Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
yuyuyu123
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Opinions on tan skinned anime characters.

I am dark skinned and I rarely see tan characters from anime and when I lived in Tokyo I noticed alot of tan asians. Whats wrong with tan skinned I love my skin but it isn't as appreciated? Opinions? please share.
yuyuyu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Riku-Risa
Stuffed animal
 
Riku-Risa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 76
Well, in "real life" (not cosplay) I find people who are naturally tanned, prettier than all pale people.. (I'm extremely pale myself.. OTL) but when it comes to cosplay, most characters are all pale.. I've heard that many japaneses' wanna be pale, so maybe that's the reason? I don't know.. either you could find some of those characters who actually is tanned, or else you can try with some pale foundation and powder? :3
Riku-Risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,485
I believe the general consensus is that skin colour isn't really considered a problem for cosplaying a character (outside of characters with unnatural skin colours, of course).

You might want to avoid making too many of these "opinions on..." topics by the way.

Also, anime characters are often deliberately ambiguous in design; http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mukokuseki
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini
 
tarinalove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 993
Having naturally darker skin is fine. Fake and baking is not. See snookie from jersey shore. Ick.
And there are tanned characters see Tenchi and look into older animes or western shows or live action.
__________________
Go like and comment on my page!

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing
 
ashe2kawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,581
Although there may be few, i dont find it really offensive that i barely see other skin tones in an anime. where you live or grow often has to deal with your outlook on some things.

like for instance since they live in tokyo, you cant really blame them for drawing the pale characters since they do typically have a fair complexion.

if a person lived here, skin tones might vary. But as i said before it doesnt really bother me.
__________________



~Working On~
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Clawdeen Wolf Ver. (Monster High)~20%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)

~Planning Stages~
Cana Alberona (Fairy Tale)
Yuiko Hawatari (Loveless)
Ranka Lee (Macross Frontier)

~On Hold~
Scheherazade Al-Rahman(Trinity Blood)~3%
Princess of the Crystal (Mawaru Penguindrum)~10%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,854
In the real world we can't expect people of other skin tones to not cosplay because that's unfair. Do what cosplay makes you happy =3
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
pinoycosplay
Fighting VG Specialist
 
pinoycosplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku-Risa View Post
Well, in "real life" (not cosplay) I find people who are naturally tanned, prettier than all pale people.. (I'm extremely pale myself.. OTL) but when it comes to cosplay, most characters are all pale.. I've heard that many japaneses' wanna be pale, so maybe that's the reason? I don't know.. either you could find some of those characters who actually is tanned, or else you can try with some pale foundation and powder? :3
In the Philippines, instead of sun tan oil you will find "whitening creams" Being seen with a dark tan is considered a sign of being "lower class" because you have the tan probably because you are working outside in the fields. To be pale in the Philippines is a goal for many women.

But isn't that life? we always want want we don't have? (i.e. dark wants to be white and white wants to be dark)
pinoycosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
In the Philippines, instead of sun tan oil you will find "whitening creams" Being seen with a dark tan is considered a sign of being "lower class" because you have the tan probably because you are working outside in the fields. To be pale in the Philippines is a goal for many women.

But isn't that life? we always want want we don't have? (i.e. dark wants to be white and white wants to be dark)
In America it's also a common practice for darker skinned african american women to try and lighten their skin. Also they tend to use straightening creams a lot for their hair.

I personally like being pale but only because it's my natural skin tone and I don't want skin cancer so I avoid the sun like the plague and cake on the sun screen in the summer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
In the Philippines, instead of sun tan oil you will find "whitening creams" Being seen with a dark tan is considered a sign of being "lower class" because you have the tan probably because you are working outside in the fields. To be pale in the Philippines is a goal for many women.

But isn't that life? we always want want we don't have? (i.e. dark wants to be white and white wants to be dark)
Actually the same was true of pale skin in Europe in times gone by (it's where the phrase "blue blooded" comes from; aristocrats had pale skin which made their veins visible below it). Eventually, however, holidays to exotic locals became fashionable so a tan became the means by which the rich (and emerging middle class) could show off their wealth.
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 403
The only time I personally think it matters, if if being super-pale is an important attribute to the character (Mizore from Rosario+Vampire is a 'snow witch' for example) otherwise, I don't see it as an issue. Though I do find it interesting that in Anime the general consensus is your wither pale white or... a neko! lol yeah almost no darker-skinned people in anime unless you have some coal-black Africans or something... strange...
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.