Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Left 4 Dead

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
RoxieRavage

Zippers - How to Dye/Paint them? - Zoey (Left 4 Dead)

Hi, all!

I'm working on Zoey from Left 4 Dead, but I'm in a rush. I want to get it done for Halloween festivities. I ordered a jacket (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038JHSXM), and decided to alter it slightly to fit what I need. The only things is, I'd prefer not to have to replace the zipper completely ... but it needs to be white. Are there any methods of dyeing or painting that would be effective at changing the color of the plastic zipper without losing it's functionality (making it stick)? I had one friend suggest spray paint, but I haven't tried it yet nor do I know what type of spray paint would be best ...

I have one more topic of interest I want input on: I'm wondering the best way to alter/change the kimono sleeve seams that lay crosswise on the shoulders. In Zoey's jacket, they're white, but I don't want to rip out the seam and add white trim or anything. Would it be best to just carefully bleach those seams white or stitch white piping over the the seams to create the desired look? Would any other method be easier? Oh, and my last question would be about the white panels on the side of her jacket. If you can't tell, I'm in a rush, so I don't want to get too involved in taking it apart to insert the white panels. What would be a better and quicker to create those white panels while still maintaining a professional look in construction?

Thanks for any help! And here's a link to see Zoey's jacket in detail:
RoxieRavage is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

There's not much you can do about the zipper except replace it. The MOST professional way to add the panels and the detailing would be to take the jacket apart and add trim and new panels to the side, but you could also achieve a decent effect with carefully applied bias tape to the arm seams, and applique on the sides to create the white panels. If you use fleece for the applique, you also don't have to worry about hemming the pieces, or using a satin stitch, and that will cut down on time while matching your vest fabric. I wouldn't go with paint, since it will probably mat down the fleece of the jacket, and look obviously like paint.

Hopefully this came in time to help with your rush!
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
harmonyisarine

Agree with everything above. If you really want a white zipper, go to a craft store and find some paint that bonds with plastic (I think model paints would) and carefully paint it on with a paintbrush. I would highly advise against spraypaint, there's too much risk of getting it all over your jacket. I'd only paint the zipper pull, maybe the top side of the teeth. Don't go into the spaces in between. The paint will chip. It's a matter of time, and probably not much at that. You could always do this as a quick fix and then replace with a white zipper when you have more time.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote