Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Rules for a Hotel room

So, My girlfriend and I are deciding to make a set of rules for those who decide to have room-mates in their next hotel room. Since, of course the one thing that could ruin a trip first off are your ROOMATES. I've had a share of con drama in the first convention, and i'd like to know if anyone can help us come up with some boundary rules for a hotel room.

Things I can think of:

Don't bring in strangers.
No Drugs, alcohol or anything illegal.
Don't wander off on your own the entire time, ignoring your room-mates.
Don't go for only ONE fandom. (happened to me, so felt left out :/)
Try to help out with the costs of the trip.
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

*Share space; figure out a system so every one has the space necessary to be reasonably comfortable.

*Be tidy; keep your stuff to one or two designated areas (by bed, on table, in closet); clean up after you make a mess.

*Ask permission before touching/moving some one else's stuff.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Here's some of my rules for roommates

If the room is reserved by me, what I says goes in the room. If you object then make other arrangements.

Everyone in the room must pay their (non refundable) share (room plus taxes/fees) 2 weeks before the con. Anyone who does not pay before the deadline does not have room.

Only I can invite people to stay in the room. If there are spots available I will consider friends of roommates as potential roommates.

Everyone is responsible for making their own transportation arrangements to and from the con. Everyone provides their own food/snacks, I won't feed you if you spend all your money in the Dealer's room.

Everyone must follow all Federal/State/Local laws and con rules. Breaking laws will get the offender kicked out and never invited to room with me again. Breaking con or room rules will lead to a warning or if severe kicked out of the room.

Priority for bathroom use is con staff/volunteers before their shifts, panelists/Masquerade contestants, and everyone else.

If you have any medical issues make sure at least one other person in the room knows.

Probably forgetting the rest.
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Keep the rules limited to logistics-related matters: social stuff is not hard-and-fast the way that paying for the room is and shouldn't be considered the same way. That's only asking for trouble.

makotohanabi covered pretty much everything that I'd say, with the exception that I wouldn't bother scheduling bathroom time and don't mind communal room-food. One additional thing, though: I'm pretty casual about nudity. Some people are too, some are bothered a lot by that. Roommates ought to have a discussion on it ahead of time and any strong opinions should be voiced before people pack.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
HidingintheMist
A lion still has claws

Common sense and manners are a must for me with any roommates. That, and hygiene.

Stay tidy, and don't hog the bathroom. Be courteous of other people's belongings, and if its late: be quiet, especially if people are trying to sleep!

Edit: Don't get up and crank the AC in the middle of the night.

Last edited by HidingintheMist : 11-01-2011 at 09:01 PM.
HidingintheMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Cons are chock full of excitement and late night events, and hotels add to the atmosphere of an epic sleep-over party. Have fun, but please remember that YOU DO NOT OWN THE HOTEL and THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE AROUND YOU WHO ARE MOST LIKELY TRYING TO SLEEP.

Your rent of a room for the night is conditional upon you complying with the regulations and policies of the hotel, their insurance plan, and the fire marshal. They have the right to revoke or cancel that rental at any time, with just cause. Noise at 3:30 AM leading to complaints from other hotel patrons? You bet that's just cause.

Keep your smarts about you, be mindful of the other guests, pay your share of the bill, and for goodness sake, if you had chili for dinner, courtesy flush, and you'll probably do just fine.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Kama

Most people have said what I would want to list. But I'd add putting consequences in the rules. You are hopefully not rooming with gradeschoolers, so they don't have to be ridiculous consequences like standing in the corner but make it clear what happens. "If you are in the room with alcohol, we will make you get rid of it" or "If you do something illegal, you will find somewhere else to sleep and you will not get a refund" are actually quite useful. For some people "Don't bring a minor in for sexual relations" isn't the same as "If you bring in a minor for sexual relations, I will throw you and your stuff out of my room." Remember, if the room is in your name you are legally accountable for what goes on in that room.
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

This problem came up in my hotel room last year.

If you take prescription medication, remember to take it and don't take anyone else's medication.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

1. No cuddling with belligerent. You have cooties.
2. Nobody is allowed to be more drunk than belligerent.
3. There will be no music that is not metal. This excludes ringtones unless they are nickelback.
4. No clothes items endorsing nickelback will be allowed in the room.
5. No fires in rooms that don't have fireplaces.
666. SATAN.
7. No grazing animals.
8. Room payment is to be paid in $1 bills in case we are invaded by alien strippers.
9. Don't lick people's feet without their written consent.
10. Kill all spiders immediately.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
TR Rose
Meowing About

I've learned to room only with people I know pretty well. We don't have a ton of rules, but what we have works.

- Everyone will shower daily.
- Room cost is divided evenly among roomies.
- Ask before eating/drinking things you didn't bring (pretty much a given, as most people announce while unpacking what things are up from grabs). Contribute to the food/drink stash if you want to eat from it.

We're all adults, so there is usually some alcohol involved. I did have a rule one year that if you get yourself stupid drunk, you sleep in the bathtub. Thankfully, I've never had a problem with the roomies I've had.

It's also a good idea to room with people you share convention attitudes with. People who like to drink a whole lot, have tons of visitors in the room, and stay up late should room together. People who call it a night at 9pm won't have as much fun rooming with party folks. You can still be awesome friends if you don't room together, it's nothing personal but like-minded people make the best roomies. ^^

I've never had any concerns about not hanging out with your roommates. If you hang out, awesome. But if not, cool as well. Fandoms and photoshoots don't always overlap.
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
RinoaShadow
An utter Parasmore ;p

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
1. No cuddling with belligerent. You have cooties.
2. Nobody is allowed to be more drunk than belligerent.
3. There will be no music that is not metal. This excludes ringtones unless they are nickelback.
4. No clothes items endorsing nickelback will be allowed in the room.
5. No fires in rooms that don't have fireplaces.
666. SATAN.
7. No grazing animals.
8. Room payment is to be paid in $1 bills in case we are invaded by alien strippers.
9. Don't lick people's feet without their written consent.
10. Kill all spiders immediately.
Sharing a room with you sounds like real fun.

Unread 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinoaShadow View Post
Sharing a room with you sounds like real fun.

...holy crap. I love that gif. ANTM is gif worthy. lol

Most of the good stuff has been covered.

~ Share cell phone numbers - in case of emergency, room key/card losses, etc.

~ Everyone showers and uses deodorant, but don't use the overly flowery stuff. Some roommates may have allergies that you're unaware of.

~ Not everyone that goes to a con will cosplay. Check with roommates to make sure that they're ok with you bringing more stuff then normal if you're cosplaying. (Because it does happen, lol)

~ Designate a corner for props (this has worked out for me a few times since props can be large and take up a lot of space).

~ The hotel is not personal property. Should be obvious, but it never ceases to fail that someone breaks something or fire alarms are pulled every night. If you wouldn't break it at home, don't break it at the hotel. Be upfront with your roommates that childish behavior won't be tolerated and if they're caught doing something stupid, you'll report them.

~~ Followup: Don't be afraid to report your roommate if they break/destroy hotel property or do the firealarm pulls. Crap like that is partially why prices go up and more rules are put in place by the con/hotel.

Mostly it's just making sure there's common sense amongst all roommates. And as TR Rose mentioned, try to get a group of people that have similar habits. Those who like to go to bed before midnight probably wouldn't work best with a room of people that want to stay up until 5 am in party mode.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt

Last edited by tifaia : 11-02-2011 at 10:52 AM.
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
MagdaleneDaae

My rules are:

1. The Captain Morgan is mine and Pickle's. We bought it. You can have some, but god help you if you drink all of it, we will kill you in your face.

2. EAT THE FUCKING BAKED GOODS! You asked me to make you brownies, cupcakes, cookies what have you for six months leading up to the con, I made enough for everyone to have two or three over the course of four days, eat them or I'm not making them again. My name is not, nor has it ever been Nell Lovett, it's not my job to bake shit for you guys if you're not gonna eat it.

3. Just kidding...I'm not mad, I love you guys...Group hug!

4. Seriously, though, put on headphones while you're watching your hentai, some people find it grating.

5. If you're cosplaying as an orc, stay still while I liquid latex and spirit gum you. They charge us for damages if it looks like Slimer threw up all over the place, you know.

6. I worked hard on your costumes, there are drawers and closet space for a reason! I don't care if you did pay for it, pick it up and put it away when you're done.

7. If someone is sleeping on the floor, don't leave the Captain directly above them. It'll fall. It's happened before. I keep telling you this.

8. If you're doing something on your own, bring your cell phone, you're entitled to have a good time too, but don't worry everyone by making it impossibly to find you.

9. If worse comes to worse and your cell breaks, everyone has a room key, head back to the room by sundown to regroup.

To be honest, most of the shouty insane bipolar rules are more mostly joking guidelines between friends, the main rules are those involving courtesy, safety and cleanliness.
"I did not spend centuries feasting on the souls of the righteous to play typing games with the functionally illiterate."-Kil'Jaeden, Scourge Chat Log #1
MagdaleneDaae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
Cloud_Ninja
Procrastanator Extrodinar

The rules we had the last time there was a joint room were

• Inform everyone in the room of any medical conditions, no matter how unimportant they could be, this includes mental conditions, phobias, allergies asthma or heart problems and any medication you need to take. DO NOT HIDE SOMEONE'S MEDS IT ISN'T FUNNY NOR WILL IT EVERY BE.
• ^^^^^ sleep walks. Because of this the door will be locked at 12 pm and all keys handed over to ***** once you return to the room for good. Also don't be panic if she ends up in your bed cuddling up. Calmly and as quietly as possible get *****'s attention and she will get her back in the proper bed or wake her.
• Don't touch what isn't your's. If you break something that does not belong to you, you will be expexted to mend it or if you can't fix it, you WILL be expected replace it.
• Don't touch others without permission unless you are already close to them. Some of us don't like strange people touching us.
• Everyone is expected to bring or pay for their own food. If you blow all your money on merchandise, you will go hungry.
• Payment for the room must be given to ***** before ******. If you miss the deadline you must make your own arrangements. Cost for the room will be split evenly between everyone and will not be refunded if you can't come or make other plans.
• Sleeping arrangements will be made once everyone has paid. It will not be changed once decided.
• Don't invite others to stay in the room without first consulting *****.
• Don't steal ^^^^^'s pants. It wasn't funny last year and it won't be funny this year.
• Obey the rules of the hotel, the convention and don't break the law. You will be kicked out and/or reported if you do.
• You will follow ***** and ^^^^^'s instructions.
• *****'s car only holds seven people. She will give a ride up under a 'first in, best dressed' policy, otherwise you must find your own way up. You will be expected to drive yourself up if you own a car and have a lisence and will be expected to offer displaced members of the group a ride.
• Don't whine or complain and at least try to be pleasant to everyone within the group. Don't ruin everyone's fun just because you're in a sour mood.

Working On

Companion Cube gijinka - Portal
Red Pyro - Team Fortress 2
Meulin Leijon - Homestuck
Cloud_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

My rules:

--Do not think that because we *only* have 4 people in a room with two queen beds that you can bring in random people or assume it's okay to tell somebody they can stay. We room together this way because we like our COMFORT and are willing to pay a bit extra for it.

--If you have a lot of preparation to do that involves the bathroom, wake up early to get it done. Do not wait until everybody is mad rushing and has places to be. Or, if you have a problem with somebody using the mirrors/sinks when you're showering, wake up early and get it done. Adding to that, be courteous and let the person with the 9 am panel get a shower first, etc.

--Girls only in my rooms. I don't care how long you've been going out with XXX, if you're married or WHUT, no your 'man' can't stay. I am not being "immature" by levying this rule. It's a comfort thing when I/somebody else walks to the bathroom at 3 am in her undies with no bra on or walk around in a towel getting ready.

--Drawer and closet space is to be used; don't throw your shit on the floor and leave it there. Don't steal other people's closet or drawer space unless they say it's okay.

--+++ All common sense stuff already mentioned: be quiet if people are sleeping, pick up after yourself, don't expect others in the room to pay your way, money up front if I don't know you, and please, please...shower daily!
[/color][/size]
alliebeth is offline   Reply With Quote