

We tended to get personal with many of the people and discuss our handmade accessories/weapons. It was like a crafter's con. It was a real disappointment when someone answered with, "I bought it online" instead of explaining what they used to make a certain item they had.

It was the most mature con I'd ever attended, so your age doesn't matter as long as you act mature.

Some people acted fancy in character and had accents, others just acted like themselves.

Bring a camera.
Zeek Aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
LadyAri13
Seeker

Age doesnt matter as much as your overall behavior/attitude tho it does attract an older group than ani-cons. Just b respectful and have fun