Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 05-14-2004, 03:43 AM   #1
itoman

Frequently Asked Questions: How old is too old?

Just wondering how long everyone plans to cosplay? Do you have an age that you plan to stop? Perhaps after college or kids? Or do you plan to keep going until you can pull off a really convincing Happosai?
itoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2004, 04:00 AM   #2
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

...Love that assumption that everyone here is still in high school... I know I can come across as a real brat, but still!

You are either very new to this site (looks like), or have never seen the awesome pics of the wonderful 75-year-old (or was it 82 or 85 or something?) Rikku cosplayer, the amazing Kaede (from Inu-Yasha) cosplayer (looks just like her), or the Cologne cosplayer (whom I've seen at AX in person, and is a much prettier grandma than Ms. Takahashi's drawings), but we've been over this topic ad nauseum on Cosplay.com before.

Here are just the last 3 threads relevant to this subject (there's also a "questions for cosplayers with children" thread that's fairly recent too somewhere.) These are by no means the ONLY threads we've had...

Age category poll: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=34222
Eldest cosplayer on this site?: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=14614
How many adult cosplayers?: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=27901

I've been cosplaying at cons since I was a teen, and I'm plenty past college now, and I have kids who cosplay with me; one who is already a teen herself. In any case, while some people may plan to stop cosplaying after a certain age, the rest of us have no intention of doing so.

11_04_04 EDIT: The above thread links should still be valid. Lots more interesting commentary therein.

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-24-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 04:09 AM   #3
animeBecky21
Goofy girly user

Age and Cosplay

One of the threads below gave me some additional curiousity with regard to the typical age of those involved in cosplay... given I'm relatively new, I was curious. I see here on these boards pretty much anywhere from 12 or so to 30's... am wondering if the same holds true for conventions. Am feeling on the old side over here -----> me = old faster than I expected, or something...
animeBecky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 05:49 AM   #4
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

I'm 22 years old myself. I've been going to anime conventions since I was 20. I know there's a lot of younger people that attend cons and cosplay, thanks to the ever-growing popularity of Adult Swim. Though most of my cosplaying friends are over the age of 20.

Edit: OMFG. I'm 28 now. D:

Last edited by Bobbi : 04-30-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 06:04 AM   #5
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I started cosplaying when I was 13 and attended my first con right after I turned 14... I'm 18 now. ^_^; Ever since I started, 99% of my friends at cons were always at least a few years older than me.. usually more than that, even.

As for the age range on this board.. Well we're mostly all con goers, so I'd say the same holds true indeed. :P

--> Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / ACParadise / Cospix / Website / Tumblr <--

Next Event: FanimeCon in San Jose, California (May 22-25)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 07:16 AM   #6
fushigi-chan

I've been going to cons since I was 14 and now I'm 16 ^_^
A lot of my cosplay friends are either in their late teens/early twenties or around my age/a little younger
fushigi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 07:40 AM   #7
MakoChan
Soylent Green 4 everyone!

I am going to cons since I am 14, cosplaying since I am 16 (or 17?) and now I am 19 and I love cosplay more then ever

I also saw great, GREAT cosplayers in the age from 30 to 40. I will not believe that there is an "age limit" for Cosplayers - and I don't like to hope so ^^' Because last but not least we all grow up and get older *g*

Mata ne
MakoChan

Currently-Sewing-List:
ME-Tan from OS-Tan
MakoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 07:47 AM   #8
Nekozumi

I'm 13 (turning 14 on Sunday). I went to my first con last year and am planning to cosplay for the first time at Metrocon.
Nekozumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 08:19 AM   #9
marronsama
How YOU Doin'?

I am 22 and started when i was 18. I have noticed that the average age of con goers seems to be decreasing at a fairly rapid rate. Back 4 years ago cons were full of mainly college age people or those in their later teens. This was most likely because anime/manga was not as popular yet and there were fewer cons that depended on people to travel to attend. Since these people could drive and have less supervision, they made of the majority of the con goers.

Now, with there being so many cons all over the place and the growing popularity of anime/manga many more people are coming to these cons who are younger. They tend to be made up of a high majority of local residents who attend local schools. I would say the average age is down to about 16 or so now. I mean many schools even have anime and manga clubs... ok...i am lecturing...you get the point! gomen!
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
Chiri
blahblahblah

Started attending cons and cosplaying at age 15, now I am 17 My cosplay friends are usually my age or older. Works for me!
Chiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:22 AM   #11
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

I think the the age distribution of cosplayers can be demonstrated by a chi-square distribution, with the left side of the x-axis representing younger people and the right side of the x-axis representing older people. The y-axis is the number of cosplayers.

heh

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #12
sephygoth
Hater lover

fractionation

Yeah, I've met ppl who were in their 30's that look like 19 or 20, surprises the heck outta ya but at the same time shows that the cosplay "hobby" lasts
awhile. At the same time, it's harder to get time to pull of cosplay when you aquire a "job" after college, maybe that's why some people can't show up as much(?) maybe that's why(as someone mentioned above) there seems to be
younger and younger crowds
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #13
bunnybeth
mama bunny

I think the average age for cosplayers and con-goers is about high school- college age. But, there's certainly plenty of 'real-world' aged cosplayers around. I'm 25 myself and don't feel that out of place at cons or in costume... well, not more out of place going around my friend's apartment in a bright orange wig than I would if I was 35 or 45 years old...

[CONversations] A webcomic about the CON experience
[Sew Bunny Cosplay] [BadCat Studios]
bunnybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 11:18 AM   #14
Mew_Pudding
Tits.

WHeeeeee!

There is definitely no age limit! I`ve seen alot of older or younger cosplayers that are really good! I went to my first con when I was 11, and I`m 12 now. Cosplayed at everycon. (AnimeNEXT `03, Genericon, AnimeBoston `04 and AnimeNEXT `03) Although, I didn`t start making my own costume`s until Boston. ^.^
Mew_Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #15
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybeth
I think the average age for cosplayers and con-goers is about high school- college age. But, there's certainly plenty of 'real-world' aged cosplayers around. I'm 25 myself and don't feel that out of place at cons or in costume... well, not more out of place going around my friend's apartment in a bright orange wig than I would if I was 35 or 45 years old...
I'd like to hear how you feel when you hit 35. Will you still think the same? heh

From my perspective, I do feel out of place at cons, since I no longer keep up with the latest and greatest, and some people are incredibly immature.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote