Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
UberSkoobz

Lich King/Arthas Death Knight

Hello Cosplay community. With Blizzcon 11 gone, I was inspired by people creations, especially the female Arthas costume I saw:

Well I want to do an Arthas costume as a Death knight, with the option of getting the helmet and completing it and being the lich king.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0...by_raneman.jpg

If I were to model my costume after any specific version of his armor, it would be of the one displayed in this image, which is my wallpaper for many many months as it is so bad ass:
http://www.gandex.ru/upl/oboi/gandex...-lich-king.jpg

I know how to acquire Frostmourne (the Lich King's sword) and I have 2 options, a Cruddy plastic one which I don't want but really cheap. A stainless steel one which isnt too detailed or convincing but it will do the trick for about $150 USD on ebay, or a real deal sword replica made from carbon steel. The cheapest of these bad boys is about $600 USD as they aren't made any more and highly desirable.

I am male by the way to clear up any confusions, I want a male Arthas suit, not the female one displayed above. Now my question to you guys is this, what would be the most suitable way of going about making this? The main factor is I AM A PERFECTIONIST. I have money to spend, but I would rather not if I can get it cheaper. My price cap would be about $1500 overall but that could inflate if I have to.

My options that I have researched:

Cardboard - yuck, please don't suggest this. I think it looks tacky, no matter how well done.

Plastic and plastic sheets - I like this idea and is easy to shape, but how would I put things like skulls in to the shoulder pads? I could get my hands on this stuff cheap of any kind. Another issue is will it look close or similar to metal, and will it look bulky and heavy like metal and is there a way to get around this if it doesn't. I have knowledge with moulds and stuff, but no real clue on how to do them.

Metal - I'm no blacksmith, but are there companies that do this sort of stuff? and is it way out of my price range, I would assume so. I live in New Zealand so the only company here that I think would do it is Weta Workshops, who did all the stuff for Lord of the Rings and King Kong and Master and Commander to name a few major movies. They also made props for the Halo movie that was cancelled that were awesome. I would be the happiest man ever though if I had a realistic Lich King armor set made of real metal and a carbon steel frostmourne to go with it, hell i'd attack little blue LED's and power it up to make it look even more authentic!

The guy who placed second in the years competition wore a sexy Paladin Judgement Armor set that I really like, which I think was made of plastic, and if my costume was close to that quality I would be happy with it.

I read all the stickies and I hope I put this in the right place and that I am not asking too much for my first post. I got all year till next Blizzcon, so I might as well get started now!

Last edited by UberSkoobz : 10-26-2011 at 05:29 PM.
UberSkoobz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
UberSkoobz

I realized how unclear I was, and I am actually going to give a question xD

What material should I make it out of, and given the issues with known ones that I have stated on the OP, how would I overcome these problems. I don't need a detailed explanation, maybe a link to a post that may help.

Also are there any lookalike pieces or armor or clothing that I could use or modify. As I live in New Zealand the stuff here is limited cosplay wise cause we don't have a community as large as the states and I can get friends to pick it up and ship it to me here.

So yeah any help appreciated cause all I know exactly how to do it get the sword and the cape and the leggings. I also may know where to get chainmail in New Zealand, and I have access to any kind of spray paint.
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

Right now is a great time to find skulls. you could start collecting them now to attach to armor pieces later and paint them once they are on.

Wonderflex is great to work with and you could shape it around a mold, into a negative mold gently. It gets very malleable when heated. For bigger pieces, people usually carve things out of expanding foam and cover them over with mache or clay. Wonderflex is also great for making armor pieces with the craft foam sandwich method. The key to making wonderflex look like metal armor is getting a smooth surface, which means lots of priming, probably with gesso to cover the wonderflex after it's shaped and then sanding it smooth.

I'm afraid I've got no idea where to buy anything pre-made, unless you want to commission the costume, which is to have a cosplayer make it for you. A good commissioner will take your price range, desired materials and make the costume for you, generally keeping you informed with progress pics and the like.

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Falinadin

Just to throw it out there, I'm not sure that Blizzcon security would allow a metal sword into the convention. The general rule is "if somebody were to accidentally get hit with it, would it hurt".
I would also generally stay away from using real metal for armor simply due to it's weight. But if you're used to it, it may not be a problem for you.
I will second what dbchan said. Wonderflex can do some great things. But no matter what kind of material you use, if it's going to end up being metallic you'll need to spend a lot of time sanding, filling, and priming to get it smooth. Personally I used gesso and light modeling paste over my armor.
Falinadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

I've probably already said it, but your armor looked SO GOOD Falina! It took me a couple days, but i figured out maiev=burlesque cenarius=falina. haha.

UberSkoobz, go look at Falina's maiev and you'll see what i'm talking about- it's flawless.

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Spiritwalker
Green (without envy)

I would also be careful about a metal sword, especially as you need to travel by air and a metal weapon might not jive with some security people at airports, even if it is in your luggage (I remember seeing UPS booths at some cons partially because attendees had to mail weapons they bought to their homes due to some issues like these, maybe laws have changed since then). I would also avoid metal altogether if you can as far as making full armor parts (it's really heavy, akward and hurts a lot if you trip or run into something/someone), unless you are using aluminum or something, and working with heavy metal is almost always going to be prohibitively expensive. There are several tricks professional cosplayers can do to get the desired effect you want while using other materials, as commissions are usually designed with at least some comfort and mobility in mind. I would not be able to tell you pricing as I try my best to make my own (or ask someone I know personally for help), but I am sure price is going to vary. I'd get to looking now if you want it by next year.

If you want to make it yourself, it will also take a while and might take several tries before you get it like you want, but it will probably be much cheaper, and you will feel a lot better about it when it does finally look just like you wanted. Dbchan's advice is great. This is the time of year for everything spooky like skulls and paint and wigs and capes.

Alter Egos:
Orc Warlock (WoW) 85% (revamping certain parts for 2013)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon) 100% (pics up soon)
James (Team Rocket) 100% (pics up soon)
Orc Shaman (WoW) 75% (revamping process)

Far Future/Dream Alter Egos:
Draenei Paladin (WoW)
Worgen Druid (WoW)
Galio (LoL)
and one more...
Spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Falinadin

Awww thanks dbchan! I wouldn't say its "flawless" haha, but I'm glad it came out good enough that people seemed to like it
Falinadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
UberSkoobz

I will look into this wonderflex, It looks expensive and there are many different makes and they do slightly different but very changing things, there is one that shrinks when heated, and one that bends when heated, which one are you suggesting?

Also there is a company in my country that does this sort of thing for movies and it looks amazing, they did all the armor for Lord of the Rings:
http://www.wetanz.com/
http://www.wetanz.com/armour-chainmaille/
It would be super awesome if I could get them to make me it, but I would probably need to win the lottery to afford a one off set of armor of that quality.

About the metal sword, it is stainless steel and unsharpened, designed for cosplay. And I have been places with more dangerous weapons, like me and my friend taking back a real Japanese Katana full sharpened from Japan. They would of taken it if we had more weapons but cause it was the only one we were allowed it because it is a souvineer. But then there is a Blizzcon rules. If I do make this and it is as bad ass as I want, I will just paraphrase a famous quote like, "Come then, Frostmourne Hungers." when they try to take it off me. That'll work right?

I appreciate the kindness you guys have displayed in helping me, some forums are not nearly this nice to new users asking so much.

Also know where I can get a realistic Arthas styled wig to look real, because I will grow my hair and dye it silver if needs be. And where would I get Death Knight colored contacts to match the color of his. Olive-Green eyes are quite different to Icy blue.
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
UberSkoobz

I will look into this wonderflex, It looks expensive and there are many different makes and they do slightly different but very changing things, there is one that shrinks when heated, and one that bends when heated, which one are you suggesting?

Also there is a company in my country that does this sort of thing for movies and it looks amazing, they did all the armor for Lord of the Rings:
http://www.wetanz.com/
http://www.wetanz.com/armour-chainmaille/
It would be super awesome if I could get them to make me it, but I would probably need to win the lottery to afford a one off set of armor of that quality.

About the metal sword, it is stainless steel and unsharpened, designed for cosplay. And I have been places with more dangerous weapons, like me and my friend taking back a real Japanese Katana full sharpened from Japan. They would of taken it if we had more weapons but cause it was the only one we were allowed it because it is a souvineer. But then there is a Blizzcon rules. If I do make this and it is as bad ass as I want, I will just paraphrase a famous quote like, "Come then, Frostmourne Hungers." when they try to take it off me. That'll work right?

I appreciate the kindness you guys have displayed in helping me, some forums are not nearly this nice to new users asking so much.

Also know where I can get a realistic Arthas styled wig to look real, because I will grow my hair and dye it silver if needs be. And where would I get Death Knight colored contacts to match the color of his. Olive-Green eyes are quite different to Icy blue.

EDIT:
found these cheap
http://www.fashion-contactlenses.com...ses-600-0.html
thoughts?

Last edited by UberSkoobz : 10-28-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
essex1984

Its good to see you doing alot of research, how ever the first stop on any costume once you have a good idea of what you want to do is a budget.

Wonderflex is a fantastic material and is great for creating armor. There are many options for creating a high caliber costume but still being very frugal.

Expanding foam plus paperclay or magic scuplt can be used for almost every piece.

I know you have your eyes set on movie quality over the top huge, but make sure you ground your aspirations in your skill set and always be proud of the work you do.
Arms, Armor, and Awesome!
essex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
UberSkoobz

Still unsure of the type of wonderflex you are talking about, and I will looks at this expanding foam and these other things you say. I don't expect to make movie quality myself, or anything close to it, which is why I keep suggesting these other companies and asking if anyone knew anyone that had something to do with it or knew where I could get something done affordable. As I have stated I would like to spend max $1500 US dollars overall, including the sword but if needs be I will work extra hard at my job and spend at the very most $5000.

Anyone have any knowledge on how much it would cost to make a full set of detailed armor (for materials and machinery use), and then the cost of labor put on top of that? If it is withing the 5 grand budget I would certainty get that. I have no issue with carrying/wear/transporting metal armor and swords across the world and to wear it all day. I see it as a challenge
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Athielian

Instead of spending a small fortune you can easily get cheap fabrics and supplies to build your armor. Plus it's more fun when you make it yourself. The trial and error learning process is fun and invaluable. I personally learned from these tutorials:
http://www.kamuicosplay.com/p/tutorials.html

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper...helmsdeep.html

Kamui has great tutorials on pretty much everything you need to know for armor.

My first cosplay cost about $160 including supplies like cutting mats,long rulers, and noob sewing kits since it was my first costume. I ended up buying double the amount of leather I actually needed.

Comicon 2011 - Kato
Blizzcon 2011 - Diablo 3 Wizard
ALA 2012 - The Great Saiyaman
Athielian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Kagato
Madman Without A Box

I'm curious if the cosplayer pictured in the initial post is portraying a female version of Arthas, or the Lich Queen Jaina Proudmore from the Stormrage book?

UberSkoobz - I'll echo the suggestion to avoid metal weapons, you might be able to get them in past security, but it would be a shame to invest so much money only to be required to leave it behind. There are a number of excellent tutorials for creating prop weapons from wood, plastic, foam and even cardboard. I would also suggest you avoid metal armor, it will either be to heavy or if you use lighter metal, it can look flimsy. A lot can be done with a careful paint job.

Anime Expo 2009: Valkyria Chronicles Squad Leader (Squad 13)
Anime Expo 2008: Captain Harlock

Blog: HyperionEdge
Kagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Cjiadon
Ooh...soft.

I believe she is indeed a female version of Arthas.

Interested in chainmaille jewelry or anime/video game inspired clothing? Then check out my Etsy Store, Lotus Chainmaille.
Cjiadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

the only "kinds" of wonderflex that I'm aware of are a texture difference (smooth vs. textured). I've never heard of a wonderflex that shrinks when heated, just that one that becomes malleable when heated. You would definitely want the latter!

echoing the sentiment about armor and real metal- No matter how epic it looks, it will suck if you spend all the money on it and can't bring it into the con. The security is going to err on the side of caution and blizzcon security can be strict. They almost turned stonerender away, and it's made of foam and clay.

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."