Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Tabby-chan
Aka: Natsuno Yuuki

critique the person above you on something

hey, ive seen the other threads about say something nice or the gallery viewings about the person who posts before you, and i thought this might be nice too. i figured we could all go through the posters gallery who posted above you and suggest something you think they can improve on and maybe a tip to help. i know i need to work on many things but sometimes i do believe it helps when someone points something out that maybe you didnt realize before or you didnt know how to fix it, and with a friendly tip we can all make our cosplays a bit better? :3

keep in mind this is ment for helping fellow cosplayers, so none of that "your wig is UGLY fix it!" or anything mean like that :/

because i am the OP im not sure what i can really say so i guess i will comment on myself. one thing i know i need to work on is my makeup. i have been practicing a lot since i last posted pictures of my ciel cosplay and i have new and better products, but there is still work to be done :3 to help myself get better at applying makeup i have a few tutorials im going to try out in my spare time.

Edit: Hanyaan mentioned in her post "I think that this thread should probably specify that unless otherwise requested by the poster, critique should focus on only the most relatively recent galleries/photos/costumes posted. It's better to do that than to tell people to fix things they've already learned to fix."

and i agree with that, so i figured i should put this in the OP :3

Last edited by Tabby-chan : 11-02-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Tabby-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

First off I LOVE YOU FOR THIS. No matter how good you are at cosplaying (or anything else even vaguely involving artistic expression), you can always improve. The day someone stops needing critique is the day they stop creating stuff. Period.

So I have two critiques. One: I think that this thread should probably specify that unless otherwise requested by the poster, critique should focus on only the most relatively recent galleries/photos/costumes posted. It's better to do that than to tell people to fix things they've already learned to fix. This is just my opinion, though!

Second for you in specific, I agree that your makeup could use some work. You have beautifully shaped eyes that tend to vanish in photos. Since the "obvious eyeliner as a male character" thing should only happen if your character actually wears tons of eyeliner, I suggest you get some very dark brown eyeliner and look up tutorials for tightlining your upper lid. Line your lower lids with some very subtle lighter brown liner, and put on some light brown eyeshadow and a touch of clear mascara. It'll help your eyes pop without looking like you're wearing tons of makeup! You may also want to get some very subtle blush for your cheeks and some bronzer around your jawline. It's tricky sometimes when you're pale because it's hard to walk the line between "washing yourself out in photos because your costume and wig stand out more than you do" and "wearing enough makeup that you look really dumb".
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
rinchansflower
Ukraine

I'll take a bite, and of course more then happy to have any kind of critque on my end to improve!

Hanyaan - You're a tough one to critique but you mentioned your Idolmaster costume. I don't really know the character, but it seems like in every photo you're doing this waving pose. I think it would create more variety if you find more then just that default post (which I know is hard, because I always like to go to HANDS ON HIPS when I can't think of anything). Does the character have any props? Maybe find a prop or a Mic to pose with? And the makeup is pretty basic. Again, I don't really know the character, but maybe use a nice pink or a light red lip to make the character just a bit more feminine. Some of the photos (probably because of the lighting) some of the details on your face get washed out, so maybe get a nice pink or light red blush to make it stand out a bit more.

I can't really say too much else...you're a fabulous cosplayer, and your crossplays are seriously fantastic. I love your Ivan the most!
rinchansflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Tabby-chan

@rinchansflower, i do not know Lucy Stillman, but i looked up some photos of her to compare, and i hope i found the right pictures DX lol but the only thing i see that i think i can critique on would be the wig. it appears that her bangs swoop to one side and she has a little bit of hair that hangs infront of her ears. while your wig is a beautiful color and the bangs are adorable, i think swooping them and using a little hairspry to keep them in place would help a bit as well as a little bit o hair to fall infront of your ears and frame the face. (now this is assuming you are cosplaying the version of the pictures i found of her since i do not know the character DX)
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
rinchansflower
Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby-chan View Post
@rinchansflower, i do not know Lucy Stillman, but i looked up some photos of her to compare, and i hope i found the right pictures DX lol but the only thing i see that i think i can critique on would be the wig. it appears that her bangs swoop to one side and she has a little bit of hair that hangs infront of her ears. while your wig is a beautiful color and the bangs are adorable, i think swooping them and using a little hairspry to keep them in place would help a bit as well as a little bit o hair to fall infront of your ears and frame the face. (now this is assuming you are cosplaying the version of the pictures i found of her since i do not know the character DX)
You're right, the bangs are really off. But thank you! If I ever cosplay her again sometime I'll be sure to go in and fix up the bangs a bit, maybe find or buy a different wig (because the one there...haha man that thing was a mess).
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Rinchansflower: Tabby already mentioned one of the things I was going to write with the wig. I think your work is pretty darn solid. One thing that could make your overall look even more polished is slightly more dramatic makeup for your eyes. I feel like you could really emphasize them and completely change the look. Unfortunately there's that fine balance between too little and too much when it comes to eye makeup but I think if you stick with neutral tones and practice adding a bit of depth, maybe thickening up brown or brown/black eyeliner it could ultimately draw even more attention to your eyes which are very pretty. Outright black eyeliner looks like it would be a very harsh look given your complexion though.

None of the characters I saw in your gallery strike me as the types that need crazy makeup so, a little bit more than you already use could go a long way. You might also want to use powder to cut shine. Camera flashes are always harsh on the skin, but they also pick up even the slightest shine like nobody's business.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
xSYN
syn haedas.

rinchansflower:
i hope you don't mind me commenting on Clover, it's the first character i recognised off your most recent photos!
your ponytails are a little bit indistinct from the rest of your hair-- they're quite full but i think the bases could be puffed up a fair bit so they're more visible. also i can't quite see the paler pink streaks Clover is supposed to have. i can tell they're supposed to be there, because i can see a lighter pink at the tips of the ponytails, but i can't quite see them in the rest of the hair.
what did you use for the dots on Clover's cheek? it looks like just makeup? i suggest getting small rhinestones/gems and sticking those on instead-- pale pink or silver would work.
i think the green lines on your bow and skirt could stand to be thinner as well, they're a little too thick. it looks alright but the green is really stark against the red.
lastly, i also think you could have used slightly longer fur for the white parts of her legwarmers.
you make a gorgeous Clover though!

(if i could, makeup and posing crit would be amazing.)

EDIT: WELP SLOW AGAIN, good job syn.
Ion:
jfc you were right when you called it "Tales of We-don't-know-what-colors-to-use-so-we-will-use-them-ALL" LOL.
anyway, i think the shoulders of your Alvin coat aren't as distinct as they are in the reference images. i know, i know, measuring to fit the wearer and all that, but i think even an additional inch on each shoulder would help them look a little more appropriately broader (if that even makes sense?). the scarf could also be a little bit longer or the orange bits could be shortened.
also your eyebrows in the photos of that costume kind of disappear at the middle of your eyes, and they look like half-brows. Alvin's extends to the outer corner of his eyes and they look black, or at least a couple of shades darker than his hair. yours are the opposite.
all in all though your cosplay is amazing and i kind of really want that coat. ;;

Last edited by xSYN : 11-02-2011 at 08:56 PM.
xSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
rinchansflower
Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Rinchansflower: Tabby already mentioned one of the things I was going to write with the wig. I think your work is pretty darn solid. One thing that could make your overall look even more polished is slightly more dramatic makeup for your eyes. I feel like you could really emphasize them and completely change the look. Unfortunately there's that fine balance between too little and too much when it comes to eye makeup but I think if you stick with neutral tones and practice adding a bit of depth, maybe thickening up brown or brown/black eyeliner it could ultimately draw even more attention to your eyes which are very pretty. Outright black eyeliner looks like it would be a very harsh look given your complexion though.

None of the characters I saw in your gallery strike me as the types that need crazy makeup so, a little bit more than you already use could go a long way. You might also want to use powder to cut shine. Camera flashes are always harsh on the skin, but they also pick up even the slightest shine like nobody's business.
Haha man I'm really sort of plain when it comes to doing makeup, but thank you for the tips. I'll definetly take these things into account whenever I start doing more stuff in the future. I'm still sort of a noobie when it comes to that sort of stuff.

xSYN - The paler streets are there...but I think in most of photos I have, you can't really see them. I could probably try and emphasize them a bit more at least so they're more noticable. And for the dots on her face I did just use regular makeup. I wasn't too crazy about using jewels ore whatever because they didn't look like that in the game. But I suppose you can't really see too much what I did on my face!
But thank you!
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Tabby-chan

@ xSYN, im loving your sebastian cosplay! the wig is epic. what i think would make your cosplay better though is slightly darken your eyebrows a bit more, while they are dark they seem to be a bit lost in the photos. so i think a shade or 2 would make them stand out more. i also think maybe slightly more eyeliner on the waterline to make your eyes stand out a bit more (this however is my personal taste in the sebastian cosplayer look).
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
icametodance
Banned

This thread... It's so beautiful.
icametodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Tabby-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodance View Post
This thread... It's so beautiful.
haha thanks XD i hope it helps people :3
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
icametodance
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby-chan View Post
haha thanks XD i hope it helps people :3
I think it will as long as it stays on topic. I'd critique but I don't have anything to be critiqued. I support this thread 100% though!
icametodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
-Nayami-
Makai tenjou!

This thread is awesome. *thumbs up*

Tabby-chan - I think my biggest critique for you would just be that I'd like to see some more variety in photos. I'd like to see some more planned photoshoot type photos that can really show off your costume instead of just snapshots from cons. Expand that portfolio and show your stuff! I also agree with the points that hanyaan hit on - don't be afraid to bring out your eyes a bit more! It really struck me with Ciel, as he is illustrated with such intense eyes - doing a bit more defining would really help your eyes pop even more.
Son Goku - Dragonball Z

@NayamiP
-Nayami- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Chaoticthorns

I like the thread idea, and also would like feed back but I am really bad at critiquing other people since i am new to sewing and everything....
Chaoticthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
Stina006
Even in darkness...

^^^^^ Mind if I jump in and critique you a little bit? : >
I'd actually like to say some things about your Yuna since she's really the only character I really 'know'.
First of all, the colors are fantastic! I love how you did your sleeves! It's also really inspiring that you made the whole damn thing a one piece considering mine is like....10 pieces. Really impressive.
The White I see coming out from your skirt is a bit distracting, but that can easily be fixed.
The Obi looks a bit scrunched up, since it's an actual obi it should look very straight, you know? Not all that bendy; then again it IS a one piece.
The lotus should be to the far left.
and the hair is a tad shorter, with a little bit of bang coming out to the far left as well.
YOU PLUSHIE IS ADORABLE OMGSKDLACN
me next me next!
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon

Last edited by Stina006 : 11-02-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: I love this thread
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote