Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #1
ChibiDannimon

Missing out on Cons

For me convention season is over now that Anime Midwest has come and gone and my next convention isnt until C2E2 2015. When you are on facebook do you ever get jealous or even bitter about people who are talking about going to other conventions while you are sitting here missing out on all of them either because you have no way of getting to these cons or other factors.

So what do you do during long gaps between cons? Id work on cosplays but for me I have no new cosplays planned for next year. I really wanted to go to Otakon and I actually made plans to go but because of work-related matters I couldnt get off. And its bumming me out.

2014 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Rosa/Mei - Pokemon Black and White 2
Finn - Adventure Time
Ben Tennyson - Ben 10 Omniverse
Takato - Digimon 03
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #2
Syon

No, because most of the year, when I hear people talk on facebook about cons, they are all talking about anime conventions and you would have to pay me, before I get up to travel to an animeconvention. So there are just like two conventions in my own country in which I'm at least interested in. Since I'm slow with making costumes I have always something to do while I wait for the next year to come.

Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #3
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Hey ChibiDannimon, is there a local convention where you live? If so, if it hasn't passed, then go to that one and just don't stay at the hotel. It'll be a cheaper convention since you live where the convention is where you are. That'll help get you motivated for next year.

That's what I did. I just recently in the last 4 anime conventions that I had to miss out on because of college work and moving from place A to place B. Now I had to move back to place A because place B was ripping my family off I managed to attend MTAC 2014 while transitioning back to place A, but we still had to be careful with expenses.

Since I'm now back home, I went to a local anime convetion that's in my hometown and I had a blast. While that went on and everything came to a close for 2014 for me, now I'm getting ready for 2015.

So it's all about preparing and managing your time well during the waiting process. Of course, it can also be your suffering from "post con" blues as well

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #4
sergioL

I missed comic con once since 05 when I started going and that was only because I was deployed. Even then I hated life while I was missing it.
sergioL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #5
MaiCosplay
synonymous B.

I like that meme. I might not get into costume just neko ears and a simple design. :. The main reason is it would be too late for me to get all the equipment I need to make the costume before the con. Because nearby stores don't have what I need.

Last edited by MaiCosplay : Yesterday at 05:31 PM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:15 PM   #6
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I live in the countryside of Japan. There is no "cosplay season" for me, only Otakon when I visit my family in the summer. Sure, they have cosplay events in the city 2 hours from where I live pretty often, but these aren't even close to what US cons are. Japanese cosplay events aren't very good for meeting people, so I still find myself craving the chance to attend more US cons.

But I'm not bitter about it in the least when other people talk about cons. They're having fun and I'm happy for them.

Planned Cosplays:
2014: NEW→Zhurong (Dynasty Warriors 8) REPEAT→Sailor S. Fighter, Kasumi (maybe)
2015: Cosplay hiatus? (not yet decided)

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #7
Ilafatyu
That guy

No cosplay season for me either. One in spring/summer, one in fall, and that's it. I love seeing people's pictures and stories from conventions. I'm old, I don't have the same shiny eyed excitement as I used to, so seeing other people having fun makes me happy.

That said, my time between conventions is filled with a full time job, making stuff for our store/next event, and endless projects in between. This website does its part in alleviating post-con blues, too. Talking to people, seeing their progress, it's like a little convention every time I log in.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #8
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~

Sure I do get bummed out, but I do get over it. Last year when I missed AX, I was utterly crushed and even crying, BUT! There was more to it than that - some of my Skype friends (who lend their voices for my visual novel projects as well) were there, so I missed my chance to finally meet up with them, plus a member of our team passed away making that the worst weekend of my life. This year I did get a little bummed, but not as much, mainly because I wasn't as stressed like the devastating July of 2013. And I had a blast at Anime Conji this year, so that made up for it. So I ended up using my would have been AX money this year to buy a used PS2 instead, as well as a couple games. This turned out being a better investment, plus I had more time to work on my Xiaoyu cosplay.

So, how to handle missing out on a con? Try to plan some personal events for yourself; make more cosplay, maybe find a cool place for a cosplay photoshoot, go out to eat, take walks, play video games! Just relieve the stress and disappointment by keeping yourself occupied doing fun and productive things, that would be my advice ^.^
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

Currently in the works!
Keichii Maebara [casual, genderbent] (Higurashi)
Shinji Ikari [school uniform, genderbent] (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #9
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Kinda? This year ended up only having one con I could attend because I can't afford to go to HawaiiCon, who oddly enough are catering to mainland audiences rather then in state comic fans... My friends have been going to mainland cons instead so yeah, I'm a bit jelly but I don't exactly have the money to do it.

2015, I'll be able to expand to three cons ^^ so I've started my cosplays for that.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #10
ChibiDannimon

Sadly for me, all my friends are so busy attending cons and with their personal lives that they never have the time to ever talk or even post anything on facebook. So talking to the friends Ive met at cons is rather pointless.

As much as I try to busy myself with art projects or work-related stuff its hard NOT to think about your next con and how long of a wait it is.

Some people can get over con depression, others may never get over it.

2014 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Rosa/Mei - Pokemon Black and White 2
Finn - Adventure Time
Ben Tennyson - Ben 10 Omniverse
Takato - Digimon 03
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:15 PM   #11
Syon

I think I have this kind of feeling only centered on cosplay progress. When I see other cosplayers from my country post one amazing progress picture after another and the outcome is flawless...I first feel amazed and then there comes this strange sad feeling, when I think of my own cosplay work, where I usually struggle a lot, stagnate or end work with a "good enough" result.

Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #12
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

No, because I live in the bay area of California, so there is a convention around every corner. Seriously, prepping for SacAnime, then have one weekend to repair gear and prep for Yaoi-Con the weekend after.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #13
Reily96
Zelda Obsessed

There's no real convention season here in Florida either... There are convention events year round, the issue is that they're nearly always mid state rather than in the south, where I live. There are some south Florida cons year round now, unfortunately, I have a severe beef with the owner of the conventions and I flat out refuse to attend them. As such, my next convention is in... October. And it's getting me so antsy since I have a new cosplay I never got to debut at my last con and another cosplay I'll be finishing this week with no place to show it off to. :/

The cosplay scene is South Florida, honestly, is pretty dead. I know a few other cosplayers in the area, but for the most part everything is mid-state. And in between cons I'm left to mostly myself and working on other things until the next con...

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #14
schmemy
Emily

I was kind of bummed when my FL friends had Metrocon this weekend and I wasn't there to have fun with them. I distracted myself out of being bummed by working on more cosplays! The pictures they were putting up just made me that much more motivated and excited for my next con.

In Progress Cosplays
Override Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Episode 24 Credits Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)

Next con: Akai Con
Souda | Bertholdt
schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #15
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
I think I have this kind of feeling only centered on cosplay progress. When I see other cosplayers from my country post one amazing progress picture after another and the outcome is flawless...I first feel amazed and then there comes this strange sad feeling, when I think of my own cosplay work, where I usually struggle a lot, stagnate or end work with a "good enough" result.
Ugh, this so much. 2014 is half over and I'm still working on this ONE costume (granted I took a two-month break). I see what other people are doing and the photos they're taking and it makes me depressed too. But then I post my own progress photos and my friends and others approve, so that makes me feel better.

I think what cosplayers post online is much like what people post on Facebook in general--everyone looks happier than they actually are. Likewise, I think cosplayers who make their own costumes struggle a lot more than what their progress photos suggest.

Planned Cosplays:
2014: NEW→Zhurong (Dynasty Warriors 8) REPEAT→Sailor S. Fighter, Kasumi (maybe)
2015: Cosplay hiatus? (not yet decided)

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote