Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Yu-Gi-Oh

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Makenzoo

Seto Kaiba Jacket Help!!

Hey everyone I was just curious because I know I want to be Seto Kaiba for a cosplay but the problem is that I refuse to wear the cosplay if the jacket is not right.. I was wondering what I should use to make the bottom of the jacket flare out the way it does... do I use half a hoop or is there a material I can place between the fabric and the lining that could make it look like that?? any ideas? or tips for the rest of the unnaturalness of his jacket?
Makenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

You don't. The coat looks that way because of its sheer volume.

I've made five or six of these coats for commission, including both the white Battle City coat and the purple sleeved version. I always start with a basic flared coat pattern (not a trenchcoat, think more like the Matrix coat pattern) and then add in triangular gores to the side seams. Look up a "gored skirt" to see what that means. It's basically adding triangles of fabric into the seams to add in volume.

If you take the series as a whole, you'll notice that Kaiba's coat does move naturally, in the wind or when he walks fast. It flaps in the wind. So trying to use a wire or boning or anything else to stiffen the side or bottom hem will just make the coat sit unnaturally around you. If you've seen a hoop skirt, and a person walking around in a ballgown, you'll know what I mean. They just float around like a living wedding cake. That isn't natural. If you want Kaiba's coat to look natural and yet still amazing and accurate, it just needs to have huge volume in the bottom. My roommate's Kaiba coat, for example, has a bottom hem that's 17 feet long. I think my Amelda coat is about the same length around the bottom.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Makenzoo

Ok thanks.. so pretty much between the white and the red i need like a crapload of more layers of fabric on the bottom?
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

No, not layers. It's a structure thing. You're not making a petticoat, you're just making the coat huge.

google or check sewing instructional websites and tutorials for the terms "gore" and "godet," two words that are used more or less for the same thing. It's a piece of the pattern, a shape being sewn into the lower half of the coat from the waist to the hem. It's very hard for me to describe in text and I don't have any photos or drawings of the method (I work from scratch with no patterns). But I have seen the method used in skirts, cloaks, dresses, and coats that always include either "gore" or "godet" as a pattern term.

You'll need to buy more fabric in general, because the big triangle pieces are...well, big triangles. But it's not to add layers or anything.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Makenzoo

alright ill do that thanks =D