Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
sukimba
Pokemon Master

Pattern help for full face mask

Hello all, I need some help with drafting(or even just finding online) a pattern for a full face mask. Think spiderman's mask. But it needs to be made out of a woven(non-stretch) fabric that I will close in the back and be covered by a wig. Here's a picture so you know what I'm going for: http://th00.deviantart.net/fs40/PRE/..._jeftoon01.jpg

I would prefer to have a separate mask from the rest of the costume so it'll be easier to put on/take off, and I can just hide the break with the choker. Anyway, anything would help. But I've already looked into those zentai suits and can't find what I need.
Facebook
2013 Cosplay
Raven(Teen Titans)-- Steampunk Flame Princess(Adventure Time)-- Twisted Cinderella(Disney's Cinderella)-- Sailor Star Maker(Sailor Moon)-- Aya(GLtAS)-- Tooth(Rise of the Guardians)-- Candlehead(Sugar Rush)
2013 Conventions
ALA -- AOD-- Fanime -- Anime Expo -- SDCC -- Sac Anime Summer
sukimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

I'd start by draping a mock-up on a wig head (preferably as close to your head size as possible), and making a couple test runs. I've made a few face masks out of spandex, and it's hard to get them to fit right even with the forgiveness of stretch, so you may want to think about making the back half of the head and the inside of the mouth in stretch fabric. That'll also give you the added benefit of being able to move your head and face.

Personally, I'd use seams down the centre of the face, across and through the mouth (like the picture), and right along the jaw line. I'd also make the neck separate to try and get as close of a fit under the chin as possible. Also, you're going to want to try it on a couple of times to make sure it fits well.
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
sukimba
Pokemon Master

Thank you! For some reason it didn't occur to me to use a wig head! That will make things much easier. lol
Facebook
2013 Cosplay
Raven(Teen Titans)-- Steampunk Flame Princess(Adventure Time)-- Twisted Cinderella(Disney's Cinderella)-- Sailor Star Maker(Sailor Moon)-- Aya(GLtAS)-- Tooth(Rise of the Guardians)-- Candlehead(Sugar Rush)
2013 Conventions
ALA -- AOD-- Fanime -- Anime Expo -- SDCC -- Sac Anime Summer
sukimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

No problem! I know I tried pinning spandex around my own head at least once... >.> It's just not a good idea. The wig head worked much better.
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Libis

What if you just buy a root suit, pull apart the seams, and make a pattern based on it?

http://www.rootsuit.com/
http://www.superfansuits.com/?gclid=...FWhgTAod_HzqNA

Do remember to make sure that the spandex in the root suit matches the spandex you use, though. I've made terrible mistakes with stretch in the past.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote