Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 12-04-2003, 11:39 PM   #1
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Curves, waist... see my new work!

Heya all

After months of work today I finished building MY CORSET! It's the first time I take a sewing piece so difficult so you can see I'm really excited.

This is not something you would pick up on a shelf at Kmart. Don't let its humble appearance fool you. This baby has a duck canvas core, bemberg lining on the inside for sliding and swimsuit lining on the outside for color and texture. It includes over 20 stainless steel bones, including lacing bones, and over 7 metres of lacing.

I started with a historic pattern, but made many modifications, adjustments and customization on the way. Once I think about it, the amount of time, effort and money that this baby took was incredible. If I had to quote it for someone else the price would be ridiculous.

Of course I could write a book with everything I did wrong with it, but that's all part of the learning experience.

So what are you waiting for? Go check it out at my gallery!

Huggs

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2003, 12:22 AM   #2
Pendrell
yea for thou art kickass.

Dani, you amaze me.
That's some CRAZYmad work you did, and it was definitely worth it. Ha ha, I really don't know what else to say... it boggles my everlovin' mind how well that corset works for you. *l*
Unread 12-05-2003, 12:38 AM   #3
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendrell
Dani, you amaze me.
That's some CRAZYmad work you did, and it was definitely worth it.
Seriously... The cosplay community is the first place I find where my skills are appreciated and recognized. I should have landed here years ago...

Huggs...

Dani
Unread 12-05-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Oh, wowsa, Lady Dani!

Now I KNOW what costume I think you ought to make next: -- an EGL-style (Elegant Gothic Lolita) dress to show off those great curves!!
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 01:53 AM   #5
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisu-sama
Now I KNOW what costume I think you ought to make next: -- an EGL-style (Elegant Gothic Lolita) dress to show off those great curves!!
Sounds yummy!.. I'll add it to the queue. First I must do both Sailor Venus SeraMyu uniforms for the performance I've been recruited to. That'll probably take a few months at my speed.

Hugs,

Dani
Unread 12-05-2003, 03:02 AM   #6
Ookami

Wow! That's amazing! ^o^

I just wish I could make things like that...>.<;;

Well...I guess I'll have to try my hardest...I'm only 13, so I have got an excuse for being useles...*cries* ;o;
Ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 11:22 AM   #7
dani

Even when the Gallery button is momentarily disabled, you can still visit my gallery on this kink:

http://images.cosplay.com/showgaller...=11502&cat=500

My bad luck for posting the pics just when the board goes for repairs...
Unread 12-05-2003, 06:19 PM   #8
Pochi
Arf!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani
Seriously... The cosplay community is the first place I find where my skills are appreciated and recognized. I should have landed here years ago...
I'm speaking for myself here, but I don't personally know anyone who crossdresses outside of crossplaying. To use a few cliches- It's been like feeling my way around in the dark, and I know I've had to reinvent the wheel more than once.

I think (but I don't know) that a lot of others on this forum are in the same boat. </cliche> So when someone of your talent and experience is willing to share their knowlege, we can really appreciate it. So, personally, I'm gald you're here. ^_^

And speaking of sharing- where'd you get the supplies to make your corset?
Pochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 06:55 PM   #9
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pochi
So when someone of your talent and experience is willing to share their knowlege, we can really appreciate it. So, personally, I'm gald you're here. ^_^

And speaking of sharing- where'd you get the supplies to make your corset?
I wouldnt say as much as talent. It's been years of trial and error. Looooots of errors on so many levels. I have pics of my dressing tests back from 92, all the way to the ones I took yesterday. On the other hand, photographic cameras are funny, meaning that sometimes they enhance things we want to hide (i delete those), but also sometimes they dilute problems (those pics I post)

Regarding supplies, letmesee: duck canvas, lining and swimsuit lining at fabric stores. I've been checking prices for months and jumped to the chance when they went on special.

I used standard thread, put some bones into the channels formed by the serged flat-fell seams and for the bones where i didn't have seams I used bias tape for piping.

The eyelets are also somewhat standard, with the manual pliers, and the lacing is the strongest sweeshy cord I could find.

The metal parts were more difficult. I found ONE local supplier for bones and the front busk. Got the bones from him but he was asking $30 for the busk, so I went online and found it for $16 at Farthingales. They shipped in a couple of days and since they are also from Canada, we didn't have to mess with duty, customs, and so on. On their site I also found something called "lacing bones", which helped a lot on the back part. Pressing the eyelets through them plus all the layers of fabric was tough. Don't forget that's at least three layers, plus doble canvas on some parts, plus folds.

For future projects I found steel snake roll (like for unclogging drains) which can be cut to size for the bones. Ah: every bone has a different size and had to be cut with a bolt cutter after the corset was done and a "tip" applied to it.

The top and bottom trims are regular white bias tape.

As you can see I didn't go for fancy. Just looked for the most plain material without compromising at all in function and strenght. It is not meant to be seen when worn, so no shiny fabric, no ribbons or any decoration whatsoever.

Anything else.. just ask

Dani
Unread 12-06-2003, 12:12 AM   #10
LunarYoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani
Heya all

After months of work today I finished building MY CORSET! It's the first time I take a sewing piece so difficult so you can see I'm really excited.

Dani

good job. as for making a corset(dont know how), if i could get the cost of materials down below under 200 to 300$, then i would consider making one(if i knoew how that is) otherwise id stick to buying them.

I got my first corset several months ago. It cost me 180$ I love it. I had a natural slouch when i walked(which looked like i had a small hump on my back), the corset corrected that after about 2 weeks wearing it.

Lunar Yoma

Ours is the Wisdom of Solomon,The Magic of Merlin,The Fall of Icarus. From Countless Ages We Have Beckoned, From Infinite choices We Have Suffered. The World Chokes Under Stifling Conformity, Hopes Crumble in the Fire of Mediocrity, Heroes Die in the Snare of Pride. Armaggeddon is at Hand. Reality is a Lie. The Truth is Magic. Open Your Eyes and Awaken.
LunarYoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2003, 12:24 AM   #11
engrish

woo hoo good job.
Unread 12-07-2003, 04:48 PM   #12
Lottie
Good Golly!

Wow, that's really neat!!! I have been wanting to make a corset for awhile now but I havent gotten around to it ^_^;; Yours is awesome though Dani, very cool. Was it expensive to make?
Lottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2003, 06:12 PM   #13
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
Yours is awesome though Dani, very cool. Was it expensive to make?
Thanks for the congrats.

The fabric itself wasn't that expensive. There is not much of it, I chose basic materials and waited till they were on sale. The problem is the accesories. Now that everything is over I'm afraid of totalling my costs. I'd be scared .

But the biggest cost was time. It has lots of details that you can't skip if you want to be pleased with the outcome.

Paraphrasing someone... "I'd pay a million dollars for the experience, but I wouldn't do it again even if you pay me a million dollars"
Unread 12-07-2003, 07:47 PM   #14
marsie
Busty MacHumps

Dani!
You go! You have better curves then me. *note to self...make corset*

I couldn't see you as a EGL....but if you look for an artbook, it is the KamiKaze Kaitou Jeanne artbook. Some of the costumes in there....are definatly your style.

Very streamline and elegant. I just don't think you would look good in lace and frills.

Beautiful Job!

Beth G
Ohayocon Board of Directors

Senior Director of Operations
marsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2003, 11:43 PM   #15
Hitori
Tra la la

Wowie! You make a hot chick *^.^*
The corset is _amazing_ you're veri convincing^_^