Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #31
MagdaleneDaae

xSYN- Your Sebastian is truly wonderful, however perhaps the wig could be a touch darker? Sebastian's hair is normally shown as raven black. The style is absolutely perfect and the costume is tasteful, elegant and well done, but the wig is a bit brown. I hope that doesn't come off as too rude, I know you must have worked hard.

EDIT: Oh and trust me, it was really hard to find something to critque, I just picked your Sebastian because of all your costumes, Black Butler is the fandom I'm most familiar with.
"I did not spend centuries feasting on the souls of the righteous to play typing games with the functionally illiterate."-Kil'Jaeden, Scourge Chat Log #1
MagdaleneDaae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #32
mentokjebus

Stina: On Mei: For how popular FMA is, you don't see many core characters cosplayed alot. Scar, Mei, Greed, Ling Yao, etc. Props for cosplaying Mei! The biggie here is not even your fault... you are just too tall/developed for the character. You can get around that by making your outfit baggier to give the illusion your body is smaller. Works for all the Toph cosplayers I see, don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

On a non-politically correct note, you are not Asian and Mei Chang is. Consider using some eyeliner to give your eyes a more oriental look.

for Yuna: can't put my finger on it, but something is not right about the hairstyle... Could it be that your hair is the right length but is too thick?
mentokjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #33
mentokjebus

Damn I was replying to the first page, not the last post...

Magdalene: on Sally Whitemane:

As usual your WoW cosplays are great, and any little flaw is just nitpicking...

the light in those photos make it look like fabric paint on the red. If you wanted to go the extra mile, use an emboidery tool and go to town. it looks really fancy
mentokjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #34
xSYN
syn haedas.

skip please, just responding to a reply.
@MagdaleneDaae
my Sebastian wig is actually black ^^; in the costume icon and a couple of the photos it looks browner because of the filters i was playing with.
i also can't take credit for the costume, i bought it secondhand from another cosplayer back in Asia a few years ago, i only just got around to shooting the costume this year. the wig and the bad photoediting is basically the only thing i can take credit for.
thank you for the critique anyway!
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #35
-Nayami-
Makai tenjou!

To whoever is after me - SKIP ME!

@xSYN - I don't do a lot of high angle shots because I'm very very short xD (I'm only 5'2). That's also why my torso looks so stubby, haha. I tried to have the belt sit a little lower, but then my legs looked way to stumpy, which made me look even shorter than I already am.

Yeah, that mask is a little too big for my face. The original work-up was about the right size, but by the time I added all the layering above it, it became too big. Lesson lived and learned, I suppose!

Thanks for the helpful critiques!!
Son Goku - Dragonball Z

@NayamiP
-Nayami- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #36
MagdaleneDaae

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentokjebus View Post
Damn I was replying to the first page, not the last post...

Magdalene: on Sally Whitemane:

As usual your WoW cosplays are great, and any little flaw is just nitpicking...

the light in those photos make it look like fabric paint on the red. If you wanted to go the extra mile, use an emboidery tool and go to town. it looks really fancy
Skip me please, just responding!

Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually considering going over it in gold leafing to be honest since I've never been good at hand embroidering and my machine is fickle, though if my girlfriend has time, I may hand it over to her since she's an expert at embroidering among other things. Thanks!

@xSYN: Sorry >.< the lighting threw me off, but again, there wasn't much room for critique even if you didn't make it it's a great costume and there's nothing wrong with buying.
"I did not spend centuries feasting on the souls of the righteous to play typing games with the functionally illiterate."-Kil'Jaeden, Scourge Chat Log #1
MagdaleneDaae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #37
Nikineko
Emergency Induction Port

mentokjebus
First of all LOL at you thumbs up poses!!! ^_^ Ok, I enjoyed looking at your costumes. Critiquing-wise (gosh I suck at this) overall, you have some great costumes, they look finished and clean. I personally like the yellow fabric from the dumpster with your Zuko cosplay. You portray the characters well with facial expressions and body language. One thing that I would have really liked to see were some more photos! You have a lot of convention photos, but you can really show off your costumes with private photo shoots.
Nikineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #38
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

Nikineko - You have some pretty awesome costumes! I think the two things you need to work on a bit are makeup and proportioning. Several of your outfits (the Seras in particular) look like they're more proportioned to the outfit rather than to your body... does this make sense? Like the collar is the same proportion to the shirt as it is to Seras, but it also isn't proportioned to your own body and neck. This should explain it a bit. I'm noticing some of the same stuff with wigs. You may have to make a wig have either more or less volume than the actual character for it to look right on your head.

