Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 09-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
shiro~petals

Help with McCall M4745 union officer coat

Tryin' (but failing miserably) to alter the double-breasted jacket in McCall's M4745 pattern to custom fit a male friend. I'm at the stage where I have all the pieces cut out, and I am trying to measure the pattern itself to see if it corresponds to my friend's measurements. I am confused on how to do it. He is close to Size M, which, unfortunately, includes two general sizes (men's 38 & 40), plus unknown ease allowances. Can anyone with experience with this pattern help me out? Thanks! : )

Last edited by shiro~petals : 09-09-2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: typo
shiro~petals is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
kbbandgirl

The best way is to either make a custom body form with your friends measurements (which can be done for about $6 and you can find tutorials on youtube) and then pin the fabric directly to the form and adjust from there.

Or you could grab your friend and hold the pieces up to him. If all else fails you can make it according to the pattern and alter it at the end using the trusty old pinch-and-pin method (which can also be found on youtube).
kbbandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
LunaSquee

i'd say make a test jacket in the sz 40 out of some cheap muslin. then check fit, pinning and altering patterns accordingly.
LunaSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I'm gonna agree with the making a test piece first. It's always good to make a mock-up if you aren't certain of the fit. That way, you can fit it and then use it as your pattern once you've gotten everything just the way you want it.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote