Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Vegas

Unread 09-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
SilverStarboy

Whats this con like?

I have considered going to this convention and I was wondering what it was like? I love the long lists of guests(I collect autographs), and I thought it would be a good excuse to travel to vegas. So is tis a good con?
SilverStarboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Eerie Butterfly
Bacon, the candy of meats

it's a relatively smaller con (about 3000, give or take). when it comes to guests, this is the list of guests that came for the past few years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Vegas (the guests are mainly from the american side of anime, but they do have the occasional japanese guest). you can get every guests autograph in about 4 hours, which is awesome! when it was at cashman center, the only place that was crowded was the hallways, but (from what i heard) alexis park was crowded all over.

personally, i'm not a fan of anime vegas nor am i a fan of some of the staff, but the people that go (or at least the older fans) are awesome. from my experience, there were too many "you lost the game" being shouted, too many hall bums, and the occasional smelly cosplayer. you also have to remember that it's usually 100+ degrees outside, so you need to drink plenty of water and wear appropriate cosplays, or your con experience will suck.
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
happysmeagol
Onions~♥

I'd second most of Butterfly's comments. Alexis Park was pretty crowded, but I still had a good time. I don't think they plan on using that venue again since a lot of people complained about how crowded it was. I've never had any problem with staff, I take a picture with Rich (the founder/manager guy) every couple years when the opportunity presents itself. He's always been really nice & interesting to talk too. Most of the guests are American, but last year we had Martin Billany (LittleKuriboh) from England...so that's a bit different. I thought that was pretty awesome ^______^
happysmeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Kitsurubami
Its full of stars!

It is a very good con the most fun I've had at a con in years, its worth going to, good people and a great place.
Nan Desu Kan- Greenwood Village, CO
Anime Nebraskon- Omaha, NE
Kitsurubami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
ScarletRhapsody
way past weird

Everyone here has some good insight on what the con is like, but nothing replaces checking out the convention for yourself.

Both the Alexis Park and Cashman Center locations are flawed. The Cashman Center is far from close by hotels and it isn't the safest area to be around at night. Alexis Park is too cramped and claustrophobic since everyone was dying to be indoors to stay away from the intense desert heat. I was at CES earlier this year and I checked out the Renaissance hotel where Anime Vegas 2008 was held and I thought it would be a better location for future AV's; safe area, close to the monorail, nice hotel, etc.

I've always liked the guest of honor line up. You get some pretty awesome American voice actors with the occasional Japanese guest.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Anime Vegas changed the date to sometime in the fall, like kinda close to Halloween-ish.
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
LeanaMee101
Day Dreamer

I was about to post a topic like this but I felt better to read this. Since I am moving back to Nevada, I am going to try to go to this con this yearand check it out. I may or may not cosplay but these comments make me wanna go.

It also helps to have friends who go
  • Anime Expo (Confirmed - Artist Alley)
  • K-Con (Confirmed)

2014 Cosplay Plans
  • Red (Pokemon) - 50% complete
  • Yukine (Noragami) - 10% complete
  • G:amma (Alphabat) - 90% complete
  • Onew (SHINee) - 10% complete
  • Dongwoo "Special Girl" (Infinite)
  • Jung Kook "No More Dream" (BTS) - 50% complete
2015 Cosplay Plans
  • High Priestess (Ragnarok Online)
LeanaMee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Daqua4ever

AnimeVegas is definitely a great convention. The crowd is very diverse, ranging from young kids, to teens, to adults, to oldies. Most of the people are very nice -I've heard many comments about the crowd being much friendlier than AX in LA. It's not the biggest con, but it's definitely NOT small. It also grows every year :]
Daqua4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Laced Candy

I've been to Anime Vegas twice (I'm from California) and I don't plan on going back. The crowd is mostly kids (age 10-17) and quite immature at that. My friends and I were glomped, tackled, kissed, and injured by people in this age group (and armor was damaged). The con itself is on the smaller side. Aside from all that, it is good for seeing your favorite English language voice actors... but the crowd is too immature.
Laced Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

All cons have immature kids. however, this con has a good ratio. But! some people find the teenagers cute, and as long as you know how to deal with them, you can make friends with them. I have a ''con child'' at Anime Vegas =D

Anime Expo 2014
Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Mizuki Kagamine

Despite some crappy visits that these people have had at anime vegas, not all of the cosplayers ranging from 10-17 are immature. I mean, me, being 16 years old and loving anime vegas, everytime I go in there, some people avoid me like the plague. It's because I'm small and look like a little kid who wants to glomp/break every person's costume. And honestly, it's VEGAS. That should be said enough that some of the cosplayers are rude, selfish and won't want you to take there pictures. In all honesty, if they hit you rudely like that, then you should hit back. Also, it works considering my patience with others is very short. But really, it's a great con and I've had alot of wonderful experiences.

Choices… You've always made your own choices, haven't you.
Mizuki Kagamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
Officer Boris
little furry fluffbucket

Whoo boy, I'm going to Anime Vegas and it doesn't sound too amazing from all these reviews. Ah well, it's Vegas, there's plenty to do outside of the convention.
Officer Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
missrelena
Just not enough time!

I love Anime Vegas! The guest list is always fabulous, the dances are fun, and the activities are usually well organized. You can tell the staff keeps trying to improve with each year. Yes, there are some trials. . . but there are at every con.

I can't wait to see everyone there!

Planned '13 costumes:
Vivaldi from Alice in the Country ofHearts,
Sanin from Hakuoki
Evil Queen from Sound Horizon Maruchen
Flemeth from Dragon Age II

Help! I'm drowning in fabric!

Member of "The No Life Kings" cosplay group!
missrelena is offline   Reply With Quote