Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #1
kellybobelly76

No Pockets

What do you guys normally do when your cosplay doesn't have pockets or doesn't carry a backpack? My whole life, I've constricted myself to cosplays that have backpacks to carry my stuff, but since I really wanted to do something else, I don't know how to go about this situation.
kellybobelly76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Literally or figuratively?

Sometimes, you do end up with a costume where, after doing all the research and planning, you realize you just can't physically install pockets anywhere into the costume. Traditional Japanese clothing comes to mind - hakama and kimono sets, for example - but do you think that for centuries the Japanese just walked around with their stuff in their hands or only ever carried bags? Even they had workarounds.

If no matter how hard I try I just can't find a place in the costume to install a pocket - in a jacket lining, slit into the side seam and sewn so it's invisible, added onto pants since there's going to be parts of the costume hiding that spot from view - I settle for carrying a bag. It doesn't have to be a matching bag, although that's a fun extra mile to go. There is absolutely nothing wrong with carrying your usual purse or bag with a costume and setting it down when someone asks for a photo. There is absolutely no reason to restrict yourself to a costume that comes with its own bag.

So, first step, see if there's a place you can put pockets even though it doesn't look like there's pockets in the reference. Second step, throw up your hands and carry a bag. As for those historical workarounds? In the most ancient of days, in many cultures, the fashionable had free-floating pockets that they wore via strap or tie-in underneath their clothing. Those giant panniers on French gowns? Had hidden pouches inside the pannier accessed through slits in the gown. Instead of carrying a bag in hand or over shoulder, the "bag" was no more than a rectangle of fabric, folded and sewn into what we would now call a pocket, and tied around the waist with just a strip of ribbon. All the layers of clothing on top would hide it.

There are lots of workarounds, but at the very least, stop thinking of cosplay as "must have all items inclusive." You can carry any old bag you want, it doesn't have to go with the cosplay or even match the fandom. Some people do that and it's cute, but you don't HAVE to. There is no fandom police to go around giving you a ticket for carrying a Star Wars backpack with your Madoka costume.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
MidoriUma

Many options... Use the bag check facilities at a venue if they're available. Or a locker. Or a hotel room. or your car.

If none of those are practical or available, just carry a small bag with your essentials (ideally nothing too valuable or irreplaceable) and drop it somewhere in your field of vision but just outside the camera's field of view for any photos.

There's also undergarments designed for travelers who go to shady places; they are designed to be impossible to see (so the pickpockets can't locate them). You could look into that.

Other than that, think creatively. If the character has a mascot or larger weapon/prop, see if you can't find a way to stuff things inside it (I know a girl who cosplayed as a pokemon trainer and hollowed out her pokemon plushie to hold her purse and ID).

MidoriUma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I just carry my usual messenger bag or purse around. If the costume doesn't physically allow me to carry one (my Luna cosplay is beaded and needs careful carrying of one, Quorra has electronics over the shoulders so I can only safely carry a short-handled one), which is rare, my boyfriend plays pack mule +1. Since he doesn't really cosplay he always carries a backpack at cons, so he'll usually carry my stuff.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

When I was Rocket and had no Pockets I made a plush baby Groot that doubled as a purse. There's always something you can build if you want to. But you can always hide your bag, too.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Slim down what you bring to cons. I take money, cell phone, car keys. Lunch and emergency fix-it kit stay in the car.
Possible Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (Five Nights at Freddy's), Lord Cutler Beckett (Pirates of the Caribbean), Freddie Lounds (NBC Hannibal)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
Slim down what you bring to cons. I take money, cell phone, car keys. Lunch and emergency fix-it kit stay in the car.
Well, that isn't ALWAYS an option. Most cons I go to, it's public transit and no hotel, so everything I bring has to stay with us all day. It's one thing to leave out your bulkiest repair kit pieces and a laptop, but you can't just go with nothing, especially if you need to bring your own food or need medication like say, insulin or inhalers.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
idleEscapist

I am absolutely terrible at remembering to add pockets to my costumes, so I pretty much always have a bag with me, which has my wallet, phone and charger, small sewing kit, bobby pins, elastics, safety pins, chapstick, pens/pencils, paper, Nintendo 3DS and charger, con guidebook and/or schedule/map, and the ALL IMPORTANT water bottle, among other things.

I recently purchased this from thinkgeek for going to cons, and I can't wait to use it~
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #9
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Honestly..I know 100% how you feel..That's the exact samt hing I do..I basically make sure there's at least some kind of pocket or bag of some kind..I even went so far as to add a pouch to my OC and gave her a reason to carry it in universe so I could have something..
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

I agree with what folks have already said. Threads like this are why I sell the little accessories I do at Artist Alleys (and in my shop). It's much easier to have a small wallet you can secure on your person than something you have to stuff down the bodice of your dress (as I've had to do one too many times).

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'
Angelic_Sabyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:12 AM   #11
FearTheAsian117

Since I'm usually in a group, I just pass things off to my friend if I don't have pockets (Let's be honest....everyone has that pack mule friend XD). That or I just try and take a light bag like a small day backpack or a drawstring bag. Something that's easy to take on and off.

I mean, if you absolutely cannot find anywhere to put personal belongings (Like for my Haru cosplay. I have no pockets.....at all...and a bathing suit...so can't even stuff it in my pants XD jk. I wouldn't actually put it in my pants.) Then I usually rely on the pack mule method. Cause carrying a pack really can be a pain sometimes. TBH wristlets are great cause they can carry your essentials like phone, money, ID and they're super small.

I'm not generally THAT worried about people making off with my backpack. Let's be honest. At cons, if you put down your bag next to you for a photo and some dude runs off, more likely than not, someone will yell, whether it be you rot he person taking your picture and some congoer will most likely stop him. DISCLAIMER: Shit happens. I get it. I'm just saying for the most part. There are always exceptions.

So yeah, as what many people said, small wristlets, backpacks, add pockets if you can, or get a packmule of the group XD

~Fear

https://www.facebook.com/FTACosplayAndAnime/

Upcoming Cosplay:

Haruka Nanase from Free! Iwatobi Swim Club!

Completed Cosplay:

Lie Ren-RWBY
Death the Kid-Soul Eater

Next Con (And upcoming):
Anime Boston 2015
Anime North 2015
Otakon 2015
FearTheAsian117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:29 AM   #12
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

No matter what, I always bring a bag of some sorts. I usually carry a tote bag that I've installed a zipper onto for security. It's easy to carry around and I can quickly set it down by my feet or hand it to whoever I'm with for pictures. No one's going to care if you have a bag while walking around. Your stuff's gotta go somewhere. Plus my wallet is too big to fit in any pockets anyway.

Another thing I like doing is to pick a bag that looks like something the character might carry around. For example, I was doing an Attack on Titan cosplay last year at Katsucon. I wanted something that fit in with the militaristic, scouting theme of the character. Since there's basically no farming space, I wanted to limit the amount of leather used. I also wanted to stick to earth tones since that was the coloring of the costume. My solution for a bag for this character was a bag like this. It's a good solution if you don't want to set your bag down and don't have anyone to hand it to.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:43 AM   #13
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Oh, another interesting thing I've seen that I like..Using props as storage. I saw this one cosplayer that makes all of their weapons have a spot that isn't noticeable, that opens up with a space for their wallet and phone and whatever. I also plan on a similar thing, though mine is something people actually normally do. For Princes Peach I plan on making a Turnip plushie and having it have a zipper in the back that's a pocket.
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 06:00 AM   #14
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

I used to choose my bags according to my costume. For my Festival Goer Rikku I even made a bag that looked like a giant bag with goldfish in it.

But I've been really lazy lately, so I just carry the messenger bag with me I always use. I just need water and some food during the day and con prices for that are insane. I also have some stuff to repair my cos, something to take notes, a brush, my lipstick and whatever else I need in it. I just can't go without being prepared for pretty much EVERYTHING xD

~Up Next~
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I tend to bring a bag that can carry my wallet and phone and that is it.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime Expo
2016 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 80% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Majora's Mask Skull Kid
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote