Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Left 4 Dead

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Angel Miki
Imperfect Angel

The Witch - General Tips

I'd like to cosplay the Witch at MetroCon next year, but I need help. I know MANY threads like this have been made, but I wanted one were I could collect tips on all aspects of the cosplay: clothes, make-up, claws, wig, (for more dedicated cosplayers like me) behavior, and vocalization.

I admit I haven't played L4D, but I'm planning to before MetroCon. I've read all about the individual characters and watched gameplay, in person and on YouTube. The character I'm most attracted to cosplaying after all that is the Witch, so yea. Again, I WILL play the game before I debut the cosplay.

With that aside, let's start the questions from top to bottom.

HAIR:
1. Any recomindations on wigs?
2. If I get a plain white/blond wig, what's the best way to have the brown/black at the ends, dying or extensions?
3. If I dye, how would I? (I had laughs typing this question.)

CLOTHES:
1. If I decide to enter a Masqurade, should I just make a tank top and panties or is it fine if I buy them and alter them?
2. What's the best way to rip the top?
3. What's a good way to bloodstain clothing?
4. Any advice on gaining confidence to be half naked in public?

MAKE-UP:
1. How should I put make-up on?
2. What about blending it in with the claws?
3. If I use thin ankle-mid-lower-leg socks for my feet, how would I blend that together with the make-up?
4. I know the Witch cries a lot: how should I attempt to make me look like I've bawled my eyes out?

CLAWS:
- all questions answered -

FEET:
1. To protect or not? That's not a question. Some cons have banned barefeet. I was thinking of using stocking that don't go too high and making the black (if not bought that way) and putting those sole pain relievers in as the bottom to protect my feet. Good idea or horrible idea?

BEHAVIOR:
1. Have any of you seen videos of cosplayers acting like the Witch PERFECTLY?

VOCALIZATION:
1. Best videos or mp3s of the Witch or Witch cosplayers sounding perfect like her, so I may practice as I listen?

I'll be posting the methods I use to make my cosplay for any other Witches spawning after I finish my cosplay. For now, they'll be text, but I plan to make videos and dA tutorials on all my methods to help explain. (If you see your name by something, I'm thanking you for the suggestion or crediting your idea.)

My Witch Method:
WIG: N/A
CLOTHES: Store-bought (LittleLostWitch), tea-dying (various cosplayers)
MAKE-UP: Halloween make-up (LittleLostWitch)
CLAWS: Chinese finger traps as attachments + masking tape + black ink as dye + black fake claws. (scarlettwolff)
FEET: Low stockings with soles at the bottom(?)

My official tips:
1. Check the con's website to see if barefeet are allowed when in the convention site before going completely barefoot.
2. To make the high pitches, I suggest you warm up your vocals with Choiral warm-ups.
3. When you dye the masking tape and traps for your claws, do it in a heavily vendilated area because of the fumes from the black ink. (given by scarlettwolff, the cosplayer who helped with my claws)
4. When tea-dying, take out the tea bags before inserting the clothing to prevent uneven dye and use 100% cotton clothing. (given by Sarcasm-hime and LittleLostWitch)
OtherCurrentWIPs: Rave Ruby (GenCon)

Last edited by Angel Miki : 10-28-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Angel Miki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
LostLittleWitch
Please cut the lights D:

For the wig, I'd recommend any shoulder length platinum blonde wig. I got mine from The Five Wits, but sadly the one I used was limited edition, and sold out a while ago. :C

And for the claws, I actually bought finger extensions online, and used straws as a base for elongating the "claw" part, and then used paper and tape to make the base, and cut them accordingly. They're fairly sturdy, and although they need some paint, they look great so far. Good luck!
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Angel Miki
Imperfect Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLittleWitch View Post
For the wig, I'd recommend any shoulder length platinum blonde wig. I got mine from The Five Wits, but sadly the one I used was limited edition, and sold out a while ago. :C

And for the claws, I actually bought finger extensions online, and used straws as a base for elongating the "claw" part, and then used paper and tape to make the base, and cut them accordingly. They're fairly sturdy, and although they need some paint, they look great so far. Good luck!
Wig: M'kay, thanks. :3

Claws: I already found a method, but I'll add and "Alternitive Method" section in later days and add your's to that, lol. :3 Thanks though!
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
LostLittleWitch
Please cut the lights D:

For clothes, I'd recommend just buying stuff, because it might be cheaper than actually sewing the outfit, but if you'd like, it should be fairly easy to make. All you'll need is a ribbed tank top and a pair of underwear. I'd recommend either finding them in a khaki/off-white color, or the slightly easier method of tea dying to get them to look grungy and gross. Plus, the tea dying will make the clothes a lot closer to the color in the game. Just be sure that everything is 100% cotton! I'd also recommend wearing at least 2 pairs of actual underwear underneath the panties if you're planning on using those, although a lot of people wear elastic shorts too.

For makeup, I have this big thing of Mehron's clown white makeup, but a lot of people recommend Aquacolor too. Halloween makeup actually works pretty well from what I've heard too, but I personally can't stand having the stuff on my face... The stuff I used was almost like wearing acrylic paint! Cosmetic wedges are pretty good for applying all of your makeup. And remember not to go too heavy on the blood either, the Witch mostly has it in and around her mouth, and around her eyes. Her eyes are also pretty puffy and red from her constant crying, so try to simulate that as well.
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Angel Miki
Imperfect Angel

I think I'll buy Halloween make-up since it's cheap and stuff. Well, that's if I get to a store in time.
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #6
Dead Cosplay
Sweet and Bloody

{this is Seiten Taisei made a new account}
To help answer some question for you =D

HAIR:

1. Any recommendations on wigs?
--If you want to, Shoulder length to mid back.
--If you have dark hair or blonde, this is one cosplay for it to be acceptable to use the cheap colored hairspray.

2. If I get a plain white/blond wig, what's the best way to have the brown/black at the ends, dying or extensions?
--There is a way to "Sharpie Dye" the ends. Which you can find tutorials on the tutorial forms. [Quick Link: Sharpie Dye Tutorial
--Spray temp hair die will settle.

3. If I dye, how would I? (I had laughs typing this question.)
--See number 2 =D

CLOTHES:
1. If I decide to enter a Masqurade, should I just make a tank top and panties or is it fine if I buy them and alter them?
--I would suggest over 50% of the costume to be made. Say... the top and claws?

2. What's the best way to rip the top?
--Multiple ways. I used knifes, nails, an odd plastic thing I found on the floor, a 5 year old sister with safety scissors.

3. What's a good way to bloodstain clothing?
-- Your hands are your best tool. Wear the top and use ether store bought or homemade blood to "stain" the shirt.
--To dirty it up, I simply took it and tossed it in dirt and grass and ash from the fireplace.
--A lot of people Tea-dye their witch costumes.

4. Any advice on gaining confidence to be half naked in public?
-- It is no different then wearing a bikini at the pool or beach. Just no water around (unless the hotel has a fountain or a pool else were).

MAKE-UP:

1. How should I put make-up on?
-- Depends on make-up. I use the white cream make up from Halloween. Surprisingly its the best make-up I have used for the witch. I use my hands. Except for the face, I use a make-up sponge.
-- With above method, I use baby powder and non-colored, non-scented hairspray to make sure it doesn't come off. Depth in color is used with grey, brown, and black eye shadows.

2. What about blending it in with the claws?
-- My claws are made out of cardboard and held on with a mix of spirit gum and electric tape. I blend them in with easy by using both red and black colored hair spray. (This is kind of where you need another person to help. I do the same method for my feet.

3. If I use thin ankle-mid-lower-leg socks for my feet, how would I blend that together with the make-up?
--Assuming you mean ankle-sock for shoes, I would find a pair of black ones so you can wear flats. Simply use method mention above in number 2.

4. I know the Witch cries a lot: how should I attempt to make me look like I've bawled my eyes out?
-- This is solely up to you. Maybe have some "make-up" running. Clear latex to be "tears".

CLAWS:
- all questions answered -
--I'll still give a few suggestion.
There are different ways to make them and experiment with them as much as you like.

The cheapest would me Aluminum (tin foil) claws. Basically take kitchen foil and shape it around your fingers and out to create the claws. from there use glue from a hot glue gun to reinforce it before you paint it with a red base color and a water down black paint to give it that finished grim look.

You can go a paper mache route as well, use the base of the foil before thickening the claws with paper mache. paint it.

(this next one I am making a tutorial for, still)
Personally, I use small card board tubes that you can find at a party store. (the party blowers). I make a diagonal cut at the tip and bend the tube to look like the claws she had. Using Hot Glue at the joints to keep them bent some. The paper part, I kept some of the paper at the base to have something to hold onto and slip over the tips of the figures.

Once they are done, I use spray paint primer to go over it. Let it dry. Then coat it with a non glossy red paint, let dry. Lightly spray it with black paint but enough to still see the red. Dry.

To attach, I used electric tape and use temp hair spray color to coat my hands and the tape with the red and then with the black temp hair spray. I find it lasts longer plus it comes out with soap and water.

FEET:
1. To protect or not? That's not a question. Some cons have banned bare feet. I was thinking of using stocking that don't go too high and making the black (if not bought that way) and putting those sole pain relievers in as the bottom to protect my feet. Good idea or horrible idea?
--I really do suggest flats, or slippers. You can get them cheap at wal-mart or store of choice in black.

BEHAVIOR:
1. Have any of you seen videos of cosplayers acting like the Witch PERFECTLY?
--I have, but it is few and far between. Some of them make me die a little inside when the screech. Please don't screech... she doesn't screech... or have a high pitched scream...
Don't be afraid to sit on the floor or ground. Cause last time I went to crown the witch, she wasn't propped up on her toes with her hands over her face crying. She was always sitting on her bum with her hands resting in front of her, occasionally wiping her "tears" away. The only time you really see her with her hands over her face is if she is walking or running away cause she didn't catch the survivor.

VOCALIZATION:
1. Best videos or mp3s of the Witch or Witch cosplayers sounding perfect like her, so I may practice as I listen?
--If anyone has some of mine I could toss some your way, but your best bet is playing the game and listening or find sound files from YouTube.

I hoped I helped =D
If you wanna see some of my stuff I have a lot of my old pictures on my old DeviantArt name LCDRTsukiMustang.deviantart.com
I have moved my cosplay to this account now though- Ashta-Nightrayne.deviantart.com

Feel free to stop on by, if you have any question feel free to ask.

Cosplay Line up

Ranger General Sylvanas Windrunner, Warcraft III

~+Next Con+~
Wizard World New Orleans Comic Con- Jan 28-29, 2012

My Deviant Art
Dead Cosplay Facebook Page

Last edited by Dead Cosplay : 11-28-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Dead Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Angel Miki
Imperfect Angel

Many great answers! Thank you so much! (Will update soon, but not now)