Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #61
pinoycosplay
Fighting VG Specialist
 
pinoycosplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG181 View Post
Nope!

In 1998, student loans were no longer eligible for dismissal as part of a series of bankruptcy law changes. In 2005, privately funded student loans joined the ranks of loans with permanence.

So.. nope. But community college is really freaking cheap. I don't see why people need to pay $40k/yr for remedial math and english their first two years, when they could pay like $1500.
Agreed, I was put through school by my company, but that was just before the reccession. Now a days tuition reimbursement is becoming a rarity, and only with good jobs.

Vocational schools are the best bet these days, affordable, quick to finish (relatively)) and you make actually be able to get a job you trained for, compare to the 4 year degree.
pinoycosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #62
JMG181
Registered User
 
JMG181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
Agreed, I was put through school by my company, but that was just before the reccession. Now a days tuition reimbursement is becoming a rarity, and only with good jobs.

Vocational schools are the best bet these days, affordable, quick to finish (relatively)) and you make actually be able to get a job you trained for, compare to the 4 year degree.
I'm a county college dropout. Because I got a full time offer after one semester, though my fiance with an associates and a bachelors degree makes.... about 1/3 what I do. Its kind of irritating, actually. The firm I work for would provide reimbursement, but I only use it for new certifications. There is no degree directly applicable to my field.

VoTech (hs level) could use some major improvement.
JMG181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #63
TheMadHathor
Registered User
 
TheMadHathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
Vocational schools are the best bet these days, affordable, quick to finish (relatively)) and you make actually be able to get a job you trained for, compare to the 4 year degree.
Boy can I relate. I sold my soul to a business school and got a Bachelor's in Finance, only to be told that what I studied and really wanted to do actually requires MBA level skills. So not only am I unemployed, I need to go back and get a CPA certification just to find an entry level position in my field.
TheMadHathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #64
pinoycosplay
Fighting VG Specialist
 
pinoycosplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHathor View Post
Boy can I relate. I sold my soul to a business school and got a Bachelor's in Finance, only to be told that what I studied and really wanted to do actually requires MBA level skills. So not only am I unemployed, I need to go back and get a CPA certification just to find an entry level position in my field.
Thats exactly what my husband is doing, getting a cpa after already getting an mba, because mba's are almost worthless these days unless you know the hiring manager. He says his accounting courses are loaded with MBA's working retail trying to hurry up and go into accounting.

The moral of the story is... don't get outsourced.
pinoycosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #65
NeonBunnyGirl
I fancy Poop.
 
NeonBunnyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 893
My fiance went to a 4 year university and received a masters in some sort of web design (not sure exactly, because i know next to nothing about comps..) and he now has over $50k with the interest constantly rising to pay back to student loans.. He's SUPPOSE to be paying about $500 a month, about a 1/3 of that is just interest. Last year he had to send in a request to hold off on paying student loans because he wasn't making enough to pay them and survive, they approved the set back but then jacked up the interest. He really will be paying his student loans the rest of his life unless he gets a better paying job. Of course all of this happened because his parents forced him to go to a university instead of a community college.

If your income is really close to the amount of student loans you owe, you can hold off on paying your student loans WITHOUT adding interest, though they only give you a 6ish months maybe.. Or at least that's how my fiance's student loan company works. He had to do that after he was laid off from his old job.
NeonBunnyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #66
pinoycosplay
Fighting VG Specialist
 
pinoycosplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
Its all just part of the wonderful "personal responsibility" dogma that those in charge want to persuade the public into believing. "have loans?, well you took them out" says the personal responsiblity crowd.

Glen Beck recently said that exact phrase, but also stupidly added "they could have gone to the library and read books for free" LOL i would love to see a person in an interview who is asked about their education experience say "no i didn't attend college, but i read some books on the subject"

These people even go so far as to quote the bible and the gospels of Jesus to advocate their own twisted version of "personal responsibility"
pinoycosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #67
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG181 View Post
I also don't understand half the complaints of these so-called 99%-ers who are involved. I see people my age bitching about not being able to afford their "tiny 1 bedroom apartment". Here's a clue dumbass, move out, get a roommate! I feel sorry for some postings on there, because they have real issues - 50's and 60's, lost the job they've had for 30 years due to cutbacks, their 401k plummeted to being near completely worthless, and they couldn't retire if they tried. Then I see intermixed a 22 year old complaining that they can't make payments on their brand new car?!? I have a house, I'm getting married, and I've never owned a new car. Get over it. Its a car, ffs. Sell it, buy used. Ugh.

What I don't get is what they think they are doing with these protests.
This x10.
If you think its "impossible" to make a living nowadays? Look at how high people's standards are now. A house in the 50's was a two-bedroom bungalow for a family of five or six. Now? A 2000-square-foot mcmansion for your two kids. A small sedan was the norm in the past? Now we have everyone thinking they need giant SUVs. Enough people got so caught up in keeping up with the Joneses, that they've now run themselves into the dirt, and it's all their damn fault.

We rent, and have stayed in the same spot for 15 years. Our rent is CHEAP compared to an average mortgage. Our car and motorcycle is from 1981. We dont have a 50" widescreen tv. And guess what? We're not in debt. Hell, we're not even close to broke. While I don't think absolutely nobody deserves a decent living, I don't have much sympathy for people who already have grossly overinflated salaries who spend 30 hours a week punching shit into a computer complaining they're not getting enough. My Mom's a self-employed contractor who routinely works 60-hour weeks- and not because she HAS to, but because she insts on doing a flawless job and staying on site until it's done- and is singlehandedly paying off her mortgage and loans. It's not impossible in the least. If anything, I think most people have just gotten lazier and greedier, thinking that nobody should EVER have to work for their living anymore and not getting a raise for a year is reason to strike.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #68
The_CFR
Cosplayer/Furry
 
The_CFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 524
@Shinobi: While what you say about your mom is impressive and she sounds like a hard worker, I think a lot of people are missing one glaring issue here.

It's not that people are greedier and lazier. Sure there are still a ton of wasteful, lazy teenagers and college students, there are just as many hard workers out there. It's the worthlessness of the bachelors degree that is causing issues. Even as a chemistry major, I know I have to get my doctorate because there are no jobs for even masters level chemistry degrees anymore. It's tragic when you are over qualified for several jobs and far too under-qualified for others. Companies are not making enough jobs for college graduates, causing those who took on loans unable to pay them back.

The people out there aren't fighting because they want to get a cushy desk job, it's the fact that there are no jobs out there for anyone right now. I've had friends in California and Philadelphia apply to 30+ jobs and not get a single consideration. As a result of people not making money, they're not spending money either. Since the USA was founded on raw, unbridled capitalism, the economy is collapsing. The companies don't make money, they downsize jobs leaving less people with expendable income and the vicious cycle repeats.

I don't understand why people insist on taking these protests so personally, they really don't hurt anyone. Yeah, I agree the whole hippie thing died in the 60's and the protesters really need to revamp their approach but why isn't anyone else trying to fight to fix the economy?
__________________
My flickr account! Look here for con pictures and some of my photography. http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_cfr/

Current cosplays!
Lucario (40% complete) - Otakon
Jubei (10% Complete) - Otakon
The_CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #69
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,400
I've been unemployed for six months, here, and I've gotten creative for making my money. Mom always needs a menial grunt worker for her jobs, and I love to make things (and then sell on etsy, craft fairs, etc.) and am not afraid to work random, odd jobs. Jobs are shit, I'm not denying that. 'm not even applying for SKILLED jobs that require postsecondary education in my case. But too few people are also thinking outside the box for ways to make their money or ways to stretch it further. (Heck, that's HOW my Mom started her business; she's always been good at painting and woodshop, and when her abusive second husband finally got divorced from her, she had to make her ends meet because he sure as hell wouldn't pay anything to her. So she started her own painting and home maintenance business while living at a friend's house, and several months later was able to get started on buying a house of her own.)
In terms of student loans being ridonkulous, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the "protests", just people trying to capitaslize on teenagers not actually knowing what they want to do yet. I got my college diploma in musicand multimedia (no student loan, my parents saved up for plenty of years to pay for it all) and then figured out that there was no way in hell I either wanted a job in that field OR could ever make a living in it. Now I'm looking for tailoring apprenticeships- learning a skilled trade that also pays you as you go- or silversmithing courses I can take locally.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 10-19-2011 at 12:41 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #70
The_CFR
Cosplayer/Furry
 
The_CFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 524
@Shinobi: Even then, your mom is very fortunate that her business has been taking off. My dad is a business owner as well as a result of being laid off and we're extremely glad that it has been working out. Owning a business typically is extremely risky given the large upfront costs associated with starting the operations.
__________________
My flickr account! Look here for con pictures and some of my photography. http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_cfr/

Current cosplays!
Lucario (40% complete) - Otakon
Jubei (10% Complete) - Otakon
The_CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #71
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,400
I certainly know. She's currently around 48,000 in debt (2 business loans, nearing the end of her vehicle payments, and her visa credit), but after several years is now paying large chunks off. (And then there's still her mortgage, she's in year 8 of 25, but DAYUM she has made the house fantastic from when she first bought it...)
Also, I'm not American, I'm Canadian. Dunno how much of a difference it makes in most circumstances, but I wouldn't say banks/lending here is any better than Stateside.

Now, one thing here related to student loans/tuition that does piss me off; the government here matches payments made into an RESP (Registered educational savings plan) up to 500 bucks... but that means people who HAVE money to put away for it get more, while those too poor to afford any can't get anything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #72
The_CFR
Cosplayer/Furry
 
The_CFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 524
@Shinobi: Uh, I'm not sure the situation up there but I am pretty sure you guys aren't as bad off as we are in certain regards. Also, national healthcare is a spectacular thing for you guys. I mean, not a day goes by that many of my friends either have to worry about hospital bills or just skip treatment entirely because they can't afford it. So someone in the US in a comparable situation to you guys is typically worse off because they lack proper health care.
__________________
My flickr account! Look here for con pictures and some of my photography. http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_cfr/

Current cosplays!
Lucario (40% complete) - Otakon
Jubei (10% Complete) - Otakon
The_CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #73
a600hz
theoretical physicist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 357
I have mixed opinions about the whole thing. I've been seeing a lot of what's going on and there are certain ways to get things done and the way that I've been seeing the protesters do is out of question.

For instance. The protesters who got arrested for going to a bank and trying to close their accounts. You do not do that. What you're supposed to do is open a bank somewhere that you like and transfer your money from the bank you dislike and basically tell them "I don't want to do business with you, please close my account". That's it. Not Zerg Rush a bank in person, protest and demand your accounts to be closed. The cops will be involved and you should expect to be arrested.

Also the whole "I am 99%" in my opinion is just a stereotype. The whole point is to get rid of corporate greed but when people say the "1%", they are implying all the rich people. Why not be more specific because out of those "1%" maybe .1% or .5% is corrupt.

I've said this before and I stand by it. No matter what, companies will never put people before profit. The only thing you can do is take your business else were and that's it.
a600hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:10 AM   #74
The_CFR
Cosplayer/Furry
 
The_CFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 524
@a600hz: Solid, man. I can definitely agree with that. Like I said, the whole hippy movement is mostly a joke now. What the occupy wall street people should be doing is making themselves respectable and knowledgeable on the subject. The whole "fight the power" approach should be replaced by a well-structured, well-informed approach.
__________________
My flickr account! Look here for con pictures and some of my photography. http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_cfr/

Current cosplays!
Lucario (40% complete) - Otakon
Jubei (10% Complete) - Otakon
The_CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:59 AM   #75
Access
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_CFR View Post
@a600hz: Solid, man. I can definitely agree with that. Like I said, the whole hippy movement is mostly a joke now. What the occupy wall street people should be doing is making themselves respectable and knowledgeable on the subject. The whole "fight the power" approach should be replaced by a well-structured, well-informed approach.
But there are no easy answers. And many people would rather live in that world where one or a few simple solutions would solve all their problems and make their lives and everything fine again.

Some movements don't exist for a for a specific reason, they just exist to grow as a movement.

As for jobs, remember it's 90% personal networking, determination, etc. and only 10% qualifications. A lot of things in life are like this. When you go to College, you should be looking for networking opportunities and jobs from day one.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.