Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
NeoGC
The Rookie.

I had my first ever cosplay experience yesterday, and I LOVED it.

Hi there, Coscom. I joined this site about last year thanks to my interest in cosplay being jumpstarted by Megacon 2013. Ever since that March I said to myself, “Wow! I want to do that too”! And now, a whole year later, I had my first ever cosplay experience yesterday at Megacon 2014.

I spent last summer building my cosplay; I looked online, saved webpages, scavenged thrift stores, compared shirts, jackets, prices, you name it. While I admit I am absolutely talentless and awful when it comes to sewing or embroidering or any kind of fashion design for that matter, I worked with what I knew, and used at least a dozen pictures of my character (Marty Mcfly from Back to the Future…which was nice and simple for my first ever attempt!) on my phone while I searched store after store to find the right pieces of clothing. While I never got that damn denim jacket exactly the way I wanted it, I got just about everything else spot-on. The signature orange vest cost me around 30 dollars (And it was on sale!) and is easily the most expensive part of this about 60-80 dollar cosplay, which is REAL cheap considering the crazy stuff others have done.

I gave the costume a quick test drive back around Halloween to a small Halloween party put on by my old High School drama troupe, and while it was nice, the atmosphere there is very different than a con. Months passed, and March 22nd finally came. I woke at 4:30 in the morning and left at 6:30 in order to get to the convention center at around 8.Another friend of mine and I were the only ones that bought our tickets in advance, and thus, is why we had to leave early: so that our other friends could get tickets. They had to do it the hard way though: By lining up at the door with the hundreds of other people wanting to enter the convention. Megacon this year was easily double the population of last year, it seemed. Going into the vendor’s hall we actually got delayed entrance due to “Over-capacity and safety concerns”. So, that’s ALWAYS a good sign!

But from walking outside to into the con, hearing people call out and recognize your cosplay for the first time is amazing. Hearing, “Hey, it’s Marty Mcfly!” and, “What’re you DOIN’, Mcfly!?!” (Quote from the movie) and, “Hey, Mcfly!!” made me feel kind of like a rock star in some silly way. The people, the pictures, the recognition…it was really awesome, and it opened my eyes to part of the reason why a lot of people truly love this hobby. The rest of the day was a blast, and having Phil Lamarr (Voice of Vamp from MGS, Green Lantern, Static Shock) yell out to me, in his best Doc Brown voice, “MARTY! THERE YOU ARE! WE HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!!” and me, being the theatre student I am, playing right along with it, creating a short 30 second improve session with PHIL FREAKING LAMARR was just amazing. I’m thinking about going to Metrocon with the outfit this summer when my friend from NY is in town, and maybe even taking this cosplay a third time to Holiday Matsuri with a cute little Santa hat thrown on. Having finally cosplayed for the first time at a convention, I realize why so many people love this hobby. It’s the payoff of hard work and dedication…from sewing fabric and constructing props, to searching store after store to find that ONE shirt you need. It makes cons SO much more exciting, and I feel that everyone that goes to a convention should maybe dabble in it at least once.

I’m looking forward to what I can do in the future…I’m thinking about tackling my dream cosplay: Solid Snake as he appears in Metal Gear Solid 1.

TL;DR – I cosplayed for the first time at Megacon last Saturday and it opened my eyes to the hobby and I had a complete blast finally in costume, and see it now as vital to the entire convention experience; both dressing up and spectating. I’m very excited for future cons and cosplays.

-Current and Future Cosplays-

Marty Mcfly (Back to the Future) - 100%
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain) - Research and Planning

NeoGC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
BiohazardBeauty
Moved to LadyChernobyl

Feels good huh?
I went to my first con a month ago. It is definitely a big change from just Halloween gatherings. I did the same, until I moved.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience!

Next Convention: Phoenix Comic Con
BiohazardBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
kirilee

That's awesome!
My big debut is this weekend! I hope it is just as positive! I'm going as a tardis from doctor who

Next convention: Supernova - Perth, Australia

kirilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
irishattherock

Congrats! Welcome to the madness.

Working on:
Junko Enoshima (Dangan Ronpa) - 50%

Upcoming cons: New York Comic Con

Facebook | Tumblr
irishattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
NeoGC
The Rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiohazardBeauty View Post
Feels good huh?
I went to my first con a month ago. It is definitely a big change from just Halloween gatherings. I did the same, until I moved.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience!
It really is different! But I loved it! How are Metrocon Holiday Matsuri? I was thinking of just using the costume again for Metro (Though that's more anime focused, yes?) And putting a cute lil' Santa hat onto it for Holiday Matsuri. :3

Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain) - Research and Planning

Unread 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Tensaihime
Lonelyrolling Starwarrior

ONE OF US
ONE OF US
I'm glad you've gone to a place you don't need roads. Good luck putting Snake together!

PREPARE FOR TROUBLE

I've always got more pictures... XD
Tensaihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
jgjenna

Glad you had so much fun! Be careful, its very addicting!

Cons This Year:
Wondercon 2014
jgjenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
NeoGC
The Rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensaihime View Post
ONE OF US
ONE OF US
I'm glad you've gone to a place you don't need roads. Good luck putting Snake together!
Thank you! I'm not even sure where to start though...

Unread 03-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
ItsTroy

Metrocon and HM are a lot smaller than Megacon but are still great cons to go to (Especially Metro).

Hope to see you at one of them, follow FL Cosplayer.

WIP: DeathGun, Rensouhou-chan, Ghelzonianses, Acksonl ( ̄ω ̄)
Cons: Khaotic Con, Metrocon, AFO, Shadocon, Holiday Matsuri
ItsTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

I'm glad you had an excellent time! Nothing beats the first cosplay experience in my opinion. That one will always be special.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

Now you see why cosplaying is so awesome. The first one is usually the best one, especially if you cosplay someone who rarely gets any attention like Marty (Brownie points from me for that, huge BTTF fan!).
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)

Working on:
Mike Schmidt the Night Watchman (Five Nights at Freddy's)
Mr. Van Driessan (Beavis and Butthead)
Iron Chef Tony Stark
Sonny Crockett: Agent of Shield
Leatherface
Scarecrow1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
Sapphirecatgirl

I'm so glad you had fun. I had my first experience and debut at Castle Point Anime Convention back in 2013. Hope you get to attend more cons in the future.
Sapphirecatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote