Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I support people wanting to have a role in government.

I don't support them tipping over vans.

Until occupy wallstreet kids are tipping over vans, good for them.

(unfortunately "getting out and doing something" beyond yelling and making a fuss when it comes to politics is generally impossible for those who aren't wealthy and well-connected. You get one vote per election... and beyond that -- you have your phone, the mail system, the internet and your physical presence to work with. Sometimes being the masses involves being, quite literally, the angry mob. The mob's job is to attract the media and make politicians nervous about the popular consequences of their decisions... and, if the situation gets bad enough, to toss the government out by force.)

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 10-12-2011 at 09:48 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Shifty Llama
llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmodic View Post
I don't like reaching the age of having to understand politics and government... And America...
IM MOVING TO CANADA WHERE THERE'S FREE HEALTHCARE. AND ANIME NORTH. IN FOUR YEARS WHEN IM OF LEGAL AGE TO LEAVE MY PARENTS.
YEAH.
but I honestly don't understand what the Occupy Movement is. Is it about the big gap between rich and average-paid people? (because that gap pisses me off)
Come now Did you here nothing of the issues surrunding the G20 and G8 summits which took place in Toronto, they built huge freaking walls around toronto and there are still nging investgations regarding police actions in regards to protestors. Everywhere is going to have its political problems. Also Our healthcare is only free if yu have a valid health card...which you need to be a citizen to get. Anime noth im not gonna correct you on, its pretty freaking sweet, also drinking happens younger but honestly we are just as whack too.
Shifty Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Llama View Post
Come now Did you here nothing of the issues surrunding the G20 and G8 summits which took place in Toronto, they built huge freaking walls around toronto and there are still nging investgations regarding police actions in regards to protestors. Everywhere is going to have its political problems. Also Our healthcare is only free if yu have a valid health card...which you need to be a citizen to get. Anime noth im not gonna correct you on, its pretty freaking sweet, also drinking happens younger but honestly we are just as whack too.
Our health care is not *free*... we pay for it through our taxes. It is universal health care, in which every citizen has access to it, no matter how little taxes they actually pay. It's just a giant pot so that its equal for everyone - rich or poor.

Then again if you are rich you could just go off to a private clinic, but you'll still be paying taxes to cover everyone else.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I don't like reaching the age of having to understand politics and government... And America...
IM MOVING TO CANADA WHERE THERE'S FREE HEALTHCARE. AND ANIME NORTH. IN FOUR YEARS WHEN IM OF LEGAL AGE TO LEAVE MY PARENTS.
YEAH.
but I honestly don't understand what the Occupy Movement is. Is it about the big gap between rich and average-paid people? (because that gap pisses me off)
With an attitude like this, I'll pay for your plane ticket.

As for Occupy Wall Street, it's already been compromised by the same old partisan politics. It was swallowed by the Left from day one, despite what its "organizers" would have you believe. Nothing will change, and this entire thing will not matter two years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #20
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
YEAH.

You are aware that there will still be politics and government in Canada? You don't *have* to understand politics and government, you can choose to remain ignorant and angry.

Or you can educate yourself, vote, write letters to your various representatives, sign petitions, join protests and try to change and improve the system that has you so angry.

Or you can relocate to a foreign country. For an Anime Convention.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Thank you o' merciful Atlantic ocean for being so big.
Ooh-rah
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #22
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
You are aware that there will still be politics and government in Canada? You don't *have* to understand politics and government, you can choose to remain ignorant and angry.

Or you can educate yourself, vote, write letters to your various representatives, sign petitions, join protests and try to change and improve the system that has you so angry.

Or you can relocate to a foreign country. For an Anime Convention.
Or you can not give a shit about any of that, shrugging and going "People are crazy, man."

How politics equal education or knowledge is still something I can't quite wrap my head around.

When hockey season rolls around, people around me and people on my FB feed all root for their favorite teams, talk about the "best players" and what they accomplished, when the season ends (Or that team gets ousted, which is often the case with the Canadiens ), everything gets dreadfully quiet and you don't hear as much about it anymore apart from a vague sense of approval and disapproval from all involved parties.

When election time rolls around, people around me and people on my FB feed all root for their favorite party, talk about the "best representatives" and what they propose/endeavor. When the election ends, things get dreadfully quiet and you don't hear as much about it anymore apart from the vague sense of approval and disapproval from all involved parties.

If you personally think politics are all important and encompassing, fine. I don't see any worth to them for the most part --- and people who follow politics tend to infuriate me as much as local hockey fans.

Because I live here, I should root for the local hockey team!
Because I live here, I should follow and vote a party, especially the one you want!

Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
With an attitude like this, I'll pay for your plane ticket.
Please don't.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #24
Imp.print

I believe it can be summed up by saying Government is now just middle management for big business. Their interests and profits are put ahead of the People, the 99%
Imp.print is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #25
Access

I never thought much of it, I do get a kick out of how other countries like the PRC were commenting in the news that it's signs of problems of 'problems at home (or problems over there)' when protests like these crop up.

We don't have a perfect record but we are at least in general, more than decent about tolerating protests. As much as is practical (nonviolent, etc.) When protests happen in these same countries (ie. 'Jasmine Revolution'), no matter how non-violent or simply expressive, it is over-reaction, paranoia, and brutality.

We do know that the wealth gap widened over the years, relatively speaking the rich are getting richer, poor are getting poorer. And a lot of people are out of work. From what I see and hear, it seems more like a gathering than a protest. People are going to be around others their age, to meet 'cool' people, to be around attractive members of the opposite sex, for free food, and so on. Is the message the primary thing, or is it secondary to that? Though honestly, either way is okay, as long as it's nonviolent there's really not a whole lot wrong with it.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #26
Shifty Llama
llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Our health care is not *free*... we pay for it through our taxes. It is universal health care, in which every citizen has access to it, no matter how little taxes they actually pay. It's just a giant pot so that its equal for everyone - rich or poor.

Then again if you are rich you could just go off to a private clinic, but you'll still be paying taxes to cover everyone else.
Oh I am well aware of the fact that it is not free, believe you me! I just didnt bother going into that and said as a non citizen she isnt entitled to it.
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #27
Convulsive
My name is Kan

To everyone who quoted my post, I was joking about the "I'm going to Canada" ordeal. I was kind of hoping the all-caps and 'yeah' at the end would convey sarcasm, but I guess not. I'm well aware that there's government everywhere else and America is pretty well-governed in comparison. I'm not THAT ignorant of a fourteen year old.

We actually talked about the Occupy Wallstreet movement in class today, and I still don't quite understand it. I guess
All I can do is sit and watch in confusion.

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
We actually talked about the Occupy Wallstreet movement in class today, and I still don't quite understand it.
It's fine --- I'm twice your age and still baffled why people do the things they do, in blatant ignorance to what it can provoke (Or cannot provoke, such as is the case here).
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #29
Shifty Llama
llama

Quote:
To everyone who quoted my post, I was joking about the "I'm going to Canada" ordeal. I was kind of hoping the all-caps and 'yeah' at the end would convey sarcasm, but I guess not. I'm well aware that there's government everywhere else and America is pretty well-governed in comparison. I'm not THAT ignorant of a fourteen year old.

We actually talked about the Occupy Wallstreet movement in class today, and I still don't quite understand it. I guess
All I can do is sit and watch in confusion.
Hey now wasnt hating on you, simply pointing out that despite our "seemingly free" healthcare we have the same problems here, really you should look into what went on in the summer 0f 2010 in regards to the G20/g8 there are still ongoing investigations. I get that you were making a joke and i think i responded the way I did do mock my own country for its way of dealing with protests etc...

truth be told, as far as I can tell we just pretend to be the happiest place on earth to baffle the americans...
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #30
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
It's fine --- I'm twice your age and still baffled why people do the things they do, in blatant ignorance to what it can provoke (Or cannot provoke, such as is the case here).
Well in your defense, you are a robot.

@Spazmodic: Don't feel too bad about not understanding Occupy Wall Street. Many protesting there don't understand what they're doing either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...

Last edited by sam vimes : 10-12-2011 at 08:37 PM.
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote