Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 11-30-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
LordVader
Gets Penny Arcade

Humor?

I always read people suggesting that if you do one of these things it should try to have at least a little bit of humor in it, but we all have a different sense of humor.

Some like slapstick more than dry wit, some like inuendo more than obscure references.

What kind of humor seems to go over the best with crowds and what are some of the moments that you have witnessed that were just perfect?
LordVader is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2003, 11:47 PM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVader
I always read people suggesting that if you do one of these things it should try to have at least a little bit of humor in it, but we all have a different sense of humor.

Some like slapstick more than dry wit, some like inuendo more than obscure references.

What kind of humor seems to go over the best with crowds and what are some of the moments that you have witnessed that were just perfect?
In my experience, the more 'silly' humor seems to go over better with the crowd, and I think it's because very few can pull of slapstick really well. The only slapstick I remember was when my then soon-to-be-boyfriend did a pratfall in the skit (I had never seen him do it, and no one on stage was prepared for it, even though we knew it was coming), and I almost rushed out concerned and ruined the skit, it looked so realistic. The people in the audience loved it, because apparently the look on the other guys face on stage was priceless.

I would stick with short, obviously funny jokes that almost everyone can get. Our most recent punchline (that got us the Most Hilarious Skit award at TT03) was: I like Picard because he's shiny! (read the skit here: http://www.storms-end.com/cosplay/skits/tt2003.html)

Try to steer clear of obscure references that only the most devout fan will understand. They usually don't go over as well. As for witnessed moments.... I honestly can't remember, which might be because I am usually in the greenroom.
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2003, 11:51 PM   #3
LordVader
Gets Penny Arcade

reason...

The reason I ask is because most of my ideas for this type of things usually involve spoofing a scene from an already famous movie.

For example, something that is very easy to spoof with the right characters and settings is the opening scene from Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Ficiton. I think lots of hilarity can come from the "useless chats".

And by the way, your skit was very funny.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!" -Aragorn

Last edited by LordVader : 12-01-2003 at 12:02 AM.
LordVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2003, 02:31 AM   #4
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVader
The reason I ask is because most of my ideas for this type of things usually involve spoofing a scene from an already famous movie.

For example, something that is very easy to spoof with the right characters and settings is the opening scene from Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Ficiton. I think lots of hilarity can come from the "useless chats".

And by the way, your skit was very funny.

Thanks! I will pass it on. It's funnier if you can hear the voices...but the only place with the sound is in my bedroom back home, in another country. >.<

I think spoofing famous movies is a good idea. I have heard of people doing the Men in Tights dance (not dressed up as men in tights, but that has been done), or using funny soundtracks, like that Dungeons and Dragons one (something about the world of El Diablo...).

Spoofing popular tv shows would work, too... Anime Survivor, Anime Idol....

I think it depends on the characters in your skit, because some shows lend themselves to certain spoofs better than others.

A group of cosplayers that I look up to have amazing skits - the Stitchin Babes. They do 'what if?' scenarios, like, 'what if disney princesses crossed with moulin rouge?' and came up with Disney's Diamond Dogs, or 'what if they had to pitch LOTR using the spectacular spectacular music from moulin rouge?' - ending in One Ring Circus. Very talented ladies.

Be sure to tell us (afterwards, of course!) what you come up with!
Unread 12-10-2003, 03:12 AM   #5
BountyBebopLuva
Go ahead, obey me :)

Eleryth, you did a Magan Carta skit! LOVELY! ^^

In Progress Planned Finished

ACen
Lloyd Asplund Code Geass: R2 Pj!Faye Valentine Cowboy Bebop - original design
BountyBebopLuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2003, 07:55 PM   #6
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyBebopLuva
Eleryth, you did a Magan Carta skit! LOVELY! ^^
*blushes* Thanks! It has almost NOTHING to do with MCWOG (as we have started calling it) except for the 'video game babe' part. It went over really well, though.... just wish we had the audio. That's what made it *really* hilarious (because the guy who did Tailune's voice has a really deep voice, it was really unexpected). We just like being really random.