Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #31
Riku-Risa
Stuffed animal
 
Riku-Risa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosplay_Rose View Post

That said, everyone else has the same right to dislike genderbends, but same rules apply, keep it to yourself, don't ruin anyone else's good time, especially if you're not ruining yours. And if simply seeing a genderbent character legitimately ruins your good time, you have more issues than just disliking genderbent characters.
.
Agree agree
Riku-Risa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #32
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend
 
Blood_Sword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,837
I guess what I'm about to say has already been said here but.. oh well, I'll contribute anyway.

So I think some people do genderbends because they have a reason to, maybe they're uncomfortable with crossplaying or something that hinders them from cosplaying the character's actual gender. It's all a go for me, to each their own.

I do not have anything against genderbends personally, but I'm not too thrilled to see someone doing it just for the chance to make a (sophisticated) male character look like a complete slut. Because, hey, for example, let's say someone's going to do a female version of Byakuya Kuchiki from Bleach. It isn't the best idea ever to go dressed in nothing more but a bikini and a wig for him.. because... that doesn't suit Byakuya's personality at all. Of course if the character is a pretty much shirtless man (like Kamina from TTGL) then a genderbended version of him could very much translate into something revealing. Just a "what would this character wear if they were the opposite gender?" thought is good to keep in mind.
__________________

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan
Levi (suit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #33
Convulsive
My name is Kan
 
Convulsive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,544
Actually, this is what I do. It's the only thing I cosplay* and I enjoy getting to take the male character and making female versions of them! The reason why I genderbend is because my favourite characters are always male, but I am not comfortable with crossplaying. Also, I am one of those people that stresses out when someone is better than me. So when I genderbend, nobody can really beat me since it is considered an original design. I, personally, will always identify myself with female, and do not ever want to identify otherwise, even in costume**.

On the topic of Sluttifying, I actually had someone call me out on CGL because apparantly I, quote, "give genderbending a bad name .... [mine] are horrendous, there is no creativity or effort put into them, all[ I ]do is tighten, shorten, and lengthen the wig, and slap thigh highs onto it. It is absolutely disgraceful to those that work hard on coming up with something original and creative that still suits the character."

And so this, I will explain myself here since it is a thread related, and so I can quote myself whenever needed, is my rebuttle to that.

1) "...all you do is tighten, shorten, and lengthen the wig..."
In mainstream fashion, most girls walk around with tight clothes on, usually short shorts or skirts in the summer time, with extensions in their hair. It is totally normal to see someone walk around with long hair and tight short clothes. Just because the skirt comes up above my fingertips does not make it slutty.
"...and slap thigh highs onto it..."
The only cosplay where I wear thigh-high stockings is Death the Kid. The reason why I chose to put him in a skirt and thigh highs is because as a male character, Kid wears a formal suit. The female equivelant would be this, correct? But we are also in the anime world where short skirts are the norm. Take one of his costars, Maka Albarn, for example. Just look at that skirt. look at it. I was basing his outfit on the real world equivalent and the way the rest of the characters in the series looked. I also am very proud of my physique (mostly only my legs and midriff), so I enjoy showing off what I have. I'm used to wearing tiny skirts from cheerleading so I'm totally comfortable running around in a miniature pencil skirt. The thigh highs were chosen to keep the same level of black in the femme version as in the suit.

2) the reason why I don't create "original outfits" is because I try to keep the outfit as close the cannon male outfit as possible, while still making it extremely easy to be recognized as female.

* except vocaloids, I only cosplay female vocaloids since they have so many outfits, and casual outfits, since I don't neccessarily 'compete' in those.
** the only time I EVER identified as male in costume was halloween, I was dressed as Kyle from south park at school. Now, the 'normies' don't know what genderbending is, and I really just wanted to be recognized all day without explaining what I was. I didn't bind or create the male 'look', I simply only identified as a male character, while still looking as feminine as usual.


So, hopefully, that explains a little tidbit?
__________________

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #34
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...
 
AirVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmodic View Post
Actually, this is what I do. It's the only thing I cosplay* and I enjoy getting to take the male character and making female versions of them! The reason why I genderbend is because my favourite characters are always male, but I am not comfortable with crossplaying. Also, I am one of those people that stresses out when someone is better than me. So when I genderbend, nobody can really beat me since it is considered an original design. I, personally, will always identify myself with female, and do not ever want to identify otherwise, even in costume**.

On the topic of Sluttifying, I actually had someone call me out on CGL because apparently I, quote, "give genderbending a bad name .... [mine] are horrendous, there is no creativity or effort put into them, all[ I ]do is tighten, shorten, and lengthen the wig, and slap thigh highs onto it. It is absolutely disgraceful to those that work hard on coming up with something original and creative that still suits the character."

And so this, I will explain myself here since it is a thread related, and so I can quote myself whenever needed, is my rebuttle to that.

1) "...all you do is tighten, shorten, and lengthen the wig..."
In mainstream fashion, most girls walk around with tight clothes on, usually short shorts or skirts in the summer time, with extensions in their hair. It is totally normal to see someone walk around with long hair and tight short clothes. Just because the skirt comes up above my fingertips does not make it slutty.
"...and slap thigh highs onto it..."
The only cosplay where I wear thigh-high stockings is Death the Kid. The reason why I chose to put him in a skirt and thigh highs is because as a male character, Kid wears a formal suit. The female equivelant would be this, correct? But we are also in the anime world where short skirts are the norm. Take one of his costars, Maka Albarn, for example. Just look at that skirt. look at it. I was basing his outfit on the real world equivalent and the way the rest of the characters in the series looked. I also am very proud of my physique (mostly only my legs and midriff), so I enjoy showing off what I have. I'm used to wearing tiny skirts from cheerleading so I'm totally comfortable running around in a miniature pencil skirt. The thigh highs were chosen to keep the same level of black in the femme version as in the suit.

2) the reason why I don't create "original outfits" is because I try to keep the outfit as close the cannon male outfit as possible, while still making it extremely easy to be recognized as female.
As someone who frequently genderbends my fave characters for fun, I have to disagree. I would LOVE to cosplay a genderbend but before I do, I plan out everything. You have to consider many things when you GB or Gijinka something as in the character and the actions they take on a daily basis. Like DTK, we'll use him for an example. You should stick with the jacket not only because of the fact that that's his signature look, but because "the suit look" as you call it, is something you want to transfer. It's a part of his character.
As for the skirt. A skirt is fine and dandy, but a plain pleated black skirt (with black tights) is a good transition from pants to skirt. BECAUSE The pleats being pressed and even is important. DTK stresses over symmetry so that gives you a good chance to have an "in-Character" moment at a con.
"MY PLEATS ARE ARY. I HAVE NO REASON TO LIVE" etc etc.
And for the wig, Long hair would probably get in the way of him using Patty and Liz in a fight. A shoulder length wig that flips out at the bottom and a blunt fringe would be perfect. Feminine, yet recognizable.
Here have a doodle:
http://i42.tinypic.com/11biw3t.png

Genderbends are not just tight clothes, boobs, short skirts, high heels and long hair. there's a character behind it. Please consider that if you plan on genderbending in the future.
As for crossplaying, binding is really suggested, unless you're 9 and boobless.

(also what you cosplay has nothing to do with your gender indentity, so please don't say that. Some people could be offended.)
Trying to help.
__________________
2014 - Year of the Fate
Katsucon 2014
Archer (Stay Night)
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Shirou Kotomine (Apocrypha)
Archer (Stay Night)

Last edited by AirVee : 11-04-2011 at 08:41 PM.
AirVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
DingDing
Registered User
 
DingDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 210
Sorry to bump the thread with my own question, but it relates!
So many people here are saying how you should stick to the character's personality and normal outfit and such. Well, what about sexy no jutsu cosplays?
Do you think it is okay to change what the character would wear as a female? To make it cuter or whatever.

Thoughts?
__________________
While I continue to live, I need a reason.
I exist to kill all humans other than myself.
-Gaara

My da: http://allebasi-ding.deviantart.com/

Cosplays:

Cosplays:
ANBU Naruto
Lucy - Elfen Lied
SNJ Neji
Gaara (Chunin) - Naruto
Alice - Resident Evil: Apocalypse (WIP)
DingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #36
Convulsive
My name is Kan
 
Convulsive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVee View Post
As someone who frequently genderbends my fave characters for fun, I have to disagree. I would LOVE to cosplay a genderbend but before I do, I plan out everything. You have to consider many things when you GB or Gijinka something as in the character and the actions they take on a daily basis.
Oh god, so do I... I never said I didn't plan them out. This was my first cosplay so it took ages to figure out, and I had to resew the stupid vest thing 5 times.

Quote:
Like DTK, we'll use him for an example. You should stick with the jacket not only because of the fact that that's his signature look, but because "the suit look" as you call it, is something you want to transfer. It's a part of his character.
As for the skirt. A skirt is fine and dandy, but a plain pleated black skirt (with black tights) is a good transition from pants to skirt. BECAUSE The pleats being pressed and even is important. DTK stresses over symmetry so that gives you a good chance to have an "in-Character" moment at a con.
"MY PLEATS ARE ARY. I HAVE NO REASON TO LIVE" etc etc.
that was actually my first idea, the whole pleated skirt thing. But I could not find a plain black pleated skirt nor can I sew pleats worth shoznit so I had to go with a black pencil skirt from PacSun. The stockings also functioned as gun holsters, and I had in-character anxiety attacks over one stocking being longer than the other.

Quote:
And for the wig, Long hair would probably get in the way of him using Patty and Liz in a fight. A shoulder length wig that flips out at the bottom and a blunt fringe would be perfect. Feminine, yet recognizable.
Here have a doodle:
http://i42.tinypic.com/11biw3t.png
I realize that long hair probably isn't practical in his situations, but I am more comfortable with long hair(I don't think I'm as attractive, I guess, with short hair.) , and I enjoy having long wigs, so I bent the costume to my needs here aswell.

Quote:
Genderbends are not just tight clothes, boobs, short skirts, high heels and long hair. there's a character behind it. Please consider that if you plan on genderbending in the future.
....I didn't say they were. In fact, that's exactly what I was trying not to say, and what I was defending.

Quote:
or crossplaying, binding is really suggested, unless you're 9 and boobless.
well, as I said before.... it was a silly halloween thing at school, I'm not going to go all-out for a bunch of normies who don't even know what binding is. Plus that's just an uncomfortable idea to me altogether.

Quote:
cosplay has nothing to do with your gender indentity, so please don't say that. Some people could be offended.)
Trying to help.
..oops. I just kinda meant, I want to be looked at and thought of as a girl all the time. I didn't mean it like....ya know. I'm sorry if I offended anybody.
__________________

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

Last edited by Convulsive : 11-04-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #37
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...
 
AirVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingDing View Post
Sorry to bump the thread with my own question, but it relates!
So many people here are saying how you should stick to the character's personality and normal outfit and such. Well, what about sexy no jutsu cosplays?
Do you think it is okay to change what the character would wear as a female? To make it cuter or whatever.

Thoughts?
SNJ is meant to be visually enticing and distracting using the parts of the female anatomy that are sexually attractive. (face, legs, breasts) However keep in mind cons and people around you. A certain amount of skin shown may be unacceptable. Really what character you do should tell you what to show and how. Gaara would be more modest while Deidara would be more flamboyant and playful. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmodic View Post
Oh god, so do I... I never said I didn't plan them out. This was my first cosplay so it took ages to figure out, and I had to resew the stupid vest thing 5 times.

that was actually my first idea, the whole pleated skirt thing. But I could not find a plain black pleated skirt nor can I sew pleats worth shoznit so I had to go with a black pencil skirt from PacSun. The stockings also functioned as gun holsters, and I had in-character anxiety attacks over one stocking being longer than the other.

I realize that long hair probably isn't practical in his situations, but I am more comfortable with long hair(I don't think I'm as attractive, I guess, with short hair.) , and I enjoy having long wigs, so I bent the costume to my needs here aswell.

....I didn't say they were. In fact, that's exactly what I was trying not to say, and what I was defending.

well, as I said before.... it was a silly halloween thing at school, I'm not going to go all-out for a bunch of normies who don't even know what binding is. Plus that's just an uncomfortable idea to me altogether.

..oops. I just kinda meant, I want to be looked at and thought of as a girl all the time. I didn't mean it like....ya know. I'm sorry if I offended anybody.
You...basically responded with a huge excuse for why you couldn't do this versus taking it and thinking "hm, maybe I could fix this up for next time?"
"I can't wear this skirt because they didn't have it"
Then wait? Lots of people push back cosplays to have them right later. Once it's perfect to you, it fills you with pride. If you can do something, but not the way you want to, why do it?
I've been putting off a lot of cosplays because of that one or 2 things that would make it perfect to me.

I never said you didn't plan them out either but I'm just saying as a general thing where other people maybe reading, don't rush. Rush jobs show more than you think and don't exactly drag someones attention towards you, which seems to be what you want through all this.

I was mentioning Binding in case others wanted to crossplay. It's amazing how something so simple, when overlooked, can dramatically kill a cosplay visually. Genderbending goes both ways.
Once again, I'm only trying to help.
__________________
2014 - Year of the Fate
Katsucon 2014
Archer (Stay Night)
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Shirou Kotomine (Apocrypha)
Archer (Stay Night)
AirVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #38
Convulsive
My name is Kan
 
Convulsive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVee View Post
You...basically responded with a huge excuse for why you couldn't do this versus taking it and thinking "hm, maybe I could fix this up for next time?"
"I can't wear this skirt because they didn't have it"
Then wait? Lots of people push back cosplays to have them right later. Once it's perfect to you, it fills you with pride. If you can do something, but not the way you want to, why do it?
I've been putting off a lot of cosplays because of that one or 2 things that would make it perfect to me.
well, I'm one of those "do it now or I'll lose interest" kind of people, you know? A short cosplay attention span, I guess.

Quote:
I never said you didn't plan them out either but I'm just saying as a general thing where other people maybe reading, don't rush. Rush jobs show more than you think and don't exactly drag someones attention towards you, which seems to be what you want through all this.
Ah, I see.

Quote:
I was mentioning Binding in case others wanted to crossplay. It's amazing how something so simple, when overlooked, can dramatically kill a cosplay visually. Genderbending goes both ways.
Once again, I'm only trying to help.
Oh, I understand ya. I thought you were replying to me directly.
I completely understand, and I appreciate your help, Vee.
__________________

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #39
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...
 
AirVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmodic View Post
well, I'm one of those "do it now or I'll lose interest" kind of people, you know? A short cosplay attention span, I guess.
Ah, I see.
Oh, I understand ya. I thought you were replying to me directly.
I completely understand, and I appreciate your help, Vee.
Ah, same on occassion. If I love it enough I'll put if off though. I have a few on my list I've been wanting to do since I began cosplaying hahaha

If you need any help or aren't sure about something, just drop a message in my direction and I'll get right back to you.
that goes for anyone who needs help finding something.
__________________
2014 - Year of the Fate
Katsucon 2014
Archer (Stay Night)
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Shirou Kotomine (Apocrypha)
Archer (Stay Night)
AirVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #40
Convulsive
My name is Kan
 
Convulsive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVee View Post
Ah, same on occassion. If I love it enough I'll put if off though. I have a few on my list I've been wanting to do since I began cosplaying hahaha

If you need any help or aren't sure about something, just drop a message in my direction and I'll get right back to you.
that goes for anyone who needs help finding something.
Alrighty, thank you! ^^
__________________

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #41
bcmilk
Registered User
 
bcmilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 165
I personally like the male versions of a female character.... i think that's pretty cool. Like Male Stocking or Male Panty. On the other hand female versions of male characters are... mostly quite revealing. If the re-design is really good, I love it. Or if they make a 'cool' female version instead of a slutty one, I'm happy!
bcmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #42
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth
 
Ineedaname9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,559
I don't have much of an opinion on others cosplays but I myself don't genderbend >.> I bind and do crossplays.
__________________
ALA line up: Hades - Kamigami no Asobi, Raito - Hamatora, Kaname - Brothers Conflict, Hak - Akatsuki no Yona, Rikio - K project
Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #43
ARIADecember
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 498
I see no problem with it, what i consider a good gender-bend, someone else won't. Do some of them annoy me, yes, but I doesn't matter If I do or don't like it.
ARIADecember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #44
RickyFromVegas
Cosplaying Photographer
 
RickyFromVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,129
Leave Brittany alone!
RickyFromVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #45
Anmanda
Registered User
 
Anmanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 710
I'll just throw in my own opinion here too, even though most things have already been said.

I like the idea of genderbending characters for cosplay, I don't see why peopel regard it like it's some kind of problem, some people maybe just want to do it because they find it more creative and fun, or because they don't want to dress up as the opposite gender, and therefore make up their own version according to the gender of the cosplayer. I've seen some really impressive genderbent cosplays, and I love seeing well made ones in general, I think it's fun when people come up with own versions of characters, it's nice with a little variation from most cosplayers who stick to the official designs. It is a huge plus though if the person doing the genderbent version takes the characters personality in consideration, like Blood_Sword said.

And the "sexy" genderbend versions, well, I don't mind people wearing them, even though I'm not doing it myself and find it a little inappropirate to genderbend a character just so you can wear a minimum amount of cloth on your body. But as previously stated, I don't mind, it's their costume, not mine, if I don't like it, I just don't have to look at it, right?
__________________
Facebook WorldCosplay Youtube deviantART Blog
Feel free to add me on any of those sites \OuO/
Anmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.