Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
MissCookie
Iza-nii does my laundry

Terezi Pyrope - Homestuck

I have no full body photos yet but I mainly would like makeup critique more than anything.

The only thing about the cosplay that was edited were my eyes. In the first picture they are completely red because Terezi is blind and her eyes became that way. Second one is before the accident where she has normal troll eyes.

Reference pictures:

Thanks in advance!

Gijinka Meganium - Pokemon (100%)
Fem!Mephisto - Ao No Exorcist (100%)
Fem!Jake English - Homestuck (100%)

~~~~
My DeviantART
My FanFiction Net
My Facebook
My Tumblr
MissCookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
IvySparrow

Ummm.... Did you use body paint, or did you just grayscale your skin? Because to me, it looks like the latter, unless you painted up your nose and have random patches of grayscale that drift around your room... I can't really give any make up critique when the only makeup you're wearing is black lipstick and eyemakeup... That's just basic stuff...
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
Officer Boris
little furry fluffbucket

You're lying, I've seen the real unedited photo of your cosplay. You only had make up on your face then. These are the grayscaled photoshopped images. If you're going to ask for critique, at least be honest about what you want critiqued.
Officer Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
TheonenamedA

As a rule of thumb, if the picture is more photoshop than cosplay, then you're doing it wrong. Photoshop is only for enhancing your PHOTOS, not your costumes!

Seriously, you really want critique? Then actually put EFFORT into your costume, especially for something as easy as Homestuck.
TheonenamedA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

I do think that this would look eons better if you skipped the Photoshop alltogether. It's really obvious you Shooped this in the second photo, and I'm not talking about the eyes. I'm not saying that you shouldn't Photoshop your pictures, just that if you do, at least make it look smooth and don't try to fool people into believing that this is body paint.
Have you used Ben Nye paint? I've seen it work wonders for trolls.

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Vavo Natsumi
Classic Trainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCookie View Post

The only thing about the cosplay that was edited were my eyes.]

Thanks in advance!
If the only thing edited was the eyes, why does the wall suddenly turn grey to (what I assume is) it's normal color. And the chin. And those too darker spots on your shirt.

Please be honest about costumes.
Vavo Natsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
RuDarling

What are you talking about..? There are vast amounts of editing in the second picture:

Please, don't lie about your cosplays or the amount of editing you do/don't put into the photographs. It's very easy to see where you've touched up your photos to greyscale your skin. Photoshopping the eyes until you get decent contact lenses is acceptable, but otherwise, be fully honest when you post. Thank you.
RuDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

I'm echoing in with everybody else: This is more photoshop than makeup. And even assuming it isn't, it has a washed-out look to it. Trolls may be uniform grey in the artwork, but if you are giving yourself body paint in any color other than pure white, you have to actually add the natural shadows and highlights back into your skin for it to look less fake. There are tutorials for this made specifically for Homestuck troll cosplayers out there.

Your shirt symbol is very messy, like the stencil you used bled but you went with it anyway, the proportions on it seem a bit off, and it's the wrong color for Terezi.

Also, your hair may be the same length and color but there is absolutely none of the styling that you would need to have to pull off such a simple design there. Where's the flips at the back? Where's the jagged pieces around your face as well as the bangs? And more importantly, do you even have horns? They SHOULD be visible, at least the bases, in the angles of the photos you took...

This is pretty obviously a WIP, could use with some fixing just from what I see, and oh, please don't lie about photoshopping anything other than your face. And also please don't use so much of the blur tool on your skin; it looks unnatural, more so than grey skin. There are ways to soften lines or shadows you don't like without resorting to the blur tool. Try those first next time.