Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Youmacon

Unread 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Youmacon 2012 and MK Sub-Zero

Ok, so I'm really thinking about attending Youmacon this year, which would be my first convention EVER!! And with that I'm considering going as Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat, because I like that character. However I want to ask whether or not Sub-Zero will fit with Youmacon?

Also I'm low on funds so I'll probably need to make the costume by hand (without a sewing machine), but I have NO idea how to make it. I haven't been able to find any useful step-by-step tutorials online to show me to make this costume from scratch.

I could really, REALLY use some advice and suggestions on how to make this Sub-Zero costume and how to make it as true to the games (realistic) as possible.

Please help!
wisetaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
ParanoidScream
Paranoid Scream

Sub-Zero will fit in, trust me. Last year there was an EPIC Scorpion there. I'm not sure how you'd go about making it though...
ParanoidScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidScream View Post
Sub-Zero will fit in, trust me. Last year there was an EPIC Scorpion there. I'm not sure how you'd go about making it though...
Thanks Paranoid! I wanted to make because I'll already be feeling way out of my comfort zone, so it helps to know that the costume will at least fit in.

Do you happen to know if any of the cosplayers will be hanging out at all during or after the convention? Or is it mostly just everyone flying on their own...so-to-speak?
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
ParanoidScream
Paranoid Scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisetaner View Post
Thanks Paranoid! I wanted to make because I'll already be feeling way out of my comfort zone, so it helps to know that the costume will at least fit in.

Do you happen to know if any of the cosplayers will be hanging out at all during or after the convention? Or is it mostly just everyone flying on their own...so-to-speak?
Well some people tend to go in groups, myself I'm going with my brother and a couple friends. We did meet someone else though, he was flying solo. So it's really up to you, you can go alone or with a group, but you'll always meet others. The Scorpion was alone as year from what I recall.

So it all depends.
Unread 07-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Ok, this may sound kind of silly, but how should go about finding a group of people to attend the con with? I'm guessing it would be through this site as I don't currently know anyone around me interested in this.

Should I just create a new thread, asking that question? Or is there an easier way?

I think I would just have a lot more fun and be a lot more at ease if I were meeting up and hanging out with other cosplayers while at the convention. Mostly because it's my first convention and I'm a wee bit nervous about dressing up and all.

Also, is it better to get a locker while at the convention and change into costume there? Or should I put most of the costume on in my dorm and then drive there? Would do most cosplayers do?

Quote:
Well some people tend to go in groups, myself I'm going with my brother and a couple friends. We did meet someone else though, he was flying solo. So it's really up to you, you can go alone or with a group, but you'll always meet others. The Scorpion was alone as year from what I recall.

So it all depends.
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
UchinaaSoba

Here's a mask tutorial (even though it's for Scorpion, it's the same concept).

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=125268

I say look around on google for tutorials, that's how I end up finding them.

A lot of the time at cons I'll go with friends, then end up following other people I meet. XD It's fun going by yourself or with others, but since it's your first con, maybe go with someone or meet up with them? It'll be my first time at Youma. Maybe I'll see you there! I'll be going as Tabby from .hack//roots and Celty from Durarara.

Last edited by UchinaaSoba : 07-15-2012 at 01:23 AM.
UchinaaSoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
ParanoidScream
Paranoid Scream

Quote:
Ok, this may sound kind of silly, but how should go about finding a group of people to attend the con with? I'm guessing it would be through this site as I don't currently know anyone around me interested in this.

Should I just create a new thread, asking that question? Or is there an easier way?

I think I would just have a lot more fun and be a lot more at ease if I were meeting up and hanging out with other cosplayers while at the convention. Mostly because it's my first convention and I'm a wee bit nervous about dressing up and all.

Also, is it better to get a locker while at the convention and change into costume there? Or should I put most of the costume on in my dorm and then drive there? Would do most cosplayers do?
Well if you want, if you see my name on my badge (ParanoidScream) say hi =). You could post a thread if you want on a meet up or something. My group and I are doing the "over the border drive" ( We're Canadian :P) so we're likely dressing up before we go haha.
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
ParanoidScream
Paranoid Scream

Quote:
Well if you want, if you see my name on my badge (ParanoidScream) say hi =). You could post a thread if you want on a meet up or something. My group and I are doing the "over the border drive" ( We're Canadian :P) so we're likely dressing up before we go haha.
Also forgot to say, I'm being Sakura Kinamoto (Cardcaptor Sakura) first day, Mio Amakura (Fatal Frame 2) second day and third day I'm still iffy about EGL or an OC chara
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

I would like to say EUREKA!!! I found a pretty cool Sub-Zero costume tutorial...well sort of a tutorial. It's more like a partial tutorial, but at least it's something. I now know the material's I will need to put the costume together...fortunately the convention is three and half months away. As it will take about that to assemble the costume.

Oh and thank you UchinaaSoba and Paranoid, I will certainly keep my eyes open for you and your nametags. I suppose if you guys are putting your usernames on nametags, instead of your actual names...I suppose I will do the same.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.strasko
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
ParanoidScream
Paranoid Scream

Quote:
I would like to say EUREKA!!! I found a pretty cool Sub-Zero costume tutorial...well sort of a tutorial. It's more like a partial tutorial, but at least it's something. I now know the material's I will need to put the costume together...fortunately the convention is three and half months away. As it will take about that to assemble the costume.

Oh and thank you UchinaaSoba and Paranoid, I will certainly keep my eyes open for you and your nametags. I suppose if you guys are putting your usernames on nametags, instead of your actual names...I suppose I will do the same.
No problem =)