Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Northwest Fan Fest

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
Miss_Kawaiix

I don't think they were trying to make you sound like a bad guy...

I'll probably go. It's kind of pricey though I noticed. :/ I mean, that's not going to stop me from attending, but 75 dollars? I'm use to being cheap and only paying 35 or 45 or whatever it use to be in the past...haha. But whatever, The more I read on this convention the more excited I am to attend it. It seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun!
Miss_Kawaiix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
CatzCradle

My friends and I already bought a ticket. Still not too sure about Cos&Effect yet. :P
CatzCradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
Zennousha

Still unsure on finances and having a place to rest for it, let alone if I'll be able to get the time off work. Lots to figure out and just waiting on the necessary components to conclude such a thought process.

The location is great though. Having been there for AE09 I'd say it's an awesome place.

If I figure out soon enough whether I'll be going, the only thing to figure out then is if I'll haul my guitar equipment up and jam some mindless J-metal for those willing to hear.
Zennousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Sesami

Akiyhrah: Understood and thank you, sorry about the late reply by the way, been real busy.

For those of you that are thinking about going, please note that the tier 1 discount for the 3-Day General Pass has ended and the current price is now $50 until March 31st, after that it will jump another $10, please don't wait until the discount is over =\

Currently our guests include Sarah Edmondson and Sugar Lyn Beard, Irulanne, Mark Nguyen, Fighting Dreamers Productions, Jessica Nigri, Doug Walker (aka The Nostalgia Critic) and Noah Antwiler (aka Spoony), there will be more coming (and yes, we are indeed looking into some guests from Japan).
Sesami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #20
pandaelly

Already bought my pass, and I'm super stoked!
pandaelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
Digital Dolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Kawaiix View Post
I'll probably go. It's kind of pricey though I noticed. :/
It's actually $75 + HST, which is $84, making it the most expensive anime convention in the Pacific North West.

I'd also like to correct the first post. Anime Evolution was on hiatus, while trying to deal with some internal issues. I'm also happy to announce that Anime Evolution has a staff meeting planned for this Sunday, to discuss the new structure of the executives, and discuss plans for 2012.
Digital Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
Halogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Dolphin View Post
It's actually $75 + HST, which is $84, making it the most expensive anime convention in the Pacific North West.

I'd also like to correct the first post. Anime Evolution was on hiatus, while trying to deal with some internal issues. I'm also happy to announce that Anime Evolution has a staff meeting planned for this Sunday, to discuss the new structure of the executives, and discuss plans for 2012.
$75 is at the door. If you pre-reg you save a lot more! It was as low as $40/3-day! Personally I would rather spend a little more and have the convention be at the Vancouver convention center than UBC! I hated having to navigate through the UBC campus, while in my elaborate cosplay, just to make it to a panel across campus! It sucked even more when it rained, or too hot, and the lack of public transportation after 9pm. Also, if i remember correctly AE on its last year was charging $65 at door for 3-day at UBC campus!

I wish AE luck with their meeting this Sunday! If they are planning to return in 2012, they better get going! I sure hope they don't book UBC.

On a side note, AE is rumored to owe all sorts of taxes and still hasn't returned money to a lot of people who either pre-reged or to their vendors. According to their wiki page they ran into "legal and financial" difficulties ("In 2011, due to legal and financial issues facing AE Convention Corp"). Will they honor those that lost money? If so, can I come to you dolphin since it looks like your affiliated in some way? Their contact page didn't get me any responses.
Halogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #23
Digital Dolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halogirl View Post
$75 is at the door. If you pre-reg you save a lot more! It was as low as $40/3-day! Personally I would rather spend a little more and have the convention be at the Vancouver convention center than UBC!
Almost every convention offers pre-reg discounts. I remember buying passes for SakuraCon, another convention in a convention centre, for $25 one year, when I bought it on the Sunday of the previous year's convention. That being said, a well run convention can make even the convention centre affordable, as FanExpo Vancouver shows by having a $30 price tag at the same venue as AR, with major name guests like Adam West and Tom Felton.

Quote:
I hated having to navigate through the UBC campus, while in my elaborate cosplay, just to make it to a panel across campus! It sucked even more when it rained, or too hot, and the lack of public transportation after 9pm. Also, if i remember correctly AE on its last year was charging $65 at door for 3-day at UBC campus!
Are you talking about AE in 2010 at UBC? The map looked like this:
http://web.archive.org/web/201007290.../?page_id=1191

Most of the content was located right next to the bus loop (A, C, D, and field), and accommodations were less than a 5 minute walk. That's better than most convention centres, including the Vancouver convention centre, unless you want to spend $120-$200 a night at the immediate hotels. Admittedly, the guest signatures area sucked. Building E LOOKS far away, but the foresty area is where most of the fan cosplay meetups happened, so everything was adjacent to each other and within plain view, and immediately close to both the bus loop and accommodations.

If you meant Cos & Effect 2011, then everything took place in building A on the linked map, which is IMMEDIATELY next to the bus loop, and impossible to miss.

Conversely, the convention centre in 2009 was a TERRIBLE mess. Their escalators kept breaking, all the panel rooms are sometimes multiple floors above the exhibitors halls, they don't allow any kind of food vendors, which kills a lot of traditional food content, and makes maid cafes almost impossible to run. The panel room costs are INSANE, and you can't put up almost any kind of decorations or mounted signage. The building itself is NOT set up to handle large conventions at all, despite having the size for them, the equipment just breaks down (especially the escalators, I can not stress this enough).

Quote:
I wish AE luck with their meeting this Sunday! If they are planning to return in 2012, they better get going! I sure hope they don't book UBC.
In terms of cost, availability of panel rooms, flexability, accommodations, photoshoot locations, and general size, UBC remains the best option Vancouver has for hosting a convention that is focused on more than just an exhibitors hall.

Quote:
On a side note, AE is rumored to owe all sorts of taxes
Nope

Quote:
and still hasn't returned money to a lot of people who either pre-reged or to their vendors.
True, and the topic will be addressed at the meeting.

Quote:
According to their wiki page they ran into "legal and financial" difficulties ("In 2011, due to legal and financial issues facing AE Convention Corp").
That was poor wording. However the difficulties that did exist have been resolved.

Quote:
Will they honor those that lost money?
They better!

Quote:
If so, can I come to you dolphin since it looks like your affiliated in some way? Their contact page didn't get me any responses.
I'm not officially affiliated with Anime Evolution at this time. Right now, the convention is "between owners" you could say. It's in the process of being handed over by the AE Convention Corp. to a new group (of which I am not a part) that will turn AE into a non profit society, and put AE back into the hands of the fanbase that created and supported it. A move that I, as a fan, support whole heartedly.

However, I don't want to give the impression I'm hiding who I am, so I'll happily state it. I am a former AE staffer, who held the position of Director of Communications in 2010. I am the person who coordinated with all the retail stores, sponsors, and some of the suppliers for them. I also worked with many of the attendees, panelists, and some of the guests. Since then, I formed my own company called IRL Events, an event promotion and production company, which (among other things) is dedicated to ensuring the conventions in Vancouver do not meet the same fate as Aka-Con, FanFairFest, and Anime Evolution. My company also maintains a calendar of what events and conventions are happening in Vancouver and the surrounding area, just to help raise awareness about events, and help promote everyone.

Put simply, my interests are in making sure Vancouver has the very best convention scene possible.
Unread 01-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #24
Halogirl

Quote:
Are you talking about AE in 2010 at UBC? The map looked like this:
http://web.archive.org/web/201007290.../?page_id=1191
umm...this map shows different buildings. I've been to the UBC conventions and half the place doesn't have AC. Not only that, but the distance to get from place to place is quite a walk - especially if you need to get from one panel to another that are in opposite buildings.

Quote:
Most of the content was located right next to the bus loop (A, C, D, and field), and accommodations were less than a 5 minute walk. That's better than most convention centres, including the Vancouver convention centre, unless you want to spend $120-$200 a night at the immediate hotels.
Some hotels and hostels in the downtown core can be much more affordable than $120. Of course the $120 hotels are 4 star or more. Even so, since skytrains and transit is so readily accessible, I can enjoy lowered rates at a location a bit out of the downtown core.

Quote:
Admittedly, the guest signatures area sucked. Building E LOOKS far away, but the foresty area is where most of the fan cosplay meetups happened, so everything was adjacent to each other and within plain view, and immediately close to both the bus loop and accommodations.
Building E "looks" far away because it is far away. But maybe you have very long legs and it doesn't bother you any. I'm short and its far for me! I'm going to agree that "foresty" area is very good for photo ops! But I will also say that downtown vancouver, gas town, olympic torch, and the water front can be equally as amazing.

Quote:
Conversely, the convention centre in 2009 was a TERRIBLE mess. Their escalators kept breaking, all the panel rooms are sometimes multiple floors above the exhibitors halls, they don't allow any kind of food vendors, which kills a lot of traditional food content, and makes maid cafes almost impossible to run. The panel room costs are INSANE, and you can't put up almost any kind of decorations or mounted signage. The building itself is NOT set up to handle large conventions at all, despite having the size for them, the equipment just breaks down (especially the escalators, I can not stress this enough).
Ok, this is what I find very disingenuous about you Greg. The building isn't setup for large scale conventions and the escalators keep breaking down? I get that you are running your costume party at UBC and I get that your a "promoter" of your events but when did that have to turn into trying to make fun of others just to "promote" yourself. It's really disgusting.

The convention centre was built with millions of tax dollars and they screwed up the elevators? Really?

The convention centre can't handle large scale events? So siggraph and fan expo are small events? Why did they chose the convention centre if it couldn't handle the con? Why do they keep putting up the so called "broken" escalators?

Now food, you have got to be kidding me about this one here. What "traditional" food did AE EVER have at UBC? In 09 when ae was at the convention centre, they had a maid cafe which was the same as UBC. In addition, besides starbucks and some cafetria food, what does UBC have close by?

Conversely, can you really tell me that Downtown Vancouver doens't have traditional food? I dont know about you, but I certainly don't spend 24hrs at any con. I go out and explore the town a bit. Exploring downtown is way better than exploring a university campus... I'm trying to understand you but I can't for the life of me understand how food at the university campus is any better than food downtown. And I can't remember for the life of me a time when AE had traditional food at their con....ever...

If you ask me, you sound like someone who is just bitter with life. If you hate Anime Revolution, so be it. But do you need to hate on the convention centre? Your arguments are so illogical. The million dollar convention centre that FE and Siggraph uses (and a multitude of other large scale cons - taboo sex show etc), are able to use it but when another Anime group uses it, it sucks?

But let's keep things on topic. I bought a ticket for AR and I also bought a ticket for CE. I'll judge for myself which is better. But right now, your certainly turning me off to your event. Go back to your forums and start your own feuds there.

/endrant.
Halogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
sierria
cosplay noob

Personally, as a UBC student, I am glad that they did not book at UBC.
I know from experience that walking from one building to another is not fun and that those buildings are pretty far away from each other.
Also, being there everyday, there is so little food available on campus, but at the VCC, there are many types of food available in downtown! Also, the Canada line is really accessible and fast so you don't even necessarily have to eat in downtown

That said, I like all sorts of cons, so I would probably go to all of them, but for convenience's sake, I would definitely choose VCC.
That place is pretty cozy too xD I went there last winter for a Christmas Craft's Convention.

Last edited by sierria : 01-29-2012 at 08:37 PM.
sierria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
Momimochi

I'd sort of like to second Sierria on the UBC campus. I remember going there with a friend of mine and I got lost on the way to the washroom. I found one of the staff to ask them for the direction but even they didn't know the way there. Wasn't that great of an experience for me.

Last edited by Momimochi : 01-30-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Momimochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
sierria
cosplay noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momimochi View Post
I'd sort of like to second Sierria on the UBC campus. I remember going there with a friend of mine and I got lost on the way to the washroom. I found one of the staff to ask them for the direction but even they didn't know the way there. Wasn't that great of an experience for me.
seriously? haha, well, I wouldn't be surprised...the only buildings where I legit know where the washrooms are are:
SUB, IBLC, and LSK (LSK because it's really IN YOUR FACE haha)
sierria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #28
Lumiex

This looks interesting. I might check it out since I live in the area.

But something's boggling my mind. I noticed that the pre-reg are all for the full three-day period, right? Since I have work and other things, I'm probably not going to make it to all three days so it'd be a waste to get those tickets. Are there going to be any one-day passes?
Lumiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #29
SiguusaEcho
Nekoma Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumiex View Post
This looks interesting. I might check it out since I live in the area.

But something's boggling my mind. I noticed that the pre-reg are all for the full three-day period, right? Since I have work and other things, I'm probably not going to make it to all three days so it'd be a waste to get those tickets. Are there going to be any one-day passes?
Single day passes will most likely be sold at the door, as far as I know. If you're planning on Saturday and another day, it will probably be cheaper, if not the same price, if you pre-reg. Since it's going to be $75 for 3 days at the door, one day passes added up will be a little more pricy. Doing the math as other cons do, cons typically price Saturday the most expensive day during a Friday to Sunday con due to longer hours.

Hope this helps somewhat, sorry for not having more concrete details.

Facebook: Siguusa Cosplay
Deviantart: SiguusaEcho
World Cosplay: Siguusa

Attending:
AniRevo 2014
SiguusaEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
kolibri
Photographing ninja

Quote:
The convention centre can't handle large scale events? So siggraph and fan expo are small events? Why did they chose the convention centre if it couldn't handle the con? Why do they keep putting up the so called "broken" escalators?
I don't know the cause (some people said kids were jumping on them, don't know if this is true), but I distinctly remember the escalators going downstairs where the dealers and main stage were to be out of action all the time throughout the weekend. At some point we used the opportunity to take some awesome shots on the stationary escalators until we were ushered away because we were apparently a fire hazard. Eventually we stopped going downstairs completely.

FanExpo will be on the Canada Place side, not on the new like AE was.

kolibri
Cosplayer and photographer
kolibri is offline   Reply With Quote