Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-20-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
cuda

Exclamation Thought's about male cosplayers?

hey everyone, I'm hoping I don't trip on a land mine here by talk about this, But I'm go to ask anyways. What are your thought's about male Cosplayer? Do you think it's great that they're out there, you don't really care about the gender differences or It does bother you.

I don't want this to Turn Into a War of the Male vs. Female.

with that said, I'm going to share my thought's about male Cosplayers. Being one of them, I feel no shame about telling people that I'm a cosplayer, nor do I feel like lesser then any other male that thinks cosplay is not acceptable to participate in. To be honest I think there shouldn't be an issue if your male cosplayer or a female cosplayer.

Last edited by cuda : 02-25-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: to ask the question better
cuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
Demondrac

In all honesty, it's obvious that female cosplayers get a little more attention than male cosplayers do (Coming from a non-cosplayer, for the time being). However, I don't feel like that should make anyone feel less of anything. I think it's simply because we see people who don't even like Anime, comic books, video games, etc, pay attention to these women. I mean, just compared facebook fan pages .-.

But, to sum it up, men shouldn't feel down because they are getting less attention, their cosplays could be just as good, if not better.
Demondrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #3
Undertaker^^
Ghost Type Pokemon

I am pretty sure both male and female's get a fair amount of attention, i think it mostly come's down to the costume's and how well or liked they are...

-Youmacon 2014-

-List of wanting to-do for Youmacon cosplay-

Mega Banette Gijinka
Mega Charizard X Gijinka
Enderman Gijinka
Eyeless Jack

Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
Syon

I think you make up a problem that isn't there. Male cosplayers are accepted and a normal part of every convention I have seen and been to. There are plenty of male characters to cosplay and there are always guys participating in contests and other cosplay-events.

I would even flip the whole thing and say male cosplayers tend to have it easier in some parts, because they don't have to deal with slut-shaming, attention from creeps and also never had to "prove" that they are really geeks/nerds.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
Dazreiello

Yea, I was a little surprised to see that male cosplayers had any issues at all in this sort of ordeal. I mean I wouldnt know I guess I'm just starting to really get into it myself. I remember going to my first convention, I was definitely a newb at society (Still am) and came in with the typical preconception that passionate female "nerds" are very scares. However I couldn't be further from wrong, I saw just about an even ratio of males and females! however that just seemed to depress me somehow, they were all so pretty *cry*.

Regardless I'm very happy to know that everyone gender or race are enjoying this sort of thing, no one has to feel alienated. I dont see too many communities that really represent quality like cos-players (ofcourse there will still be people in it that will compare costumes and get mad but hey, look at the majority)
Dazreiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
lemuries

I think they are a rare and precious commodity and we need to support and encourage them in any shape, size, color, or predilection (except creepy/annoying behaviors).

Most of the cosplay source I want to bring to life is from a card game where most of the characters are male. I can't get groups together because there aren't enough guys out there to work with. I want more!
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
MirniMausi
Life is SHOWTIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
I think they are a rare and precious commodity and we need to support and encourage them in any shape, size, color, or predilection (except creepy/annoying behaviors).
Same here. I'd love to see more male cosplayers, because, even though some girls do an amazing job on portraying males, it's still much more authentic to have guys cosplay male characters. In my main fandom, most of the characters are male, but cosplay from those series is awfully rare, because many of the fans who are also male don't cosplay. It's hard to get groups together with such a few fans and especially such a few (male) cosplayers.

I especially appreciate male cosplayers putting the same work and effort in their cosplays as females, which means I love when males actually sew and craft themselves, as especially sewing is still considered an activity for females.

~Up Next~
Kotoha Hanaori ~Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger Ending~ (Samurai Sentai Shinkenger)
Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
TitanSlayer000

I'd love to see more male cosplayers. Unfortunately it seems like they do get less attention and it's harder because they can't take the easy way out and base their cosplay and sex appeal, which is an easy way to get attention.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Scarecrow1992

Maybe I'm going out of left field, but I think it has something to do with sex appeal. Female cosplayers have more attention generally because of this, be it cosplaying characters like Slave Leia or Power Girl that are inherently sexy/have cleavage or doing a female version of a male character (Usually a "sexy" version). Men don't have as many options, since R63 isn't as kind to guys as it is girls (Unless it's ironic). That's why most of the popular cosplayers out there are all women.

However in my personal opinion, I think both sexes should get an equal amount of attention, especially if hard work is evident on either party. It's just the sex appeal I feel that brings more exposure to female cosplayers from the male noncosplaying demographic. Guys might get some appeal too, but it's a rarer occurance if you ask me.
Tommy Vercetti (GTA Vice City)
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)

Plans for 2014:
Turbo (Wreck it Ralph)
Soldier (TF2)
Bad Cop (The Lego Movie)
Sonny Crockett Batman (Miami Vice/Batman mashup)
Cheese Sandwich (MLP)
Mankind/Cactus Jack (WWF)
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
MirniMausi
Life is SHOWTIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow1992 View Post
Maybe I'm going out of left field, but I think it has something to do with sex appeal. Female cosplayers have more attention generally because of this, be it cosplaying characters like Slave Leia or Power Girl that are inherently sexy/have cleavage or doing a female version of a male character (Usually a "sexy" version). Men don't have as many options, since R63 isn't as kind to guys as it is girls (Unless it's ironic). That's why most of the popular cosplayers out there are all women.

However in my personal opinion, I think both sexes should get an equal amount of attention, especially if hard work is evident on either party. It's just the sex appeal I feel that brings more exposure to female cosplayers from the male noncosplaying demographic. Guys might get some appeal too, but it's a rarer occurance if you ask me.
Maybe it's also because many of the fans who don't cosplay themselves but look at cosplays are male? Imho, there's a ton of attractive male cosplayers with amazing costumes, but they still don't get that much attention as they mostly cosplay characters from franchises with a mostly male fanbase. Of course those guys would pay more attention to the female cosplayers, which I think is a pity. I guess male cosplayers would get much more attention if they did cosplays from franchises with a female fanbase. A cosplay group from, let's say Ouran High School Host Club with all male characters cosplayed by guys? I'm sure the girls would love it.
Now don't get me wrong, this is more of an explanation than something I ask for. In the end, everyone should cosplay whatever they want.

~Up Next~
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
Undertaker^^
Ghost Type Pokemon

I honestly have no issue with cosplaying characters from anime/manga that is more for females... ( i reckon kuroshitsuji could be in that situation? ) they tend to have some pretty cool male character with awesome outfits.

~.3.~ meaning undertaker or sebastian from kuroshitsuji or kyoya or takashi from ouran and various other things~

-Youmacon 2014-

-List of wanting to-do for Youmacon cosplay-

Mega Banette Gijinka
Mega Charizard X Gijinka
Enderman Gijinka
Eyeless Jack

Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #12
GoldenTriforce

I dont believe I know enough to answer this question that well, but here is what I think. Its not that there are more female cosplayers, it is that other people (non cosplayers, manly males) are more attracted to female cosplayers, and that girls are more prone to wanting people to take pictures of them. I am not trying to be sexist, nor I am I saying I know the answer, but I am just guessing.

Also, I am guessing that there is a close to even ratio in gender for cosplayers, but i have not been to a convention before(going to PAX East this year) so I am just guessing.
GoldenTriforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
MirniMausi
Life is SHOWTIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker^^ View Post
I honestly have no issue with cosplaying characters from anime/manga that is more for females... ( i reckon kuroshitsuji could be in that situation? ) they tend to have some pretty cool male character with awesome outfits.

~.3.~ meaning undertaker or sebastian from kuroshitsuji or kyoya or takashi from ouran and various other things~
I guess you can count Kuroshitsuji, yup. It's good to hear that there's male cosplayers out there who make those cosplays. I guess most males don't cosplay stuff like that because they haven't seen the shows. I showed a friend and my boyfriedn the Ouran Live Action and they loved it, so I guess it's really more a thing of them not knowing the shows than not caring for them.

~Up Next~
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
siyrean

Get a bunch of hot guys cosplaying in swimsuits from Free! And I guarantee they'll get as much or more attention than a hot girl cosplaying Yoko. Guys just tend to do less fanservicey characters.

CostumeCon: Princess of the Crystal-Penguindrum, Cersei Lannister-ASoIaF, Steampunk
Ohio Ice and Fire con: Cersei Lannister, Modern Val-School of Thrones
Anime North: Shura, Agnes-Tiger&Bunny, Princess of the Crystal, (GB)Roman Torchwick-RWBY
Anime Midwest: Finnian-BlackButler, Shura, Ouran, RWBY PJ ver.
Atomic LolliPop:
Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Princess of the Crystal, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver.
Teslacon: Steampunk
siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
GoldenTriforce

It might be that girl cosplayers just want/get more attention. Also I have never been to a convention yet (going to PAX east) but I would guess that 40-50 percent of cosplayers are male

Also I wrote a giant reply but I don't think it submitted so I just shortened it down.
GoldenTriforce is offline   Reply With Quote