Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 07-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
munchkinqueen

Help a newbie?

So I recently have been getting into steampunk, and want to attempt to make my first outfit I want it to be a kind of sky-piratey outfit. I have quite a few questions... First of all, what kind of bottoms should I make? I would like a skirt, but what kind of skirt is appropriate? Also, is there any cheaper alternative to corsets? I love the look, but they are expensive and hard to make. I have seen cinched skirts, thus solving both problems, but I can't find a pattern/tutorial for one. I also kind of want to create a mad eye moody-esque eye. Any ideas? And last of all, what kind of hat should I use? I love top hats, but does it work with the sky pirate theme? Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!
munchkinqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Skeff

I could only suggest rummaging through your local thrift stores first. See what you can find and what you think you can wear/alter and such. Almost all of the clothes for my steampunk getup came from a couple of thrift stores.

There really isnt any right/wrong when it comes down to it. See what you can find and what you can put together to get the look you're going for

"Your mechanical minions have been defeated! Now its just you, me, me, me and meeeee!"

Table Tops, Drinking and Stuff
http://totalmisanthropy.blogspot.com/
Skeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
munchkinqueen

Thanks Those are great suggestions!
munchkinqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

There's so much you could do with this idea. Like Skeff said, rummage thrift stores. Reference costumes you've seen that you like, and then look for things you can alter to make them appear how you want or find patterns that you can do some altering on if you know how to sew. If you have a picture of what you mean by a cinched skirt, that might help in getting some ideas on how to make one. I think if you are going the way of the sky pirate, you won't want a long skirt. Something shorter, maybe with a pair of bloomers or boys knee shorts underneath it. I myself am a fan of shorts with the drapes and bustles of the Victorian gowns over them. As for hats, if you are going for a more feminine look, look at fascinators. There are some really cool looking ones out there and give you tons of options and ideas to go crazy. The worst thing you could do is limit yourself. Don't be afraid of color. The Victorians certainly weren't. You don't have to stick with browns, reds, and off-whites. Throw in some green, blue, orange, whatever color you want!

Oh, and for corsets, depending on what type you want to make, you can make one for around $30. It won't be a Victorian one, but that's about how much the base cost of the materials for the fashion type ones I make are. I've used a few in some steampunk pieces I've made/am working on. And they include full steel boning inside instead of plastic.

Corset references:
Unfinished steampunk costume (that I might turn into a steampunk cabaret showgirl): http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2868506/ (scroll through a few more pictures to see all angles of the corset)

Finished steampunk that has been complimented on by Abney Park! Woo hoo for them liking my friend's costume: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2988119/ Again, if you scroll through the gallery you will see various angles of the costume. She's worn it to three conventions now, two A-kons and one Anime Blues Con, and constantly gets compliments on it and loves it. It's been tweaked over the last year, but we are very happy with where it's at.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Veela
Girly Geeks Got it <3

A friend of mine did a steampunk 'sky pirate' for halloween last year. She used Angelina Jolie's character from Sky Captain as an inspiration for her look.

Once she added all her accessories the look was incredible. Pocketwatch, couple chains with cogs on the ends ect.

I'm in the planning stages for a Steam Punk Twi'Lek (from star wars) and I'm taking the more neo-victorian route. Bustle Skirt, corset and the like.

The great thing about steampunk is that there's no one way to do it
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I love that top you posted Veela! So great looking. And I love your idea of a steampunk Twi'Lek. I'm a huge Star Wars fan (my brothers are bigger fans than me^^) and I love seeing the Steampunk take on Star Wars characters, so it will be really awesome to see a Twi'Lek done.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
StarlightJumper
Starlight Jumper

The biggest (and only) thing that should limit you (besides budget, of course) is your character herself. I'd come up with a basic personality. If she's super down-to-earth, you'll probably want pants. If she's more likely to dress with the latest fashion, you can still work that in. What position does she hold on the ship? As captain you can do anything, as long as it demands some attention. As an engineer, you need more practical clothing. Social rank before pirating or the exact targets of the pirating should be considered too. A poor pirate who targets food vessels won't dress as fancy as a noble or a pirate of noble vessels. The hat fits in the same way. If the job requires a lot of situations where the hat will get in the way, don't bother. If not, go for it.
As has been stated before, thriftstores are awesome, especially if you go with a more practically-dressed character. Our crew's doctor found most of the stuff in his closet or in Goodwill. I went fancier, so I needed to go to a more specialized store. As for the corset alternative, I'd say look into waistcoats or vests. For the eye, I think your best best would be to either create or buy a replica of Madeye Moody's and modify it with some more steampunky things if you see fit (it's already pretty close, so you could totally do without).
But yeah, most of your questions about the fashion itself will depend on what sort of character and what position they do on the airship.
StarlightJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
LadyAri13
Seeker

u could also use a waist cincher as opposed to a corset. Ive found fabulous things n thrift and vintage stores so check every one u can. Yard/estate sales as well