Your features also seem to get lost in the camera sometimes. For the female characters, you might want to consider fake lashes; I was anti-fake lashes for the longest time for some reason but now I realize exactly how much they add! Look up theatrical "straight makeup" and try adapting some of those contouring techniques in a more subtle way that looks OK from close up, not just from 50 feet away like onstage. It'll help you photograph better.
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
-Nayami-
Makai tenjou!

Hanyaan - You're so hard to critique because you're amazing, but I'll try.

You obviously are very talented with make-up, and it's almost like you're able to change your facial features, depending on the costume - very cool. I would like to see a little bit more color on your face when you're dressed as female characters - while very well done, it sometimes seems to photograph a little bit flat.

Otherwise, I really like the diversity in your gallery! It seems like you cosplay characters from a bit of everything, which is awesome.
Son Goku - Dragonball Z

@NayamiP
-Nayami- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #40
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

THIS THREAD WILL LIVE!

-Nayami- : First off, thanks! I do need to work on not washing myself out dressed as a girl... I also need to work on makeup for black wigs, I think. :x whoops

Someone already touched on the mask being a bit too large for Cross, but one thing I think would really help you would be to add multiple colors to the drawn-on beard. Adding in some dark red-brown in short strokes along with the red you already have would make it look more realistic and help make it show up better.
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #41
Chaoticthorns

Hanyaan- its really hard to critique you since all your outfits are amazing, clean and well done. You show great poses in ur pics and your facial expressions are great as well.
Chaoticthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #42
Lallafa
Superficially Delightful

What an awesome thread! I don't post much, but this seems fun AND helpful!

Chaoticthorns:

I'm not sure if this is something you've fixed, since the pictures of your Ciel seem to be mostly a test run and I'm guilty of not fully preparing for pics like that myself, but such a gorgeous costume should be ironed! It's noticeably wrinkling on the jacket and pants. For a wealthy kid like (I think? haven't read it) he is you could even probably starch your stuff a bit.

Let's see what else...For photos it seems like you force your expression a bit? Totally understandable if you're posing for a while, of course, but it's something to work on. Like you look lovely in this shot http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3015001/big/ but most of the other ones you end up pursing your lips, and it makes your chin kind of get lost. Look up some of the tricks models use for smiling, like holding your tongue on the roof of your mouth. And let your eyes smile a bit more too! For serious poses try some different angles for your face. A good way to practice this is to start in front of a mirror for a while, then move away from the mirror and have a friend take some shots of you, so you can start learning how each expression feels without checkin' yourself out.
Lallafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #43
Stina006
Even in darkness...

At Lallafa You have got to be the best Pinkie Pie GINJINKA I have ever seen. Ever.

Honestly for all your stuff I'm finding it hard to criticize anything.
OK Your Flannery!
Now I know you obviously opted on a longer shirt, which I would do as well, But if you made the jeans baggier and lighter it would be slightly more accurate...Maybe you could find some poses and take some candid shots?
and that's all I got.
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #44
Riku-Risa
Stuffed animal

Stina006: In your gallery, there is one singel thing that just blows right up into my face imeadently (spelt?): Locations. I think you would need some awesome locations to make your photos unique.. Try find a photographer who is eager to try new angels.. I really think it would be great :3
... however, I think you're a really cute Rena ^w^ It would be nice with a dark location for that cosplay.. some old building (like; not historical old, but like a closed fabric or such? ) would be great
Riku-Risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #45
Stina006
Even in darkness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku-Risa View Post
Stina006: In your gallery, there is one singel thing that just blows right up into my face imeadently (spelt?): Locations. I think you would need some awesome locations to make your photos unique.. Try find a photographer who is eager to try new angels.. I really think it would be great :3
... however, I think you're a really cute Rena ^w^ It would be nice with a dark location for that cosplay.. some old building (like; not historical old, but like a closed fabric or such? ) would be great
<SKIP ME> Something came to my mind too when you said that! My friend actually found an abandoned trailer park...I was a tad chicken to go with him to see it BUT i think that'll make a good location, what do you think?
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote