Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Mass Effect

Unread 09-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Mr_Suxxor

Garrus Mask Help!

So I have decided to make Garrus from Mass Effect and I am having trouble figuring out how to make the head.
Ref: Head
What sort of options do I have here? and what would be the best way to go about making all this? I have like 6 months until I need it finished but I don't know where to even start, so any help would be much appreciated.
Mr_Suxxor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Chances are the technique you use for the mask will be dependent on the technique you choose to make the armor. That way you will save on materials and not need to learn extra techniques.

Then, the only remaining question would be whether or not you want to try to articulate the mouth. To do that you would make the mandible separate from the face. Then you would adhere the mandible to your jaw.

If doing a psycho perfectionist costume, you would cast the pieces out of foam latex, slushcast latex, silicone rubber, or possibly polyurethane. You could potentially skip making a lifecast of your head since the face is more rigid, and not so much expression needs to show through.
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Mr_Suxxor

hmmm...well I defiantly want to be able to eat, so I think I will go ahead and attach the mask jaw to mine so I can open and close it.

I was thinking of making the armor out of cardboard or EVA foam, would those be acceptable to make the the carapace part of the mask? and maybe some sort of stretchy material for the skin? If so, what would be a good material for the skin? and how to you make it so EVA foam keeps the shape that you want and not flatten out again?

sorry for the question but I want to do great on this, just not psycho perfect, that sounds expensive and hard O_o
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Yeah, you could do it in white EVA foam. You get it to hold it's shape by heat treating it. You can carve detail into it with hot tools. You either buy an electric tool for like wood burning, or you use various dental tools, held briefly over an alcohol lamp. Be careful if using the latter technique. It is easy to start fires or burn yourself doing this.
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Mr_Suxxor

thanks for all the info!!!