Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action) > Pirates of the Caribbean

Unread 10-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Jack Sparrow Cosplay- Where to start?

For those of you who have done Jack Sparrow cosplays, I am actually seriously thinking of doing a cosplay of him. My interest was sparked with the 4th movie. I just loved it so much and enjoyed the energy of the character of Jack Sparrow. He's really entertaining. I also feel like maybe given his facial hair, it might help me look closer to Depp maybe? lol

Anyways I would love to start a cosplay of him and MAYBE get something decently presentable by Anime NEXT in June. Is this A. Possible and B. Where should I start? I am so overwhelmed with the amount of detail on his costume. I thought Sweeney was easy enough, and it turned out to be a challenge for me, so I think Jack Sparrow is basically impossible. But I am willing to try and I need something to get me away from Sweeney Todd. I've been Sweeney for far far too long. I need to try something new.

I've been holding off on this because I have been thinking that I would never be able to do a decent Jack Sparrow cosplay and I wouldn't be able to pull it off (since to me, it seems like a cosplay that basically requires you to be male, caucasian, and tall), but I've kinda given up on that. I'm just gonna try it and see what happens.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account

Last edited by SweeneyTodd : 10-03-2011 at 07:59 PM.
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Callesto
C'MON SON

The best place to start on a highly detailed costume is a breakdown of each part - Luckily there are some amazing sites that have already done it for you for Jack's costume!
One of the best ones I've found is the costuming wiki for him here: link. It's what I used when making his frock coat, it has so much information for his costume!
On the right hand side of the page lists all of his costume parts and props and on each of those pages talks about what fabric was used and where you can find it yourself! It makes the costume so much easier to approach! (:

D23 Expo 2013: Merida, Disneyland dress w/ cape (Brave); Merida, 2D Version (Brave); Tinkerbell

Callesto is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
SweeneyTodd

Oh awesome! Thanks for that. That will help a lot.
I made something like that for Sweeneys costume lol

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 10-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
Akali
Heart of the sword

I cosplayed him. (Or the female version. Jackeline Sparrow.) It was SO fun. I think you should go for it! I made everything myself and it was one of the most fun costumes I've ever made. I didn't bother to dread my extensions, though. x)

Me as Jack Sparrow:

Cosplay:
Kenshin Himura - Rurouni Kenshin. 100%
Angewomon - Digimon. 100%
Pichu - Pokèmon. 100%
The Witch - Left 4 Dead. 100%
Stuart "2-D" Tusspot - Gorillaz. 100%
Real Noodle - Gorillaz. 100%
Keiichi Maebara - Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. 100%
Jack Sparrow - Pirates of the Carribean. 100%
Stocking - Panty and Stocking. 20 %
Akali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
SweeneyTodd

Oh wow, thats awesome! You made everything yourself? That's impressive xD I will definitely try to get this done. I need another cosplay to do lol

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 10-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Akali
Heart of the sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
Oh wow, thats awesome! You made everything yourself? That's impressive xD I will definitely try to get this done. I need another cosplay to do lol
Yup. Made everything myself from shoes to hat. It's hard work, but it's real fun. I'll guarantee you that. Thank you very much, by the way!

Cosplay:
Kenshin Himura - Rurouni Kenshin. 100%
Angewomon - Digimon. 100%
Pichu - Pokèmon. 100%
The Witch - Left 4 Dead. 100%
Stuart "2-D" Tusspot - Gorillaz. 100%
Real Noodle - Gorillaz. 100%
Keiichi Maebara - Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. 100%
Jack Sparrow - Pirates of the Carribean. 100%
Stocking - Panty and Stocking. 20 %
Akali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Purified Ace
Ace Pendragon

One of the beauties of Captain Jack, is the fact that you never know what can be put into it, or where you'll find it.

My costume came from years of keeping eyes open and finding different aspects, kinda at random. Mine's not exactly movie accurate anymore, though.

If you want 100% movie accurate, your first step, of course, is to decide which movie you want to do and go from there. Each movie they added something new to the mix, so just keep an eye out.

