Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
magealexis

Troll Hands

Does anyone have any experience making troll hands?

I've done some googling, and come up with varying means of constructing latex and silicone gloves, but almost nothing to create three fingered gloves where the digits will be quite longer than my own.

If anyone has done anything like this I'd love some input.
magealexis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Reformed Tomboy
Relapses Happen

Well, I don't know anything about latex or silicone, but I made three-fingered gloves for my Ysera costumes. I traced my hand with my index and middle fingers together, and my ring and pinky fingers together and made a pattern from there. I'm not sure if "regular" gloves will work for you, or if you really wanted to go latex.
Reformed Tomboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
magealexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Tomboy View Post
Well, I don't know anything about latex or silicone, but I made three-fingered gloves for my Ysera costumes. I traced my hand with my index and middle fingers together, and my ring and pinky fingers together and made a pattern from there. I'm not sure if "regular" gloves will work for you, or if you really wanted to go latex.
I'd be happy to look into a cloth based alternative-I'm just not sure how I'd make it look 'real' on top of cloth. Your costume gloves looked great. You were using chain and scales on top of the glove though. Any suggestions as to making it look like a troll on top of cloth?

Edit: Also, what did you use for your nails/claws?

Last edited by magealexis : 11-02-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Reformed Tomboy
Relapses Happen

I sewed the scales on, so this is what they looked like beforehand: In the second pic, the claws are in, but not glued yet. Just to give you an idea. Also, I used leather, but cloth would work too I'd imagine.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3009491/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3009490/

I then glued giant claws onto the ends, but you'll probably want to find smaller claws, or make fake nails somehow. Paint or weathering might work to make it look like skin (adding wrinkles, etc).
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
magealexis

Quote:
I sewed the scales on, so this is what they looked like beforehand: In the second pic, the claws are in, but not glued yet. Just to give you an idea. Also, I used leather, but cloth would work too I'd imagine.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3009491/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3009490/

I then glued giant claws onto the ends, but you'll probably want to find smaller claws, or make fake nails somehow. Paint or weathering might work to make it look like skin (adding wrinkles, etc).
Yeah, those look great. As I said earlier though, I don't see what I could sew on to replicate troll skin. Chain and scales will obviously not work in my case, even though it looked great for you.

Here are some reference pics:

http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/imag...%27jin_Wei.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/imag...Voljin_TCC.jpg
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
magealexis

I posted twice this morning, both went to 'moderation'...

Seeing if this goes through now?

Edit: Weird, wonder what happened to those other posts.

Anyways...

As I mentioned earlier, what did you make your claws out of?

And yes, I saw your lovely gloves with mail and scales. That won't work for troll hands, so my question was if there was anything anyone knows of to make troll looking hands on top of cloth or if I'm stuck looking at latex or similar still.

Thanks!

Images for reference:
http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/imag...%27jin_Wei.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/imag...Voljin_TCC.jpg

Last edited by magealexis : 11-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Reformed Tomboy
Relapses Happen

I bought my claws; they are made of resin.

I know it won't work the same, which is why I suggested painting the cloth, or weathering them somehow, which can lead to good results. You could make nails out of plastic (like those plastic ornament balls) and attach them to the end of the glove. Obviously, you'd need your own glove pattern.
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
magealexis

Quote:
I bought my claws; they are made of resin.

I know it won't work the same, which is why I suggested painting the cloth, or weathering them somehow, which can lead to good results. You could make nails out of plastic (like those plastic ornament balls) and attach them to the end of the glove. Obviously, you'd need your own glove pattern.
Interesting idea for the nails. I think it will depend on whether I go with the more human look or the more claw type look. (see those two images for reference). I'd like to attempt the more claw shaped one, but for now I'm focusing on getting the gloves down-I figure that attaching claws can come later.

On that note, I think I know what I want to attempt this weekend-if there's any place around me that carries liquid latex...
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Suzanne

Hey, new here
Saw this thread and wanted to share my Troll hands.

They aren't longer than my own fingers, but I plan to make better and more detailed ones this year.

I made a copy of my own hands with, I think it's called plaster (not sure), then I used simple clay to make it the shape I wanted. After that I poured liquid rubber over it.
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Pazuzu
disagrees.

I found these a while back when thinking about Troll cosplay:
http://www.frightstudios.com/fullmask.html
At the bottom left there, Three Fingered Monster Glove.
Unfortunately I don't think the site is alive anymore ("-1830 days until Halloween" xD), and looks kinda sketch, but knowing that they exist, maybe elsewhere sells them...
Unread 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
magealexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
Hey, new here
Saw this thread and wanted to share my Troll hands.

They aren't longer than my own fingers, but I plan to make better and more detailed ones this year.

I made a copy of my own hands with, I think it's called plaster (not sure), then I used simple clay to make it the shape I wanted. After that I poured liquid rubber over it.
Those look great. That's what I'm figuring I'll have to do to make my gloves.

From what you're saying it seems that you didn't make an exterior mold though?

I figured I'd have to do a hand positive, craft with clay and cast an exterior negative, then use liquid latex or cold foam or something to pour in between. I'm curious how you did it without the exterior negative.
Unread 11-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
Suzanne

Thank you
I was a bit in a hurry to finish these gloves, so I didn't make the exterior negative mold (will do when I make new ones).
The nails I made with some left-over leather bits, I poured the liquid rubber directly over it.
The details are painted on, so it doesn't have structure. Not as pretty as when you do make the exterior negative. But this was my first try ever making gloves, so I did this to not make the costs for these gloves any higher since I was just figuring things out
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote