Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Unread 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
MagdaleneDaae

Abarat Costume modeling

Okay, so I am making Christopher Carrion's Candlemas fur coat because the description sounded awesome and my workplace is freezing and as a rule if you must wear a jacket there it has to be creepy.

However, the friend I got willing to model as Carrion (she has a better build for it, can bind better and her hair takes better to a bald cap) will not be visiting until March. I am making the jacket this week and want to post pictures as soon as possible.

What should I do as far as modeling it myself since there is no way I can pull off Carrion?

1. Princess Boa wearing the coat, which might make symbolical sense based on her characterization in Absolute Midnight.

2. A stitchling with a feminine form in the coat.

3. Genderbend it since my breasts and hair are the things keeping me from doing a good job as Carrion and just do full on make-up, head tank and tubing with the coat and call it 'Christine Carrion'. Keep in mind, it wouldn't be sexified, just it would have hair and maybe a corset involved.

Which would be best for just some professional shots of the jacket do you think? I hope someone here has read the series, because I could really use some advice on this.
"I did not spend centuries feasting on the souls of the righteous to play typing games with the functionally illiterate."-Kil'Jaeden, Scourge Chat Log #1
MagdaleneDaae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

I just finished a Christopher Carrion costume and it was very fun. What about making a coat with androgynous lines like these drawings? http://terryblas.blogspot.com/2008/0...-midnight.html
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
MagdaleneDaae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine-Chan View Post
I just finished a Christopher Carrion costume and it was very fun. What about making a coat with androgynous lines like these drawings? http://terryblas.blogspot.com/2008/0...-midnight.html
Well, while those are very pretty, I really wanted to make his candlemas skin coat, the black one with all the furs, I think there may have even been a picture in the second book if I could only find my copy. I would love to see your costume and how it turned out, I'm on a major Abarat obsessing binge since the new book and Carrion is my favorite character.
"I did not spend centuries feasting on the souls of the righteous to play typing games with the functionally illiterate."-Kil'Jaeden, Scourge Chat Log #1
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

I know there isn't a full body picture of him as far as I have been able to research. In the second book there is a picture of him during the sea battle with a broken tank but is only from the chest up and by that time he had changed to red and scarlet robes as far as I read. Here is my album when I get some better shots I will update it. http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/218389/

The good thing about the cut of the coat is is hides my d to dds well.
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
MagdaleneDaae

Quote:
I know there isn't a full body picture of him as far as I have been able to research. In the second book there is a picture of him during the sea battle with a broken tank but is only from the chest up and by that time he had changed to red and scarlet robes as far as I read. Here is my album when I get some better shots I will update it. http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/218389/

The good thing about the cut of the coat is is hides my d to dds well.
Hmm, well maybe what I'm remembering is a fanart then, I'll have to find the picture I'm thinking of. Hey, what exactly did you make his Nightmare tank out of? I'm at a loss for how to that part and that's the main thing that will make him recognizable.
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

It is two layers of a thin flexible plastic that is held together by silicone, aquarium tubing and strips of painted pvc held on with quick grip. It doesn't hold liquid yet because one of the seals failed but it could.
Unread 10-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
MagdaleneDaae

Quote:
It is two layers of a thin flexible plastic that is held together by silicone, aquarium tubing and strips of painted pvc held on with quick grip. It doesn't hold liquid yet because one of the seals failed but it could.
Awesome! I'll see if I can manage that, the coat I'm making is coming along quite well, just need to add the faux fur pelts and black plumage. I think I may tackle Mater Motley's soul gown next if I can find my dressform.