Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #46
tereshkova2001

The one genderbending incident I participated in came across because the women decided "wouldn't it be easier to just throw on a Hawaiian shirt and be Wash instead of getting all dolled up as Inara?" So it was simpler and easier to genderbend, as well as a neat design challenge. When we got the guys involved as well, we made a point of redesigning the clothing so it wasn't drag and wasn't slutty, just male!Kaylee or female!Mal.
I think the key to any costume redesign is to take the character into account. What would they wear if they were another gender, or if they were being casual, or if they were going out in the snow?
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #47
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Ah I forgot I do fem!Russia, but she is has an official outfit. So Idk if that actually counts...

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #48
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

I think that it can be good if it's done well. Some series even have official genderbends of the characters like Hetalia.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #49
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

I dont like it...if you are wanting to dress as a certain character..why not strap the puppies down and ACTUALLY cosplay the character. this whole..I put my character is a lolita outfit and call it good, or dressing them up as a hooker....it makes me go...WHY!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
I might not look like a boy, but I still crossplay, and I've never done a gender bender cosplay. even when i was young and just starting. I didnt fear dressing as a boy...I just did it.

a friend of mine (who cosplays the best Hughes ever) got told off by a gender bending Ed saying that because she dresses up like a boy and doesn't make the character a girl like her natural gender, shes a dyke. I could slap that girl....
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #50
Convulsive
My name is Kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Genius View Post
a friend of mine (who cosplays the best Hughes ever) got told off by a gender bending Ed saying that because she dresses up like a boy and doesn't make the character a girl like her natural gender, shes a dyke. I could slap that girl....
Okay, now that is just absolutely wrong. The GB Ed should really get a good pimp slap in the face. There are some really awesome straight female crossplayers, and hell, that's SUPER offensive to the lesbian crossplayers! I can't imagine what might have went down. Some people really need to think before they speak.... It's sad.

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #51
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmodic View Post
Okay, now that is just absolutely wrong. The GB Ed should really get a good pimp slap in the face. There are some really awesome straight female crossplayers, and hell, that's SUPER offensive to the lesbian crossplayers! I can't imagine what might have went down. Some people really need to think before they speak.... It's sad.
beleive me..I would probably have done just that...but...my friend didnt tell me about this until just recently...im no longer able to attack with that reason in mind....BUT....know who she is >_> *glares in random direction that the girly might be in*
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #52
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

I'm sure others have said this already, but oh well.

I honestly don't care what people do. I do not appreciate gender-bends that go from fully clothed to... barely covered, but I honestly don't care. I believe that gender-bend can be done tastefully, which is something I'm striving for in a set of gender-bent cosplays. Neither of them (one mtf, one ftm) show any more skin than the original design, and both designs are based entirely on the originals. I spent a great deal of time on the designs to make sure they would still be recognizable while still being creative and interesting (as well as fitting to our body types), and not provocative.

If it's tastefully done, good for the cosplayer. If it's not, oh well. It's not going to ruin my day.
~Borderlands 2: Buzzaxe (Slowly getting there)

Fixing:
~Taokaka~ ~Skyrim Mage~

Cosplay Tumblr
DeviantArt
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #53
irishattherock

I did a fem!Eleventh Doctor because I thought it would be fun. It was. Shouldn't that be enough of a reason?
irishattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #54
SirDapperPants
Registered... Uh...

First off, before I give my opinion, I just want to say that you should do whatever you want; don't let strangers' opinions bother you.
Now, I really do not like male to females, because girls can wear whatever guys can wear, and it'd be socially acceptable. Girls also can have very short hair, so I don't really get it. I also can't imagine that even if certain guys were girls that they would wear skirts/dresses.

Female to male makes a bit more sense to me, because most guys would never wear the skirts and dresses most anime girls wear. A lot of guys don't have and/or want long hair, so I get that, too.

That's just my opinion; I won't bash anyone for doing what they want. I wouldn't mind seeing a genderbend at a convention, and even if I did, it's not like I'd confront them about it.
SirDapperPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #55
Convulsive
My name is Kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishattherock View Post
I did a fem!Eleventh Doctor because I thought it would be fun. It was. Shouldn't that be enough of a reason?
I agree wholeheartedly with this.
Cosplay is FOR FUN. So as long as we're having fun (legally, mind you) that's all that matters.

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #56
Reinna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Genius View Post
I dont like it...if you are wanting to dress as a certain character..why not strap the puppies down and ACTUALLY cosplay the character. this whole..I put my character is a lolita outfit and call it good, or dressing them up as a hooker....it makes me go...WHY!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
I might not look like a boy, but I still crossplay, and I've never done a gender bender cosplay. even when i was young and just starting. I didnt fear dressing as a boy...I just did it.

That last bit is pretty damn dumb, but crossplay isn't necessarily just as easy as that either. Binding can be really hard for some girls. Personally, I don't have much around the chest so binding for me is as easy as putting on a compression shirt or winding around a few strips of bandaging. For some of my friends, binding takes almost as much time as putting on the costume itself, and afterwards they can't eat, can't really breathe, and ache for the next few days. The discomfort alone is enough to make a lot of people (who do fantastic crossplay otherwise) reconsider doing male cosplays in the future. Gender swapped cosplay is a good way to get around that obstacle.
Reinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #57
Lightning Baron
School of Puzzle Fighter

May have been mentioned before but, why does a female version of a male character have to be "sexy".

http://lightning--baron.deviantart.com/
Lightning Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #58
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Baron View Post
May have been mentioned before but, why does a female version of a male character have to be "sexy".
Because the social standard is "women must be sexy at all times" comes from male chauvinist pigs who objectify women and shallow women who think that to get a decent man they must look as beautiful as possible or he wont want them. (harsh, but that's society's view) Thankfully this is changing a little, but as the old adage goes "sex sells!" so it'll never go away and we are forcing this on children to breed another generation who feels the same way.

If you mean on a literal level not a social one, then there is no reason except to make it clear it's a gender bender "female version" instead of a poorly-done crossplay. Think about this: is you saw a girl dressed as character X wearing X's normal T-shirt and jeans but with no chest binding or such, could you immediately know if it's a crossplay or a gender-bender?
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #59
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinna View Post
That last bit is pretty damn dumb, but crossplay isn't necessarily just as easy as that either. Binding can be really hard for some girls. Personally, I don't have much around the chest so binding for me is as easy as putting on a compression shirt or winding around a few strips of bandaging. For some of my friends, binding takes almost as much time as putting on the costume itself, and afterwards they can't eat, can't really breathe, and ache for the next few days. The discomfort alone is enough to make a lot of people (who do fantastic crossplay otherwise) reconsider doing male cosplays in the future. Gender swapped cosplay is a good way to get around that obstacle.
This is the problem I have. I cannot bind at all without having trouble breathing. So gender swapping is the perfect way to go for me.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #60
Convulsive
My name is Kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko.Oni View Post
Because the social standard is "women must be sexy at all times" comes from male chauvinist pigs who objectify women and shallow women who think that to get a decent man they must look as beautiful as possible or he wont want them. (harsh, but that's society's view) Thankfully this is changing a little, but as the old adage goes "sex sells!" so it'll never go away and we are forcing this on children to breed another generation who feels the same way.

If you mean on a literal level not a social one, then there is no reason except to make it clear it's a gender bender "female version" instead of a poorly-done crossplay. Think about this: is you saw a girl dressed as character X wearing X's normal T-shirt and jeans but with no chest binding or such, could you immediately know if it's a crossplay or a gender-bender?
I like (and agree) with this argument.

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR