Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
IrohaNekomura

Spear

Hello everyone, Im going to be cosplaying kyoko sakura (from madoka magica) and I am making her spear. This is the first time I have ever made a prop. I plan on making the stick part out of pvc pipe and painting it. I tried to paint it tonight, but im stupid and used acrylic paint. It just fell off.. What paint/primer do you suggest using for painting pvc pipe?
Also, I need to make.. the pointy thingy part. How should I connect it to the pvc pipe, and how should I make it? Thanks.
http://images.puella-magi.net/b/b2/Kyouko_spear.png
^ Thats the weapon refrence. Im making the normal spear, not the one that comes apart.
IrohaNekomura is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Wash it with soapy water first. Dirt and random release agents used in the production process causes paint to not work well.

Then sand the entire surface lightly with 400 grit sandpaper. Wipe it with a clean rag to get off the dust.

After that, you can use most any primer, followed by most any paint you like. For further strength, give it a couple coats of clear paint, like Krylon Crystal Clear. Read and follow instructions on all your paint.

I'd make the tip from carved craft foam. You want to use something soft for safety. If you can't find a thick enough piece, you can glue together thinner pieces with spray glue or rubber cement. Carefully drill out a hole for the PVC, and rubber cement it in place.

Leave the tip of the PVC unpainted so the glue will stick better. Just wrap it in a bit of masking tape or painter's tape before painting. Then run a knife along the edge of the tape so you don't end up pulling up the paint, and pull off the tape slowly.
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Slackratchet
Path of most resistance.

Don't underestimate the value of the clear coat. Uncoated spray paint can rub off in as little as a days use.
Slackratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
IrohaNekomura

Thanks very much everyone. I got some primer and clear coat by some company that started with a k.. I think its krylex or something. XD I got some rubber cement, acrylic paint, sanding block, and some craft foam that was in the kids craft isle. Im worried I will screw something up though.. Should I just cut the foam in the shape of the spear? The foam is like.. a centimeter thick. Really, really small... Should I cut out cardboard then put the foam over it?
Thanks.
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
verdatum

A lot of it depends on your artistic/crafting ability. Personally, I don't have the talent to do any of it by eye. I have to draft all the cuts and angles and scribe it in pencil on the surface.

If you can avoid it, you don't want to just bend the craft foam so it curves around the pipe. You want a solid block that you carve to the desired shape. You do this by gluing layers of the 1cm foam together. If you cut a notch with just the right measurements out of the inside layers before gluing everything together, you can save yourself a lot of trouble with drilling out the cavity for the shaft.

You might want to try the techniques first using cardboard in place of the foam. If your result looks good, you'll be able to cut the foam with more confidence.
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
IrohaNekomura

Thank you! I just washed off the pipe with handsoap. The brand of clear paint are primer and called Rust-Oleom. Do I just spray on the primer after I sand it? Do I need to remove the letters on the pipe? Then can I just paint it with acrylic? Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by IrohaNekomura : 10-24-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
IrohaNekomura

Also, Do I prime it then right after paint it, or let it dry? And will this be safe to the touch after its all dry? Thanks. Im a scaredy cat.
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Always let it fully dry between coats. That way the primer has a good dry bond to the pvc before you add color. You could waste a lot of paint if it doesn't adhere to the pipe fully.

To limit fingerprints, try to suspend or prop up the spear when giving it the coats of primer, paint, and clear coat. Once the clear coat is dry, you should be able to handle it without leaving fingerprints or lifting the paint off. Again, just be sure to let each coat fully dry before moving on to the next. A greater number of thinner coats will also be better than just one really thick coat, which may chip easier and can run and leave you with drips or uneven-ness.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
verdatum

No you don't need to remove the letters from the pipe. You just need to sand the pipe enough to scuff it up and give the pipe a bit of "tooth" for the primer to be able to grip onto. After you wipe off the dust, yes, you can go straight to priming.

The primer should have instructions on how long to wait before applying the base-coat. Some varieties of paint have a small window that is the sweet spot, where the base-coat chemically bonds with the primer. If you miss that sweet spot, you have to wait longer for the primer to fully dry. However, If you are just using artist acrylics for the base coat, that doesn't really apply.

If you can spare the time, give the acrylic a day or so to fully cure before applying a clear coat. If you can't, the world won't end.
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
IrohaNekomura

Thanks everyone. I just put the second coat of primer on, but after I touch it, it feels like nothing at all is there. Like, its totally clear and feels no different from the pipe itself. Am I doing it right?
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
verdatum

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Does it look like there is zero paint on it? Did you see paint coming out of the can when you sprayed? If not, it is possible that you either did not sufficiently shake the can before applying, or you held the can at an odd angle, allowing the gas to escape without taking the paint with it. You could also be holding the can too far away from the surface.

As far as it "feeling" different, it probably won't feel terribly different from before. the "tooth" created by primer is mostly on the microscopic level. It should look like a layer of paint (in whatever color stated on the can) is on it, and it should be opaque enough to mostly cover up any writing on the pipe. The writing should either be completely invisible or fairly faint.

And btw, don't touch the surface too much. The oils from your hand act as a release-agent, preventing the next coat of paint from adhering optimally.
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
IrohaNekomura

I think I was holding it too far away.. But anyways, I got everthing primed. I have a headache from it, but thats ok. XD One of the last questions until I make the top of it, but I have to mix two colors of paint together to make the color I need. Im scared It might turn into a rainbow of different shades.. Can I just make a bunch of paint and put it in a plastic bag, or will it dry out in the bag?
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
verdatum

A headache is bad. You should be doing any spraypainting outside or in an open garage. When outside, paint facing downwind.

A properly sealed ziplock bag is fine, just put it somewhere very safe, like in an empty jar. Popping a bag of paint makes a fantastic mess. Mix your paint very thoroughly. I do this with a metal spatula on a piece of smooth clean glass. Smooth plastic is fine too.
Unread 10-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
IrohaNekomura

I just painted the whole thing. I let it dry about 5 minutes and I went to check but when I touched it with my fingernail it just came off.. It looked dry, but maybe acrylic takes a while to fully dry?I know the primer is on there. I could smell it, and I could see the primer come out. I gave it about 6 coats.... I hope I did it right. .-.

Last edited by IrohaNekomura : 10-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
verdatum

By definition, if you can smell anything, it isn't dry.
Your acrylic is water based. It takes longer to dry than spraypaint. Waiting for it to dry is about as much fun as...watching paint dry.