Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Northwest Fan Fest

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
Inuki1

1. Having an anime convetion at the convention center, which is insanely costly, probably not the best idea. Especially for a convention trying to get up onto its feet, with people being wary and relatively minor guests at this point (relative to other cons and past cons). I like to think AE realized the convention center was not financially feasible, which is one reason the con returned to UBC the following year.

2. It's the same weekend as the Zombie Walk. The last time AE was the same weekend as a Zombie walk was back in 2005 or something, which was the year before I started going to Zombie walk. If the choice is a toss up between AR on saturday and Zombie Walk, my choice is going to be Zombie Walk, because it's 1) free, 2) guaranteed to be fun, 3) has a long and reliable history. Given the amount of anime con fans/cosplayers who attend Zombie Walk, I can't see how AR thought this was a good idea, but whatever. Given that they are hosting it at the convention center, they likely had to book so far in advance that other event dates weren't announced yet.

Either way, at best, I would do fri/sun at the con, which is probably not worth paying for. Saturday I'd be doing zombie walk, the makeup takes hours and I'm usually exhausted afterward and have to take it off, so cosplaying something else after and going to an anime con isn't a reasonable question. So I might not even bother this year, which is really disappointing.

If I do show up, it would be only to cosplay fri/sun without paying or attending events probably.

As much as you guys harp on about UBC campus sucking, and I won't disagree with you, things that SFU & UBC shared which I liked were lots of outdoor areas for games (glomp circle etc.), grassy areas to sit down and picnic, and beautiful photoshot areas. I agree that UBC was a bit too spread out, and that there are likely more food options downtown... (although the convention center is not near much really decent food, you still have to travel quite a ways unless you want fast food or insane ovepriced yuppie food at the waterfront). However the convention center downtown felt too big for AE, like we hadn't grown into it yet. A lot of areas felt empty, and the few outside areas were remote/far away and kind of cold/lifeless.

And if the cost of the convention center is driving the $75 event prices, which I'm sure it is, then I'd rather have it back at UBC for a more moderate and reasonable price, personally.

As for Dolphin, he's argumentative about everything in case you haven't run into him before. There's no point in trying to argue, because he just picks fights with people. You might see him as being rude or trying to cram his opinion down your throat, but eh, I'm sort of used to seeing him do it at this point. He obviously doesn't care what anybody thinks about him and always thinks he's in the right. lol

Last edited by Inuki1 : 02-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Inuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
sierria
cosplay noob

hehe I wouldn't dare say UBC campus sucks since I go there xD but I guess for me it feels weird to be at a convention at my school lol I had actually forgotten about the scenery since well...UBC Memes I read last night would describe it:
UBC seasons: rainy, and construction XD
But the SFU campus on a nice sunny day is really pretty...especially in the Quadrangle (?) the place with the pond...

Anyways back on topic xD I guess I was kind of biased since I am at UBC everyday but I do feel that there isn't much food variety there...hmm...when I mentioned more food in downtown I meant using Canada line to get to robson ish area (or in my very extreme case I would SO go to Aberdeen for lunch! lol Though I suppose no one else would sacrifice that much time to go there ): haha)

Anyways, I have yet to go to a convention that is not at UBC or SFU so I'm curious to see how this will turn out! ;p

(btw I've never heard of zombie walk o-o is this in downtown too? Ima check it out xD)
sierria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #33
Momimochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierria View Post
hehe I wouldn't dare say UBC campus sucks since I go there xD but I guess for me it feels weird to be at a convention at my school lol I had actually forgotten about the scenery since well...UBC Memes I read last night would describe it:
UBC seasons: rainy, and construction XD
But the SFU campus on a nice sunny day is really pretty...especially in the Quadrangle (?) the place with the pond...
Which SFU campus? The one up in the mountains? /shot
Momimochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #34
Inuki1

Sierrria) the zombie walk starts on Saturday downtown art gallery every year. Then they usually march through the city. Last year's route was down Robson and up denman, finishing around English bay. Other years have gone through Pacific Center, Metrotown, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/events/268230029856866/

Here is the event page if you're interested. It does indeed conflict with Anime Revo, which is why I think it's poor planning personally due to the amount of crossover, people will definitely have a hard time picking, and photographers will likely favour Zombie Walk for the saturday day time I would imagine. It will definitely put a damper over AR's saturday.

Momimochi) Yes, SFU's up in the sclouds mountain top campus. Valhalla!

It's where AE was hosted since the get-go until about, what? 2008? When AE moved to UBC, we thought the con was going to be cancelled altogether honestly.

It was something like

AE 2007 (& all years prior): SFU
AE 2008 (almost cancelled): UBC
AE 2009: Convention Center (which imo they couldn't afford)
AE 2010: back at UBC
AE 2011 : cancelled - Cos & Effect & a Manga Marketplace were the only events run by diff organizers
AR 2012: Convention Center
AE 2012: In talks. I don't really have much hope/faith, and I think the community has lost faith by this point in them too, but we'll see what happens if they manage to get their crap together.

As far as I know, historically, AE's room bookings were handled and organized by the SFU Anime Club until 2008, which is the Company's line for why we moved to UBC. Although if you interacted with the staff it was pretty evident that they didn't want us there anymore.

Despite constant denials and attempts to smooth things over on AE's part, the SFU staff were booking other events in rooms normally reserved for AE, they blocked us out from renting townhouses, and eventually from renting any rooms altogether... they clearly didn't want us there anymore, and it was not surprising personally, based on the amount of filth and garbage AE con-goers were leaving lying around, and the nasty state they left the townhouses in after drunken underage partying.

For me, SFU was kinda far removed but I didn't mind it. UBC isn't terrible, I do agree it has faults in terms of food availability and location between buildings.. But I still have qualms with the convention center: primarily that I just don't think AE was quite ready to step into the shoes of a massive convention, the numbers were still growing. AR is, what, brand new? It doesn't seem wise to me to jump the gate and book the convention center for the first go, but I guess we'll see if they survive it financially?

Last edited by Inuki1 : 02-05-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Inuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #35
sierria
cosplay noob

@Momimochi yeah it was in the mountains lol last time I went there for a con it was pretty bleary...but I went there for an astronomy event last year it was great

@Inuki1 thanks for the info on zombie walk (I can't believe I never heard of that...)
So that's why it changed to UBC...I've only been to AE once in 2006 lol s: sounds pretty bad (also due to people who don't shower at cons or so I heard they don't...)
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #36
kolibri
Photographing ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuki1 View Post
AE 2012: In talks. I don't really have much hope/faith, and I think the community has lost faith by this point in them too, but we'll see what happens if they manage to get their crap together.
As far as I know, AE is planning on an event 2013 which makes sense - no way they could do anything this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuki1 View Post
AR is, what, brand new? It doesn't seem wise to me to jump the gate and book the convention center for the first go, but I guess we'll see if they survive it financially?
This is my biggest doubt with AR. I have very faith in these complete unknowns actually being able to pull off an event this scale... definitely not enough to give them money before I see the con actually happening. Not only do they have a very ambitious place to hold the con, but they also have a very challenging event schedule that they're promising... But we'll see.

I'm definitely going to the Zombie walk on Saturday, we've been going for several years running now. Not taking a day off work for AR on Friday, though I'll most likely check it out on Sunday.

kolibri
Cosplayer and photographer
kolibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #37
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Considering that Fan Expo Vancouver is at the VCEC and has FAR superior guests, the Zombie Walk is the same weekend and is FREE, and Cos & Effect is the week after with a FAR MORE reasonable price, I am finding it highly unlikely that I will attend. I have many issues with AR, which I have touched on previously, and they have continued to do and say things that I shake my head at. Frankly, the overall vibe I have gotten from the staff of this con is downright deceitful, arrogant, and selfish, and I want nothing to do with it.

Now I'm not out to slander you or anything, but I have made my opinion known to those who ask, and over the months since you first announced the existence of AR I have discovered that my opinions are a popular one. You may want to stop bristling up and going on the defensive at everyone who shares their opinion or asks you a legitimate question and take a look at WHY they are saying these things. I for one was extremely excited when AR was first announced, and it's very disappointing that I have gotten to the point where I'm tempted to refuse to acknowledge it's existence as a con in Vancouver. I genuinely believe you guys have a lot of growing up to do before you can hope to run a successful convention. Look what happened to AE.
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #38
SiguusaEcho
Nekoma Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyhrah View Post
Considering that Fan Expo Vancouver is at the VCEC and has FAR superior guests, the Zombie Walk is the same weekend and is FREE, and Cos & Effect is the week after with a FAR MORE reasonable price, I am finding it highly unlikely that I will attend. I have many issues with AR, which I have touched on previously, and they have continued to do and say things that I shake my head at. Frankly, the overall vibe I have gotten from the staff of this con is downright deceitful, arrogant, and selfish, and I want nothing to do with it.

Now I'm not out to slander you or anything, but I have made my opinion known to those who ask, and over the months since you first announced the existence of AR I have discovered that my opinions are a popular one. You may want to stop bristling up and going on the defensive at everyone who shares their opinion or asks you a legitimate question and take a look at WHY they are saying these things. I for one was extremely excited when AR was first announced, and it's very disappointing that I have gotten to the point where I'm tempted to refuse to acknowledge it's existence as a con in Vancouver. I genuinely believe you guys have a lot of growing up to do before you can hope to run a successful convention. Look what happened to AE.
...I'm sorry...?
I've read your post several times over the past hour as I don't even know where to start. I'm not sure if you wanted someone to reply, but here goes, I guess.

Note: It got pretty long z.z

You probably know better than me about the initial start up of AR - I hadn't found it til Octoberish, or so my forum account tells me. The only interest I have with past mistakes is to learn from them, and correct them. Of course, not doing them again helps(My math midterm can attest, haha). Does the staff really give that negative of a vibe? I'll openly say that I'm probably biased about that - anyone who has a opinion about it is the same - as I've met most of the staff members in real life. And they're all really nice o.O I realize how generic and lame that sounds, but it's the honest truth >.< I mean, everyone has their personalities, and quirks, which all contributes to the atmosphere that I feel when I'm at a staff meeting, on the forums, or our random MSN chats... of randomness.
Everyone's fun to be around, and our staff meetings, are, uh, fun. I honestly look forward to them(Annnd now someone's gonna see and probably tease me about it :'D). I don't know how other cons run their meetings, as AR is the first con I've staffed for, but the other staff members are growing on me and becoming my third family. Trust me, I wouldn't willingly work with people who I disliked, and especially not for free >.>

Most of the staff are students, with a lot of them working part/full-time jobs as well. Most of our Directors are no longer in school, and are working in a variety of occupations. However, everyone's working hard, and putting in so much time and effort to make AR as successful as possible in its first year, all the while managing the rest of our lives... Although I'm pretty sure that AR has taken over many of our 'lives'. I agree that bristling up and being defensive is the one of the worst ways to answer questions, but at this point, I don't feel that we are doing as bad as you see it. Maybe this is just my optimistic side speaking. Not you, but there are people who are, and will keep bringing up stuff from the past, and things that have been answered over, and over again. Constructive criticism, I wouldn't mind, but some of the stuff is set to full bash/hate mode from people who don't care to see us succeed, and it's hard to read. Depressing at times, I guess. But I'm not alone in this, and despite how I might feel about at times, I know that we'll succeed.

Everyone on the team is capable, and while we're pretty silly at times, we know that there are times where we have to be serious. In terms of growing up, I believe that in running this convention, while we might have more to learn and experience, I don't find that anyone is lacking maturity. Our youngest staff member is one of the most resourceful people who I know, and wise beyond her years I might add. BUT I realize that those are my opinions, and perhaps not what a random bystander might see, or know.

To your initial points, the choice of attending any set of events is your own personal choice(...Unless you get dragged qq). Fanexpo, the Zombie Walk, and Cos & Effect all have some overlap with AR, but each event has different target audiences(some of which may overlap) and/or activities. Fanexpo now has some anime related programming, but they are still a comic con, as they've written. Also, they are holding their con in April. Zombie Walk, I know people on both sides of the fence, people who are super excited, and people, who, well, don't even want to hear the word 'zombie'. Prices for Cos & Effect are fair for the type of event that they are holding, and the C&E vs AR nutshell has been cracked open, and thrown under many, many microscopes. It's silly, as both events have their own pros and cons(no pun intended). As for our guest list, our programming team is still in the process of contacting potential guests. Well, if you decide in the end not to attend AR 2012, I hope that the results of this year's con will change your opinion for next year's xD

SiguusaEcho, signing out for now \o/

Facebook: Siguusa Cosplay
Deviantart: SiguusaEcho
World Cosplay: Siguusa

Attending:
AniRevo 2014
SiguusaEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #39
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Every time I have asked a question or disagreed with something AR is doing I have been met with hostility not only from the staff, but the AR community. The community as a whole has proven to be immature, petty, and unnecessarily rude. I have seen people flamed on the forums, facebook, and twitter simply for asking legitimate questions, I know several people who have similar experiences, and several others with a whole different set of issues with AR.
Like I said, I was initially excited for AR, but the overall behaviour of the staff and community has severely disappointed me. I understand that they are just regular people with school, jobs, etc., and that they are working hard to put the con together. However that is not an excuse to pick fights, flame people, and create drama. They may be nice in person, but behind their keyboards they are very arrogant and take what other people say FAR too seriously. I'd like to stress again that it is both the staff AND the community of supporters that I've seen this from, and it's downright despicable.
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #40
Sesami

I'd like to ask everyone here to clam down and stop exchanging these arguments, it is obviously not going anywhere.

On a side note, our latest guests are Vincent Corazza and Ron Rubin, however, I'm afraid Lee Tockar is no longer on the list. =\

Last edited by Sesami : 02-15-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Sesami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #41
SiguusaEcho
Nekoma Trash

Only a couple more months. Seems so far away, yet so close at the same time! I mean, so much more to do, and I still have my cosplays to sew and everything /o\ Ah well, I have no doubts that we will pull through and make our initial year amazing. I hope everyone else is as excited as I am!

Facebook: Siguusa Cosplay
Deviantart: SiguusaEcho
World Cosplay: Siguusa

Attending:
AniRevo 2014
SiguusaEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #42
Sesami

Anyone going to Fan Expo Vancouver could come visit Anime Revolution at FanExpo Vancouver! We’ll be putting on 2 panels for FanExpo and will have a booth for ticket sales and cosplay pictures! We are in the COMMUNITY section 429.

We’re also pleased to announce our official Hotel today: MARRIOTT VANCOUVER PINNACLE DOWNTOWN

This hotel is only a 2 minute walk from the Vancouver Convention Centre and is a 4 Star hotel. With a special rate of $149/night, that’s $100 in savings. Use this special link to take advantage of the deal!

https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do...ventID=9465567

You may also call: 1-877-513-6305 to book a Reservation (Please reference: Anime Revolution)

Another good news is that FUNimation will be our Industry guest of honour! Enjoy panels and sneak peeks hosted by FUNimation representative Sarah "Sully" Sullivan, plus several FUNimation titles showing in our viewing room!

Last edited by Sesami : 04-22-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Sesami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #43
Lumiex

Yes <3 Funimation's got some pretty nice shows that I'd like to watch.
Lumiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #44
Ketsivaun

Well I am definitely going to Anime Revolution this year just to give it a chance.
Excited to see some of the guests there.
Just waiting for money to roll in so that I can purchase a pre-reg pass but yup I'll be there. :O
Luckily I have all my costumes but I just need to get some small accessories then I am all good.
Ketsivaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #45
sierria
cosplay noob

D: I still have no costumes >:

I wonder if FUNimation will be playing a mix of new and old anime...and if they'll be subbed lol
one day you should get niconico to come 8D
Ja'far [Magi]
Anna [K]
Bandou [K]