Also, trinkets and accessories. From the coins in his hair to the rings on his fingers, Jack loves stuff. Compass, jar of dirt, sword, big coin, cane, you name it, Jack can use it to some extent. It's the beauty of Captain Jack.

Hope I'm helping. Oh, and have fun.
Purified Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
SweeneyTodd

I guess that's true. And Sometimes I also think that since there are so many details, as long as I have the main accessories then I should be ok (i.e I don't need to get super picky on the really small details, ex: the exact pattern on the buttons of his vest). Although it would be great to have an exact Jack Sparrow cosplay

I think I will start with the 1st movie since he has the least amount of items in that film, so it will be a bit easier to start.
Thanks for the help!

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Purified Ace
Ace Pendragon

Time to revive an old thread.
How's this coming for you?
I happen to have found something that may help you a lot. It's helping me, that's for sure.
http://jacksparrowcostuming.wikispaces.com/
Unread 06-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
SweeneyTodd

It's coming along pretty well. I'm just having trouble finding the money to gather the parts for this costume

I do have a plan for how I am doing this though, which is good and I no longer feel as lost as I used to.
I am going with OST version of Jack. And for Otakon, I plan on having the majority of the costume done. I will have everything for OST except for the vest. For now I am going to use a CostumeBase vest as a placeholder and then update the vest (and possibly my wig) for NYCC in the fall. I plan on eventually getting my OST vest from ACME.

I have been on that costuming wiki so many times. lol I love that page. It helps A LOT and I got a lot of my reference pics from there

I am also part of TheBrethrenCourt.net and Keeptothecode, as well as being connected to members of the Sparrow community through Facebook. So I am in a much better place with this costume than I was when I first created this thread.
Thanks for checking up on me

Which version of Jack are you planning on doing?

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
Purified Ace
Ace Pendragon

I'm doing my own Jack, really. It's going to stick pretty close to CotBP, but it'll have a few little customizations to it.

It's good to hear you're not as lost as you once were! All it really takes is just making yourself do it, right?
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
SweeneyTodd

Oh yea, I figured that out after I looked through your gallery again. Definitely looking like COTBP Jack. xD

Thanks!
It does. Definitely. :P All I have left now to figure out is the boots and the wig
I still have a ton of accessories to buy, but I know where I am going to buy them, so I am quite happy with my progress xD Now it's basically just all a matter of money
I have chosen that for my first version of the costume, I am just gonna try to get everything to look presentable and decently accurate, and work on fine-tuning the accuracy as time passes (make updates), the same way I did for Sweeney

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Purified Ace
Ace Pendragon

That's really the best way to go about it. Great costumes take time to tweak right.

Good luck, mate!
Unread 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
SweeneyTodd

So I guess I should just post in here to show my progress.
I was aiming for screen accuracy and for OST...but things kinda got messed up and I ran out of time/money so my cosplay ended up being a weird mix of everything
My sash is for COTBP (and not even all that accurate for that either), and my Anna Maria belt and wrist wrap are for OST (extra length on Anna Maria belt is too long, probably should have doubled that over, but didn't think of that when I was taking the pic :P ). The rest of me is more like DMC/AWE. I am also missing my mermaid fertility charm, chicken foot, and baldric, which I am waiting for it to come in the mail (same with boots that I need to modify). My compass still needs to be modded, and sash, shirt, and trophy lace needs to be weathered. Oh and my pants.... are nowhere near SA, but they work for now I guess.
There are probably other inaccuracies that I just don't see right now because I am pretty inexperienced with this...but at least it gets the point across. Once I add my wig (which I'm still working on) and the beard and boots, I should look pretty Jack-like
[IMG]

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
katx
Azu-nyan~

I did a crossplay of it and... it's somewhat recognizable. Wanted to do the coat, but it's a lot of work >< although I found someone online who specializes in jack sparrow coat commissions. I didn't go for the whole costume because I can't afford it.

You're doing great so far! Don't worry, you don't really have to be caucasian... just put some brown makeup on and you'll be fine
katx is offline   Reply With Quote